• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I'm thinking if that was my kid, there would be some lessons to teach. Most would likely involve M80s or similar in a cast iron pot next to an unsuspecting pillow. That or lots of chorse and traditional "Ladies Work" until he decided to man up. I have no kids myself. I don't wonder why, but my methods have been proven effective (haven't tried the one I just laid out so can't say for sure there).

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    My boys were 3 years old when they sat in my lap and did mag dumps on the ar while I was holding it.

My 6 year old now loves doing mag dumps with the 308 socom.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The fact that my oldest nephew is only 3 is the ONLY reason he hasn't been dragged to the range already. I understand that there's a time when loud noises being scary is entirely appropriate, regardless of gender. My beef is with kids (and the parents of such kids) who somehow reach their teenage years without growing out of it. I mean what the hell... does mommy still cut the crusts off their bread at 15?

Probably. Helicopter moms who hen-peck and belittle their husbands to death are the bane of a testosterone fueled America.

Even if the husband wanted to take his son shooting it often times isn't worth the :poop:-storm he'll have to take from his wife.

Luckily my wife likes loud cars, loud music, and loud guns, so I'm good to go.

What can we expect when every show on television depicts dad as a bumbling idiot?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't think anyone is saying no hearing protection, just that you don't have to be afraid of things.

My dad shot often with no ears, worked construction for years and his hearing is SHOT. I wear protection religiously. Mowing, shooting, using power tools. etc.

My dad and FIL are both hard of hearing at the ripe old age of 55 due to abusing it when they were younger. No thanks.

If the kid has hearing protection, what's the big deal? My experience with shooting a 5.56 NATO weapon is that it's just one step up from a .22 LR.

It's not like he's shooting 3" slugs out of a 12 ga or something.

My 8 y/o "nephew" (not really but close enough) showed off his bruised shoulder as a badge of honor at his school.

So, there is some hope.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    When I was a boy (younger than 15), I hated going to see fireworks. My dad always assumed it was because they scared me, but the truth that he refused to believe was that the noise was physically painful to my ears, even with ear plugs in. Don't be so quick to assume any particular kid is afraid of loud noises. Kids have much more sensitive hearing than many adults give them credit for. Instead, try to see if you can find alternatives that work. Maybe double up on plugs and muffs, or give them a chance to listen from a distance and edge their way closer as they get used to the sound.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    OMG don't get me started...

I like to listen to Dennis Miller on the way home, and it really gets him fired up to talk about that as well. He went on a 5 minute rant about a Wal-Mart commericial where the dad comes home and mom is making steak for dinner like it's a big special treat and dad can't figure out the occasion is. I lol'd...

When the dad is depicted as a strong male figure, he's often the heel or vilian in whatever the situation happens to be.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    One of the reasons young guys are weenies anymore is so they can pick up chicks. Which guy is going to pick up more chicks, the manly country boy or the twilight/metrosexual/gay looking guy?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    When I was a boy (younger than 15), I hated going to see fireworks. My dad always assumed it was because they scared me, but the truth that he refused to believe was that the noise was physically painful to my ears, even with ear plugs in. Don't be so quick to assume any particular kid is afraid of loud noises. Kids have much more sensitive hearing than many adults give them credit for. Instead, try to see if you can find alternatives that work. Maybe double up on plugs and muffs, or give them a chance to listen from a distance and edge their way closer as they get used to the sound.

When I was first introduced to guns, it was by my Uncle from Wyoming, and it was a Ruger black hawk. Nothing like being thrown into the deep end of the pool with a man you barely know. lol... I was 10 at the time I believe. Very intimidating for a young boy.

My dad was never into guns and neither was mom. It was always an "adult" thing and verboten for kids to fire much less own a rifle. I think I got my first BB gun when I was 13 or 14.

He didn't let me use any of the power tools either.

I

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    I must be lucky both my boys like to hear the boom, 8 yr old is hunting and shooting alot, he also wears hearing protection when we practice.
    Now the three year old could care less about loud noises, except sirens. For some reason that freaks him out,should I be worried? LOL

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    One of the reasons young guys are weenies anymore is so they can pick up chicks. Which guy is going to pick up more chicks, the manly country boy or the twilight/metrosexual/gay looking guy?

Well, I guess girls want a challenge and try to "turn you". :D

Most of the smarter girls go for the guys that can actually DO SOMETHING. You know those that don't have to pick up the phone when crap breaks. Seems like the percentage of those is much higher in the "country boy" group.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I must be lucky as well.

My 4.5 year old will sit next to me at the range (with ears and eyes) and enjoys the heck out of it. Doesn't matter what Im shooting, from the AK to the .22, he loves it. :)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well, I guess girls want a challenge and try to "turn you". :D

Most of the smarter girls go for the guys that can actually DO SOMETHING. You know those that don't have to pick up the phone when crap breaks. Seems like the percentage of those is much higher in the "country boy" group.

That's pretty true of our generation but look at the teenagers of today.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Alright Fellas... I'm gonna pitch in my :twocents:. I graduated from High School going on three year ago. I grew up with my grandfather, out in the middle of nowhere, who firmly believed that there was no such thing as an excuse, only reasons exist, elbow grease was the only way to clean anything, and that working was the only way to get strong, and he excercised his right to carry every chance he got. I got a Remmington 6mm for my 10th birthday, and I guess I fit into country boy category. I was in Boy Scouts, I have my Eagle. But I was a rarity in High School. I was courteous, respectful and responsible. I thought everyone was like that being raised by a man from the "Old Country"

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member