• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    "Crown Point Police Chief Pete Land said he has no problem with how the situation was handled."

I feel sorry for the citizens of Crown Point. Sounds like someone is getting a kickback from the towing company. Also, no I would not have paid and I would not have allowed them to take my car.

Sounds like Pete is on the tab with the towing company. Small town kick back politics. Gotta love it.
    Oh wait, I guess none of that happens here either.....:dunno:

Driver would have been running back to his rig...............:bat:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The question becomes: For how long does the temporal proximity of the benefit of clearing the blockage apply to motorists who follow the clearing? I would argue instantly!!! There is precedent for this in thousands of instances. Say a semitruck looses control in an icy situation on the highway. The police are dispatched and cannot move it. Traffic backs up for miles. A private company with heavy equipment arrives to move the damaged semi out of the way of motorists. Do we allow that tow company to charge everyone backed up on the highway for miles just because they have collaterally benefited from the removed impediment? I do not believe this is done. This is not unusual and happens thousands of times year round.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This isn't a grey area, anyone arguing that the tow company is right in this regard (if the story is correct) is wrong.
    Sorry, don't argue with me, you are wrong.
    Just another reason that the country is ****ed up is "logic" like this being forced on people daily.

Tow company below............

[video=youtube;tXpx21Uf7hs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpx21Uf7hs[/video]

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Was this during the county wide "State of Emergency"? That stretch of roadway is a bad scene for blizzard conditions, and all over it was ugly. The OP got jammed into a scenario that isn't avoidable, and the tow guy isn't benevolent in a bad situation. He is looking at $, intimidating, and basically carjacking the vehicles/drivers. Hope is boss reads these forums. Rants on Craiglists might also help.
    Cops or no cops, Midnight Blue is their tow guy. They (PD) call, these tow guys roll.
    My wife and I decided to hunker down, stay off the roads, get ready to dig out the next day. We were lucky, the OP seems not lucky. Sucks.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    No tow truck driver is scamming me for money if he did not provide service. Blocking the roadway in front of me is criminal confinement and will be dealt with accordingly.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    were the police not there after they called the towing company? I would have told the guy you can try and tow me but I will protect my property, you better call the police to back you up on this one.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have never met an honest towing service or tow truck driver. Period.

+1

I've only met ONE guy who was upstanding (and was an INGO member), then again, I could be wrong. Didn't Bigcraig use to run a tow truck or own a company? If so, he's good to go.

Every other one of those huckle****s can rot. One tried scamming my stepmom a few years ago with a fake "jump" and "plow" when she ran her car off the road during a winter storm. He pulled her out ($25 for the pull), but the bill had a $100 plow and $50 jump fee attached. There was no plowing done and the car was still running when they pulled her out, so a jump wasn't needed. She called and they tried to pull the "well, we'll just put a mechanic's lien on your car until you pay" (which is complete horsecrap). She put me on the phone and I, in indirect terms, said it would be a real shame if they tried to pull an illegal act and fairly hard to tow anything when their entire fleet was Molotov'ed, they finally dropped their act. I can't remember the service though... :( Thus my anger towards tow drivers: They tried to scam one of my family and I am not a rational person when it comes to theft.

Realistically, they have to tow people who don't pay on cars (bank loan defaults) and other horrible situations, I would bet they are used to strong arming people, so if they find an easy mark, they push hard.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Just like any other business out there you have good ones and bad ones, this driver is a thief. The police should have been called, the tow truck impounded, and the company removed from rotation.

And I know a bunch of honest tow truck drivers. Met a 1 or 2 the few times I broke down and needed towed on long trips and have no complaints on the service or the price charged. There are also a few I know that I wouldn't trust to change a tire.

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    I have never met an honest towing service or tow truck driver. Period.
    Same here, but if you're not from around NWI, you probably wouldn't know, that midnight blue is probably the worst of the worst, so this is pretty much par for the course for those theives

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    If they did not touch your car, and you had no contractual agreement, then its an absurd charge. I did not need to do any legal research to reach that conclusion.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Two out of the eleven complained, 9 were happy. That tells me something right there. How high we're the drifts and how long? There's a lot we don't know. I can tell you around here we had 4 foot drifts for probably a quarter mile in some spots and yes we had idiots try to go threw it.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Well. Vehicle has alot to do with it. We were in the cummins and had a line of cars try to follow us on an east west road. They all got stuck. Our fault right?

Top Bottom