• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you CC where signs are posted if you feel in some degree of a danger.

• Total voters

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    kjf40, I'm going to say this again.

:welcome: to :ingo:

Now it's time you got properly informed.

You run right out to your front yard and put that sign out there.

Having a "No Trespassing" sign is different than a no guns sign, because your intent of no trespassing has been stated.

Having a "No Guns Sign" is just that, a sign telling you no guns.
    It's only when a person that properly has a direct connection to the establishment or property tells you to leave is when this becomes trespassing.

Understand?

We are not talking about trespassing....we are talking about no guns.

i was merely making an example.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I guess I should have thrown that in! I'm not talking about the court house, I'm talking about bobs CPZ hopscotch competition.

I probably wouldn't be able to compete all that well in a hopscotch competition with a firearm CC or OC. I'll simply have my staff handle the security. As reigning champion, people let you make the rules.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Since when do signs mean nothing to law?

If i put a no trespassing sign in my yard, does that mean someone can do it anyway with no regard?

SIGNS ARE LAW WHEN THEY ARE BACKED BY A LAW!!!!!!! Is there a law saying you cannot carry into Wendy's. No, no there's not. Is there a law saying you cannot carry on school grounds yes there is and there is probably a sign reminding you. So if wendy's has a sign saying "no firearms" and you carry there anyway you can only be asked to leave. If you don't leave you can be arrested for criminal trespassing.

As far as your trespassing signs question. If your even asking that question then you've never tried to prosecute someone for it because its nearly impossible and a waist of time and money.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Essentially, a "No Guns" sign has exactly the same meaning as "No shirt, no shoes - no service". It does not prevent you from entering without your shoes, and you are not subject to arrest simply for entering. Someone affiliated with the property must still deny you service and ask (require) you to comply or leave. If you refuse, then you are now trespassing. Not before.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Im certainly no sign expert...but i would assume that a sign that saying no guns means no guns.....not...we would rather you didnt carry in here but its your choice.....hehe :)

It's like a sign that says NO SHIRT, NO SHOES, NO SERVICE.

If you go in without shoes and they notice, you'll probably be asked to leave, but there is no law to charge you with violating for merely disobeying the sign.

The sign has no criminal charge behind it.

(dang... I was too slow.) ;)

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Signs are LAW when they are BACKED by a law. Is there a law saying you cannot carry into Wendy's. No, no there's not. Is there a law saying you cannot carry on school grounds yes there is and there is probably a sign reminding you. So if wendy's has a sign saying "no firearms" and you carry there anyway you can only be asked to leave. If you don't leave you can be arrested for criminal trespassing.

As far as your trespassing signs question. If your even asking that question then you've never tried to prosecute someone for it because its nearly impossible and a waist of time and money.

Ok....so ultimately wendys puts a sign up that says no gun.....you take one in and get kicked out....that means....the sign says no guns, so dont take it in, or just dont get caught :D

And no im glad to say...ive never had a trespasser.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Aren't the no guns signs just a suggestion like the no smoking near the entrance signs? They'd rather you not but no one is going to do anything about it if you do.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Ok....so ultimately wendys puts a sign up that says no gun.....you take one in and get kicked out....that means....the sign says no guns, so dont take it in, or just dont get caught :D

And no im glad to say...ive never had a trespasser.

I take one in concealed and don't get kicked out everyday of the week. WHY because its CONCEALED! You are right about "just don't get caught," but its not my concern since the only thing they can ask me to do is pick up my fries and burger and eat it in my car.

And what you mean to say is that you've never SEEN someone trespassing on your property. Doesn't mean someone hasn't. And just like NO GUN signs all you can do is ask them to leave.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    And what you mean to say is that you've never SEEN someone trespassing on your property. Doesn't mean someone hasn't. And just like NO GUN signs all you can do is ask them to leave.

Yes you are correct...ive never seen anyone do it....lol
    They would be lookin into a barrel if i did :ar15:

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Aren't the no guns signs just a suggestion like the no smoking near the entrance signs? They'd rather you not but no one is going to do anything about it if you do.

Be careful about the "no smoking within x number of feet" signs. Depending on the city or county, there may be a city or county ordinance to back it up. Which is essentially the same as the "no firearms" signs. If there is a state or federal law which prohibits firearms in a building, then the sign actually carries the weight of law. Otherwise, it is just a policy of the business.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Just so you all know...this is all just opinions, we have different ones from time to time...but ultimately we are all gun lovers and love to shoot and carry.

Im just a bit more careful about where i go with it then some...so group hug :D

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    I probably wouldn't be able to compete all that well in a hopscotch competition with a firearm CC or OC. I'll simply have my staff handle the security. As reigning champion, people let you make the rules.

Thank you for this :cheers: :D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just so you all know...this is all just opinions, we have different ones from time to time...but ultimately we are all gun lovers and love to shoot and carry.

Im just a bit more careful about where i go with it then some...so group hug :D

Go group hug Chuck Norris. Might have more luck than with me. I only group hug groups of scantily clad female types.

Brando

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The Fort Wayne Chuck E. Cheese has a sign. "No Firearms. Violators will be treated as Trespassers." or something like that. It was kind of funny.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    There are some strip mall shops in Marion county that have "No firearms allowed" or "firearms prohibited" signs on the entrance door at eye level. I rarely need to go into any of those businesses anyway, but if I do I CC. This way I still have the means to protect myself should the occasion arise, and none of the staff or S/O are given a reason to ask me to leave.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Just as I expect someone to respect my rules when in my house, I will do the same when within theirs. Just the way I was raised I guess.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hard to add to what was aleady said above. I strive to abide by all state and federal laws. I'll tend not to go where I'm not welcomed, but I carry my firearm whenever possible.:D

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Im certainly no sign expert...but i would assume that a sign that saying no guns means no guns.....not...we would rather you didnt carry in here but its your choice.....hehe :)

"No Trespassing", "No Admittance" - those constitute "denial of entry" and you're subject to a trespassing charge simply for violating them.

"No Guns", "No Pink Shoes" - those constitute, for lack of a better term, "conditional admittance", and you're NOT subject to a trespassing charge until you've been asked to leave the premises AND you refuse.

We have had this discussion many times on this forum, and some of the best known trial attorneys in the state agree with us that "no guns" is not "denial of entry".

I carry wherever it's not illegal, because I can.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom