• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Actually a good point....whats the difference between a ditch, snow drifts, or stuck cars? They are all objects that prevent movement. From the tow company POV, perhaps they got a call that said we have x number of cars stuck, the tow company said
    (x) x $80 is worth my time to head out in this crap.

The unfair part is that they had no other options. I have AAA and pay $80 per year so I don't have to pay out of pocket for this. So I can see both sides.

Simply with cars you cant solve the problem yourself without assulting someone else. With a snow drift you could shovel it away get a friend with a plow to help or just drive thru it. The ditch could be solved if you owned a winch or had a friend with a winch or tractor. If you moved a car that person would most like consider you stealing it or try and stop you from pushing them out of the way and possibly into a ditch. What would you do is someone started pushing your car off the road?

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    Plain and simple the police called them to help and they are a vendor which they are backing up. ANY other tow company having done the same thing would have charges pending.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So if I'm driving a tow truck and I pull in and block you in a parking space are you stuck or blocked in?
    You are missing another player.

If I am in a parking space, and another vehicle has blocked me in, and you are in a tow truck.....

But that's not what happened.

I don't believe the tow driver should have blocked the street, if that is what you are getting at. If someone refused to pay, then get their info and file in small claims court. Or call the cops and have them arrested. Threatening to take someone's vehicle was pretty low.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Simply with cars you cant solve the problem yourself without assulting someone else. With a snow drift you could shovel it away get a friend with a plow to help or just drive thru it. The ditch could be solved if you owned a winch or had a friend with a winch or tractor.

All your solutions involved the help of another. The Tow truck company was the friend that showed up in this case.

If you moved a car that person would most like consider you stealing it or try and stop you from pushing them out of the way and possibly into a ditch. What would you do is someone started pushing your car off the road?

And......now you've lost me.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The method of blocking the intersection and demanding payment is what really gets me hot about this whole thing. "How are you paying?" I'm not, get out of the way or I will contact the police. Then what? What are they going to do? Tow my car? With me in it? I don't like to revert to violence automatically, but that sounds like kidnapping and justifiable use of deadly force. Going to pull me from my car to tow it? Use of force, including deadly force, to terminate unlawful intrusion into my occupied motor vehicle. What they did was extortion and worse, theft, an illegal toll exchange in my mind. They touch my property (towing my car), I will contact the police and have them arrested. They wish to extort money from me and try to remove me from my car, they can find another giggle-hick to replace the one I just filled full of holes.

Any tow truck drivers here? If someone will not leave their car, what is your recourse? What options do you have?

It sounds like this Honeycutt fella wanted to forego any confrontation, sometimes it's confronting the criminals, in any guise they may wear, that prevents them from preying on you.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    You're blocking my way on a public roadway. You didn't ask for my help. What would you do if I locked it in low range and just started pushing you the **** out of the way. Not to get you unstuck, just out of my way.

If your scenario were to happen, I'd get your plate number, and when I got unstuck I'd file a police report for a hit and run, followed by a small claims court lawsuit for any and all damages.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't know what I would do. It would largely depend on whether I had the boys with me or not. If so, I'd likely pay just to prevent any escalation with them around. But I would demand a receipt that noted that the tow company neither freed my vehicle or responded due to my call. IOW, I did not contract services with them.

And that last sentence seems to be a point some are forgetting. Who contracted for the services? Local LE called for the plow service, so it should come out of city budget, which is how "everyone who benefits" pays "their fair share." If the truck freed vehicles from the snow, then the owners of those vehicles can be billed individually. In this case, it's not much different than "No Parking Vehicle will be towed at Owner's expense" signage. And in any other municipality, if the city/town has to have the vehicle removed, the owner will be billed for it.

Refusal to let a vehicle pass and demanding payment for that passage is criminal.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Paid? No. **ASSUMING THE DETAILS ARE CORRECT** I'd have probably just locked the tow truck driver up for obstruction of traffic.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I would have called the police to report the lunatic that was impeding traffic and my legal right to move forward. "sure officer I will sign a complaint" would follow the officers arrival to the scene.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Legally? Haven't looked into it, but I'm sure we'll be hearing more about this.

But- what if the towing company had not come out, plowed and removed the other cars? Would these guys have been able to get home? Doesn't seem like it. Did they benefit from what the company did? Seems like it. What steps did these guys take over the "several hours" to solve the issue themselves? Seems like none. Having benefited from what the company did and having not managed to solve the problem themselves....

Just something to think about.

Next time I do a home improvement, I'm going to divide the bill up amongst all the neighbors. They're benefiting via their own increased property values. I like where you're going with this.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Next time I do a home improvement, I'm going to divide the bill up amongst all the neighbors. They're benefiting via their own increased property values. I like where you're going with this.

GENIUS! I've put roughly $60,000 into my home the last four years. My neighbors are benefiting from it. I wonder, should I pro rate the further they are away, or divide it evenly? Houghmade, what should I do?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I wonder if we are not looking at this the wrong way.

Let us presume for a moment that while there was a snow drift that would stop many none were stopped. As the city could not keep up with the snowfall they called a private company to deal with this additional impediment.

As the company cleared the drift it would be the city getting the bill because now citizens would be able to pass the location unimpeded. In other words, those assisted would have been the anonymous public, who would have been impossible to individually charge.

Now we complicate things: several vehicles are in fact stuck and the private company is called to get them unstuck. As they are blocking, willfully or not, a public thoroughfare and have been unable to free themselves I can see a reasonable argument being made that they need to pay for the service they received. Had they NOT been blocking a public thoroughfare then they could argue against a charge they did not (potentially) want.

To complicate it further we now have other citizens who are no longer anonymous that collaterally benefit from the the first groups being freed. Just because they are not anonymous should not mean they are subject to being charged, just as drivers who happened to be able to pass by hours later unimpeded were not charged.

The question becomes: For how long does the temporal proximity of the benefit of clearing the blockage apply to motorists who follow the clearing? I would argue instantly!!! There is precedent for this in thousands of instances. Say a semitruck looses control in an icy situation on the highway. The police are dispatched and cannot move it. Traffic backs up for miles. A private company with heavy equipment arrives to move the damaged semi out of the way of motorists. Do we allow that tow company to charge everyone backed up on the highway for miles just because they have collaterally benefited from the removed impediment? I do not believe this is done. This is not unusual and happens thousands of times year round.

As to dealing with this event I believe I would refuse to pay. In echoing others I would not leave my vehicle. If LE were to become involved and somehow compelled me to leave my vehicle to "discuss" the issue I would turn my front wheels all the way right or left. This then impedes the tow truck from towing my vehicle without severely damaging it, for which I can then sue them. But that is just me.

Regards,

Doug

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom