• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I've been thinking for a while about drinking the 1911 kool aid but don't have a bundle to spend. I'm looking for a full-size model of decent quality that will be mostly a range queen and maybe get me off the couch and into the occasional steel match or other competition. My budget is $900ish. I found a Colt Government XSE that I liked at Cabela's during the NRA sale over the weekend, but didn't have the money in hand and I'm sure I can do better than Cabela's non-sale pricing. Any suggestions on best value in the sub-$1k 1911's? Also, after looking through 25 pages of existing threads, I've found PSS and Bite the Bullet mentioned as shops with good 1911 selections. Any others I should think about in the central or northwest portions of the state and are prices at the Indy area shops good enough to make a 2 hour drive to browse?

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Nothing like a "hands on" visit to a shop with a good selection of 1911s to help you decide on which brand and model is right for you. If you take a very close look at the machining and fit you might find one you will be happy with. With the price range you are looking at a Colt or Kimber will fit in your budget without having spend extra money on gunsmith work to get you a nice functioning pistol.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've been thinking for a while about drinking the 1911 kool aid but don't have a bundle to spend. I'm looking for a full-size model of decent quality that will be mostly a range queen and maybe get me off the couch and into the occasional steel match or other competition. My budget is $900ish. I found a Colt Government XSE that I liked at Cabela's during the NRA sale over the weekend, but didn't have the money in hand and I'm sure I can do better than Cabela's non-sale pricing. Any suggestions on best value in the sub-$1k 1911's? Also, after looking through 25 pages of existing threads, I've found PSS and Bite the Bullet mentioned as shops with good 1911 selections. Any others I should think about in the central or northwest portions of the state and are prices at the Indy area shops good enough to make a 2 hour drive to browse?

you could always build a 1911 the way you want. 900 would make a pretty nice one

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Rock Island Armory or Springfield Armory

A Rock Island is about $399.00. I don't think you could go wrong with it, and you would still have plenty of money for ammo and holster and other goodies. :twocents:

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Kimber and Colt make some nice pistols, you should be able to pick one up for $800-$1000. I would say next is Springfield then Taurus and finally Rock Island Armory. One good thing about buying a nice 1911 is they usually hold their value extremely well.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    A Rock Island would make a nice "beginners" gun. You could pick one up cheap, and figure out what features you like best, then sell it and recoup some of your money and build one with all the features you like.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Thanks for all the responses. I've handled the Taurus and it just didn't feel right. I liked the balance of the commander-length Springfield I held (don't remember exact model) and the big Colt, but the big box stores generally price the Kimbers and Springfields out of my budget. Are there any shops other than PSS and Bite the Bullet in the central/NWI/northern areas that are must-see's when shopping for a 1911? I don't mind making a day trip out of shopping as long as I know I'll be seeing a good selection.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Feel the guns locally and then make a purchase online. There a few good deals out there to be had.

Couple months back, I picked up a Colt Trooper 4" at $325, deep blue, two grips and two holsters.

Deals are out there, just take your time looking around.

Super38

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    I was bitten by the 1911 bug about a month ago, never succumbed though. Ended up debating pretty hard over a Charles Daly Commander though. Found a couple around $500-$550 at the time. My other option was a used Para Ordinance P12-45 due to sentimental value for around $750-$800. After handling a ton of these, those were the two I came down with.

Only the Kimber was amazing though, I would have gotten one in a heartbeat if I had found it closer to the $800 tag.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for all the responses. I've handled the Taurus and it just didn't feel right. I liked the balance of the commander-length Springfield I held (don't remember exact model) and the big Colt, but the big box stores generally price the Kimbers and Springfields out of my budget. Are there any shops other than PSS and Bite the Bullet in the central/NWI/northern areas that are must-see's when shopping for a 1911? I don't mind making a day trip out of shopping as long as I know I'll be seeing a good selection.

Elmores in Greenwood had a very healthy selection of 1911s when I went down there a couple weeks ago - they had another Scoremaster in their case :): it was a little more pimped out than mine though.

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Feel the guns locally and then make a purchase online. There a few good deals out there to be had.

Couple months back, I picked up a Colt Trooper 4" at $325, deep blue, two grips and two holsters.

Deals are out there, just take your time looking around.

Super38
    :noway: Yeah, that's the way to support our local dealers!

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Hard to go wrong with Kimber, Springfield, or Colt. Also take a look at Para-Ordnace as they offer double stack versions. Sig and Wilson Combat make nice ones as well, but they may be a little pricey.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Although I said I look online, my last few buys have been at local dealers but I don't mind saving myself some money if I can find it online for a few hundred cheaper. As a matter of fact, a good friend of mine, an injured Vietnam vet (agent orange) makes money each and every time I buy a gun online. He's my FFL transfer and this is the only job he has, so yes I do keep some money locally when I make out of state purchases. And it give me time to visit with him.

A deal is a deal, period!

Primers are $40-55 a thousand locally (i've heard of gun shows selling them as high as $100 per 1,000) and online I can still get them $30 and under....Guess where I am going?

Some of the locals are price gouging... It's their business and if they feel my patronage isn't that important, I have no problems going elsewhere.

Super38

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Although I said I look online, my last few buys have been at local dealers but I don't mind saving myself some money if I can find it online for a few hundred cheaper. As a matter of fact, a good friend of mine, an injured Vietnam vet (agent orange) makes money each and every time I buy a gun online. He's my FFL transfer and this is the only job he has, so yes I do keep some money locally when I make out of state purchases. And it give me time to visit with him.

A deal is a deal, period!

Primers are $40-55 a thousand locally (i've heard of gun shows selling them as high as $100 per 1,000) and online I can still get them $30 and under....Guess where I am going?

Some of the locals are price gouging... It's their business and if they feel my patronage isn't that important, I have no problems going elsewhere.

Super38
    No you said "purchase online". No need to get all wadded up. Now back to the thread.:ingo:

Top Bottom