• ...and so much more!
  • Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    With a $990 budget you can pretty much look for whatever you want. I just let a Kimber go for less than I had in it because my son fell in love with it. I would not hesitate to go that route again.

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    I've owned two and liked them both. A loaded Springfield that was one of the best shooters I've ever owned, and a Rock Island that was more stripped down, but still shot well. Neither one had issues with feeding or ejecting.

Hunt4Fun

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I have had great luck with my springfield armory 1911's they can be had for around 750 ish new ( I picked up my SA loaded v-12 for 599.00 + tax used but like new condition) then you have some leftover for a holster & ammo .The kimbers are great as well but are usually a little pricey unless you can find one in good but used condition

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Elmore's has the best selection of 1911s outside of the 1500, hell, they may beat the 1500 for variety. Since they sell so many, they know them pretty damned well, so I'd head to Greenwood if I were close and looking for my first 1911.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    There are so many 1911 handguns to choose from do your research and you should be fine.

On that note - if you go with any major brand (Kimber, S&W, SA, Taurus, EB, Wilson, ect.) you will likely end up with a good pistol. There will obviously be differences as you get higher up into the price range - no MIM parts, better fit/finish, better feeding of hollowpoints, ect. Many feeding issues (at least by my observation) have been solved by getting good magazines - hollowpoints or FMJs. My Scoremaster had a bunch of problems with the crappy mags I got with it but once I got some Wilson magazines, I have had 300 flawless rounds down the pipe. Some hollowpoints and still no problems.

As long as you make sure it functions fine (if you plan on buying used) and you get good magazines you will be good to go.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The most bang for the buck, IMHO, is a Rock Island Armory.

But if I had $900 to spend, I'd spend it on a Springfield Loaded. Big R here has one for $830.

If you aren't averse to 9mm, the Para LTC is a commander sized gun, I've seen 'em around for $750-$800, and is the other 1911 platform I really, really want. Even more than the Springfield.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I've been thinking for a while about drinking the 1911 kool aid but don't have a bundle to spend. I'm looking for a full-size model of decent quality that will be mostly a range queen and maybe get me off the couch and into the occasional steel match or other competition. My budget is $900ish. I found a Colt Government XSE that I liked at Cabela's during the NRA sale over the weekend, but didn't have the money in hand and I'm sure I can do better than Cabela's non-sale pricing. Any suggestions on best value in the sub-$1k 1911's? Also, after looking through 25 pages of existing threads, I've found PSS and Bite the Bullet mentioned as shops with good 1911 selections. Any others I should think about in the central or northwest portions of the state and are prices at the Indy area shops good enough to make a 2 hour drive to browse?

Look at Colt or Springfield, new and used. While Rock Islands are rated good for the money, the operative words are "good for the money". Again, "Buy once; cry once." :rockwoot:

samariojeep

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Fishers
    I have a question for all you 1911 owners . i went pretty cheap when looking for my 1911. I bought myself a High Standard 1911, it shoots great, I enjoy the gun at the range. I recently purchased a stainless compensator on-line and after using it was very difficult to take it off . last time i went to the range my front sight fell off and i realized that the compensator was responsible for it. I am thinking about taking it to the gun smith at the castleton gander mountain . does anybody know any other gun smith , specially one that wont charge me much and more important does good work.
    I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. thank you

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Although I said I look online, my last few buys have been at local dealers but I don't mind saving myself some money if I can find it online for a few hundred cheaper. As a matter of fact, a good friend of mine, an injured Vietnam vet (agent orange) makes money each and every time I buy a gun online. He's my FFL transfer and this is the only job he has, so yes I do keep some money locally when I make out of state purchases. And it give me time to visit with him.

A deal is a deal, period!

Primers are $40-55 a thousand locally (i've heard of gun shows selling them as high as $100 per 1,000) and online I can still get them $30 and under....Guess where I am going?

Some of the locals are price gouging... It's their business and if they feel my patronage isn't that important, I have no problems going elsewhere.

Super38
    keep in mind that...
    online usually adds $25+shipping and hazmat for primers so local isn't as outrageous as it used to be.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If you do decide on a Colt XSE (other than the Combat Elite), you might want to hold out for a month or two as the newest production will be coming with a fitted beavertail grip safety (like on the Combat Elite).

Top Bottom