Would you use your weapon to stop a stranger from being raped?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you use your weapon to stop a stranger from being raped?

• Total voters

rocky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    absolutely I would

I would draw on him and order him to stop. If he did not I would feel sorry for him if you know what I mean.

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm conflicted.

Rape and murder share #1 on my sht list

Unless I saw a weapon, I wouldn't shoot. Without verbal warning - Pistol whip. Attempt to detain him. If he gets away... He does.. Wait with the victim until leo arrives. If they drew a weapon or fought back I'd fire.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Given how I feel violent/serial rapists should also receive the death denalty, it seems like an easy decision to make.

But given we're all in the CYA world today, you would have to at least tell him to stop before firing.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Yes, that's the way I understood the question, that it's a foregone conclusion, a presumed fact, that indeed, the "forceable felony" of rape was occurring. Therefore, force, including deadly force, would be justifiable under the circumstances.

The question as posed by OP seems to open up the field to two types of answers. The first answer is "Shoot, because it's justifiable." The second type of answer, and where I come out is "Intervene, and be willing to shoot, if it's necessary to stop the attack."

In other words, I'm willing to use deadly force if (A) justified and (B)necessary. They're not necessarily identical, usually, but not always. It's "B" that is the variable in this hypothetical. At least that's how I see it.
    You're exactly right, but both components are actually built into the statute (i.e., deadly force must be "necessary," in order to be "justified" - at least according to your "reasonable belief"):

"IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony."

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    so far 27 people would shoot right away with no verbal warning.

wouldnt they be right next to eachother? you'd better be one damn good shot.

i voted to draw, warn. whatever escalates from there, happens. i would definately feel compelled to intervene

That was my thought as well when I chose D. I'd have a hard time taking the shot if he were on top of her for fear of endangering her as well. You'd almost have to achieve some kind of separation before firing or at the very least, make him pause long enough to get the shot off. Either way, he would probably not walk out of that alley.

As bad as getting raped would be, I imagine getting shot by someone trying to help while it was happening would be worse.

I don't think my response would be any different if she were being raped than if she were being stabbed. Make sure the shot is clear, then take it as quickly as possible.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    No, walk away and call police.
    bar3-l.gif
    bar3.gif
    bar3-r.gif
    clear.gif
    3 1.02%
    :nuts:

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    Draw to diffuse, shoot to stop.
    Aren't we the sheepdogs?
    If we dont watch after the sheep, we have to deal with the shepherd.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    In this case my first response would be to confirm it was a rape. People get into some freaky stuff out in public and you want to make sure first. Secondly, if the guy is doing that, I have to assume that he has a weapon of some kind and I'd have my gun out if I was carrying one, which I honestly never do so I'd be out of luck.

I know women who have been raped and when I hold my baby girl it scares me to think of what I'd do if some piece of trash ever hurt her like that.

Keep in mind that killing someone can only happen once. Brutal, crippling beating can happen again and again.

cklein6576

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    South Bend, Worst. Mayor. Ever.
    The level of rape that goes on is far higher than we may suspect. I can think of 3 right now that I know without thinking about it very hard.

(How it came up in conversation I do not know)

I would like to think I would stop and ask for the *insert bad words here* to stop, but I think the desire to shoot him the crotch may be too much.

cklein6576

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    South Bend, Worst. Mayor. Ever.
    As bad as getting raped would be, I imagine getting shot by someone trying to help while it was happening would be worse.

From what I understand from the ladies, they would prefer the shooting.

Your body can heal from those wounds. The mind is way harder to fix.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    Yes i would stop it with any means i have ,,,,,but if i Have to be Diplomatic about it ,then this is the way i believe i should act-----Walk up on him ,spit on the end of my weapon (trying real hard to be diplomatic) and shove it up his @#% ,and ask real nicely ,would you please stop. *ya right * lol

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    At this posting, 215 responders have drawn with a command to stop.
    He does, gets his trousers up and starts walking away.

Now what?

No intent to stray away from the original question, I voted the first day and continued to follow the results.

Last edited:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009

Now what?

Shoot him in the knee cap?

In all seriousness, I would have my phone out (still on line with the police) and tell him to stay where he was. If he didn't....I'd shoot him in the knee.

Might not be the "right" answer, but it's the one I've got!

RM

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN

Now what?

No intent to stray away from the original question, I voted the first day and continued to follow the results.
    If possible,get between him and the exit. That way he can't get passed you without posing a threat! No way I let the guy walk away. Even if it means i go to jail!

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm there to stop the rape, not to put the guy in jail. If I can get him to wait on the cops with me and the victim, that's a big plus (GET THE F DOWN MOTHER F'ER). If I can't my main concern was the woman in the first place. See if there is anything I can do for her until police show up.

This is of course if I would have even given him a verbal warning in the first place. (unlikely)

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    He would have assaulted me by slamming his face into my fist ........37 times (est. of course) That would be my story & Im sticking to it.

Sthunter987

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    Personally I would have to help the lady. Cont. Force states not to use exessive force if not needed, but it's hard to make that call in the heat of battle. I would use my gun if needed, but I would chose a different option if possible.

Legally I have the right to use my weapon if " in fear for myself or others well being".
    The trick is to determine " others well being". Very hard call, but basically I could not walk away from someone in trouble, I just won't be able to look at myself in the mirror.

Top Bottom