• ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Happens more than you know.
    You got that right. Apparently the Clark Co. prosecutors office has nothing better to do than field calls from crazy ex spouses. Been there, done that. No guns where stolen by them, and I did get an apology from a magistrate who was shocked that these useless thugs behaved the way they did.

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I think the idea is not to bury one's main gun(s), but to have a cache of supplies (not just guns and ammo) hidden in various locations in case one is separated from one's main supplies. Not on one's property, but various bug out locations and on public property where someone else isn't likely to find it. In theory, not necessarily a bad idea unless someone else does find it, commits a crime and the weapon is traced back to you. However, I find this to be an expensive proposition and I have better uses on which to spend my limited money. I know some that would say just pick one up from the dead that might have one if one is needed. Of course I own no firearms. So don't bother coming around.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I think if It were time to to bury them, the time to use them had come and gone and we lost the fight.

I dont think someone who decided to bury a gun in case they needed one would bury every gun they had. Im sure they would keep some around for defense.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm sure not going to bury everything, just have something buried as a backup. The PVC guy has the same idea I do. I didn't watch far into it to see if he used PTFE tape to seal the lid, or oxygen and moisture absorbers (do not eat) for a little backup. You can use secondary containment, ZCORR, whatnot, and attach strings to the contents to allow easy retrieval. He definitely overpaid for what he had, though.

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Watching the news this evening I thought of a reason to have backup weapons out of the house. Fire. Unless one has a really good gun/fire safe, it can destroy everything quickly. Fire safes only last to a certain temperature, for a given period of time. I've seen some wicked fires this year.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Absolutely not. Preservation issues aside, it's way too easy to metal-detect most weaponry even buried at a decent depth. Never gotten an answer from anyone about long-term viability of underground storage, either. (15-20+ years)

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Never gotten an answer from anyone about long-term viability of underground storage, either. (15-20+ years)

Thats a good question Id say if it were put in a pvc pipe and caked in cosmoline 50+ years but I have no evidence to support this.

donballz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    If I had any guns I might consider hiding a few in different places, along with sufficient ammo, just in case the government decided to declare martial law and confiscate all guns (remember Katrina?). Unfortunately, I lost all of my guns in a recent boating accident. :dunno:
    This post makes me sad.

Edit: woohoo post 25, halfway to buying guns!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Absolutely not. Preservation issues aside, it's way too easy to metal-detect most weaponry even buried at a decent depth. Never gotten an answer from anyone about long-term viability of underground storage, either. (15-20+ years)

That's why I'd go vertical, and have some nails and stuff in the soil around it; may or may not work, but I figure they'll probably give up with just a metal detector. I mean *beep* dig up a nail *beep* dig up a brick wall tie *beep* another nail *beep* oh, this one's a roofing nail, how long are they going to keep that up? If they have some kind of ultrasonic or radar imaging, nothing will help aside from putting it someplace they wouldn't look. Sealed up in PVC should be better than most places for long term viability; just make sure you include basic maintenance and cleaning supplies.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I'd maybe bury a mosign and a spam can of ammo. put in one of those water and ir tight tubes

fireman28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    When I was in High School, my buddies and I would bury cans of pop in snow banks in parking lots. We would pick up girls and ask if they wanted a pop, then I would slide sideways into the bank, buddy would open door and grab some mountain dews and pepsi's and then on our way. Girls would always get a kick out of that.
    Bury a gun, no way. I hope I never need one that bad. My luck I would forget where I buried them, or a kid would dig it up and get hurt or hurt someone else. Should probably bury with a safety lock, but don't forget the key.

Top Bottom