• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I always hear people saying they would burry a gun for a shtf event. Just wondering what peoples opinions are on this topic. Would you or wouldnt you?

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I think I would be able to make better use of it if it was on my person. OC of course so I could garner attention from the zombies Matt.

Last edited:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I might bury one, but only after saying a few heartfelt words and packing it in grease. Plus I might use the following as a tombstone to remember where I buried it.
    images

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I think I would be able to make better use of it if it was on my person.

Yea part of me thinks that way and then another says if your seperated from you main gun you could perhaps make it to one you had hiden away.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Man for the life of me i couldnt remember how to spell bury so I put burry lol. Well thats how they say it down south anyway.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    If I am seperated from my EDC I am either dead or doing it wrong.

You never know what could happen that would seperate you from your gun but if it didnt kill you it would be nice to have a plan b.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    You never know what could happen that would seperate you from your gun but if it didnt kill you it would be nice to have a plan b.

Well the most common reason I can think of that would seperate me from my EDC is that it is taken from me by someone who intends to do bad things with it.

In that case there is a high probability that it will be used against me and I wont be around to need access to somethin buried in the ground other than a pine box.

If it is stolen from my person and that person runs away, I don't really need it at that point, I need a police report and training.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I think I would be able to make better use of it if it was on my person. OC of course so I could garner attention from the zombies Matt.

Doesnt just being a live person garner attention of zombies?:):

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    For all the bug-outers, you might cache all sorts of goodies at your retreat. Burying might be the safest way to hide stuff, including a spare shootin' ahrn or three.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    If thats what floats your boat...float away!! I aint got any problems its your right

It's not what floats my boat, please see:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/221962-oc_mindset-39.html

Glad you have changed your tune.

Back on topic, I see no reason to bury a firearm in the ground. In my opinion they should remain in your control and not for random people with metal detectors to find and get linked back to you.

If you need a secure place to keep a firearm that you do not carry on your person, an investment in a well made gun safe is a much better option. It will protect against fire, flood, theft and due to weight tornados for the most part. Much better option that sticking the gun in an corrosive environment.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    No way I would bury a gun. SHTF or no, I would sooner keep all my defensive equipment close by and available.

First priority would be to try to establish some local sense of order - neighbors banding together, etc.

Supply check, perimiter securement, etc.

No man is an island. Especially if he brings a shovel to a gun fight....

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    No way I would bury a gun. SHTF or no, I would sooner keep all my defensive equipment close by and available.

First priority would be to try to establish some local sense of order - neighbors banding together, etc.

Supply check, perimiter securement, etc.

No man is an island. Especially if he brings a shovel to a gun fight....

Well I think mostly the people that take the bury a gun option arent interested in neighbors banding together they take the loner roll and have their guns buried out in the country and when something goes down they think that they can get to them if need be.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Havent changed my tune but Ive always said it was your right to do so. I just expressed my opinion.

As far as a safe goes Ive got one. Im not sure personal Id bury a gone but Ive heard the concept bounced around and just wondered what everyone else was thinking.

I am sorry to hear that, I did my best to express mine in what I hoped would be a convincing argument but you of course make your own decisions.

That said, I would personally not bury a gun. You would need to put the thing in block of grease to ensure it's function should you need it on short notice. I say this as a glock owner, everything deteriorates. Assuming you did or did not, you would still need a shovel, time and privacy to gain access to it.

I would think you would need less of each in the case of a safe.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Nope.

I keep a few guns in places other than my home but I would not bury my guns. If SHTF happens I want my gun not my shovel. If you are afraid the government will take them away then I agree with the old saying "if you think it's time to bury your guns then it's time to dig them up and use them".

Top Bottom