Would you bet your life on a Kel-Tec PF9?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you bet your life on a Kel-Tec PF9?

• Total voters

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I used to have a PF9 that was 100% reliable, but I know that's just one guy with one gun. I ended up selling it just because, and I'm thinking of getting one of their new ones that come in colors that'd match clothing a little better. Yes, I'd rather buy a S&W shield, but they are no where to be found and at panic prices, so I figure I'll just have to buy one of those after everything blows over here in a couple months.

Would you be willing to bet your life on a Kel-Tec PF-9 as your primary carry gun? (The assmuption being that you will put at least 200-300 rounds through the gun to ensure it functions properly before carrying it.)

If you really don't have any experience with a PF-9 and would base your vote on just hearsay please don't vote.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    KelTec has proven themselves time and time again to have decent performing firearms at good prices, with phenomenal customer service.

If you've already put a couple hundred failure-free rounds through it, I don't see why you wouldn't trust it. And if you have issues, KelTec does at least stand behind their products.

As for Harleyrider, I'm going to go ahead and judge him by his name, and assume that he is an overweight accountant at a low-income firm who wishes he had a motorcycle to ride on the weekends, instead of a worn-out couch.

Sucks when people judge you based solely on your name, right? ;) No offense meant, just making a point.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I bought my PF-9 new in 2010. I have put 600+ rounds through it with zero problems. If I'm not at work, it's on my hip. In the next year I'll be upgrading to something bigger but will still carry the PF-9 when needed or as a bug.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    KelTec has proven themselves time and time again to have decent performing firearms at good prices, with phenomenal customer service.

If you've already put a couple hundred failure-free rounds through it, I don't see why you wouldn't trust it. And if you have issues, KelTec does at least stand behind their products.

As for Harleyrider, I'm going to go ahead and judge him by his name, and assume that he is an overweight accountant at a low-income firm who wishes he had a motorcycle to ride on the weekends, instead of a worn-out couch.

Sucks when people judge you based solely on your name, right? ;) No offense meant, just making a point.

:rolleyes:
    You've seen too many stereotypes dood......LOL......I'm 'bout 6'3"......212 on'a good day after 6 eggs,bacon,slab or 2 o' sausage with gravy/bicuits.....:):

'far as the bike......uhhh.....'04,CVO Scream'n Eagle Softail......puts down 'bout high 90's on TQ an' HP......I've lift'd the front wheel in 3rd gear.....not bad weigh'n 726 lbs in run'n order with my 212 lb azz on it.....Oh.....jus' ta give ya a perspective.....my jeans size is 34" waist....38" inseam .....jus' so ya know.....:cool:

AND......ain't a desk dude,nether......make my live'n with my hands an'a lot'a sweat.....anything else ya wanna know?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I had a PF9 and didn't like it. Wasn't entirely reliable and the trigger was horrible. That said, if you put through the test rounds and it is reliable and you are accurate with it, that is the main thing. There are plenty of other brands I would recommend over Kel-tec, but for the money they are pretty good.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I've had one for a couple years, shot quite a bit and have yet to experience a failure. I tried it for a while with the magazine extensions but crowding three fingers on the grip caused me to hit the mag release, so went back to letting the pinky dangle. Gun goes Bang every time though.

reedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    If you have trained with the Kel-tec and it has fired without any malfunctions-then I would trust it. Kel-tec has been reliable and trustworthy to me. I have found that their .380 does not like hot rounds-and seems to only cylce reliable with ball rounds. But, I trained with it and determined what ammo worked the best-and I now trust the name.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Just to be clear, even though I like the price point of the gun, what appeals to me most about it is the slim profile & overal size in 9mm. I think the S&W shield is comparable in size/weight, but since I can't get one of those, I have to settle for the ugly sister (PF9).

The one I had in the past was 100% reliable and I had a couple hundred rounds through it, so I would have trusted it with my life. Having said that, times change and manufacturing qualities can fluctuate unfortunately. In any case, I'll probably buy another at some point.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I carry one everywhere because of its size. I don't like shooting it to much tho it's a little snappy. As to the question in my everyday defence yes I'd trust it against muggers ect. It's a close range weapon. Of I'm expecting trouble or I'm in a shtf situation id prefer my 1911 or other full size handgun.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've seen a few brought to steel matches, but never seen one actually make it through more than 10rds without jamming. I've heard stories that they can be reliable, but I've also heard stories about bigfoot. I've seen more evidence of the latter than the former. :laugh:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I carry a Taurus, and have heard plenty of bad mouthing about Taurus. The thing is, I've put a few THOUSAND rounds through it, and it HAS NOT FAILED. I've fired it while it was dirty, in rain, in snow, in extreme heat, and it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger! If you have run the rounds through the weapon, whatever that weapon may be, and it has performed reliably, then yes, I would bet my life on it performing when needed.

Top Bottom