• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    I,m thinking about an O/U for my next gun. This gun will be used for sporting clays and maybe some field use. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I went to a sporting clays course last week for the first time and had a lot of fun but I didn't like picking up empties all day so I want a good gun. Not to worried about fit and finish just want something thats going to hold up and be reliable. Anybody had experience with a Stouger there pretty cheap but are they reliable. I found one with both 12ga and 20ga barrels for $425 which would be nice so I could shoot either 12 or 20. Just so you know I'm not thinking a o/u is going to help my scores at the clays I just want something besides my 1187 so i don't have to pick up shells out of the mud all day. I shot a 71 which I thought was pretty good for my first time on a sporting clays course. Any input would be great just keep in mind I don't want to spend over $600. This is going to be a starting gun to see if I like O/U's and I'm not going to spend $2000 on something I'm not sure about. So guns in cheaper price range is what I'm looking for advise on. Thanks

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You are walking a fine line here. There is not much to like about cheap O/U's, but "like" is relative to each person.

I have been less than impressed with a lot of Stoegers in recent years BUT go to Benelli's web site and go into the forums there. Most problems, if any, for each model are listed there along with any fixes. Just check out the model you are interested in to be sure.

To me, you are better off spending 700-800 on a quality, used O/U..

FYI but if the course you shot was fairly difficult, 50% for a first timer is considered good

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Shell Catcher

Get Yourself a shell catcher for Your 1187
    They fit into the ejection port on the Gun and will not let the empty eject all the way out they just sort of catch and hold the empty case and are fairly enexpensive
    WWW.TANDSSHELLCATCHER.COM

Last edited:

JohnR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Hancock county
    Shell catcher works fine on singles but wont work for doubles. I agree with the 700-800 on a good used gun. I bought a used Franchi Alcione and used it for several years kept it clean and got what i paid it when I sold it.

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I have a Remington Spartan 310, Its made by Bakali but imported by Remington, I like it alot. IT comes with a couple different chokes. Wood is decent and it shoot pretty well!

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I'd suggest trying one out prior to buying. I bought a Winchester Supreme a few years back and could never get used to it. I'm a pretty fair wing shot with a Rem. 870 or 1187, but the O/U didn't fit quite right, and I didn't want to begin altering it.

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    I always do a lot of checking before I buy any gun and for the money the Stoeger Condor Comp had a lot of features so that was were I was starting. I like the ported barrels and a adjustable stock it also has screw in chokes which I know I want so thats why I started with this gun. What about a Winchester Select. And remember I'm not going to be putting 10,000 rds a year threw this I just want something to shoot clays with from time to time.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Get Yourself a shell catcher for Your 1187
    They fit into the ejection port on the Gun and will not let the empty eject all the way out they just sort of catch and hold the empty case and are fairly enexpensive
    WWW.TANDSSHELLCATCHER.COM

Have you used those before?

Not sure if that's the one I've seen used but some of them leave marks on the receiver.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Unless you spend >$1,500 on an OU, the majority of the clay games comunity will snob you every time you post a picture, ask a technical question, or show up at the range.

Not to be a total turd about this, but OUs are not something you buy for economical reasons; just about every other kind of shotgun will be cheaper to buy, operate, maintain, and be more efficient in the field. Its not about practicallity.

You buy OU's to show everybody else how much money you have, or how sophisticated you are. Showing up at the clay field with a $400 OU is like showing up to bike week with a Yamaha, or smoking a PallMall with a group of cigar afficianados.

On the other hand, don't let that stop you from busting some clays. A cheap OU can certainly do that, and be a lot of fun in the process. My own grandfather used to sweep the local tourneys with a beat up Ithica 37... to the point where they started limiting the times he could compete.

In the end, price tags are no indicator of skill, or the fun you will have. Just remember, you wont be one of the "in crowd" unless you pony up the membership fee. :/

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have shot sporting clays with several different guns. I own a Stoger uplander supreme s/s, and have recieved those dirty looks by wealthier people at the range. But it's a great gun, reliable and durable. I got them snobs with their pants down and speechless over the next couple weeks when I showed up one week later with my English stock Browning S/S, and put the smack down on the trap range. Then headed over to the sporting clays range with My Browning Citori, the respect level was improved even though I didn't fair quite as well there. Fact is it really doesn't matter what brand of gun you buy so long as it is dependable and fits pretty well. I will advise get one with interchangeable choke tubes. It will make it a good choice whether you are shooting trap, skeet, flushing a covey of quial over a pointer, or shooting pheasants busting from the edge of a field. Oh, and truthfully I hunt most with my Stoger, I am less concerned about scratches on it than any of my Brwonings.

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    I agree with what your saying. But I,m not the kinda guy that cares what anybody thinks about what kind of gun i'm using and I wouldn't be afraid to tell them what I think about there comments. I'm not one of those guys that spend a lot of money on something just to say see what I got. I guess I'm a little redneck in that area. I'm not to worried about what the gun looks like or I should say what anybody else thinks it looks like as long as it operates the way it suppose to and is not going to fall apart. If the cheaper guns don't operate correctly that's what I'm really tring to find out. I don't want to throw my money away on a gun that's not reliable but in the same way I don't just want to be paying for a name. I've been reading a lot of reviews and in most cases the guys that are saying don't buy a cheaper gun have never used one and are just going of what some othier guy that has no experience with the gun told him. I don't care about the fancy wood or engraving as long as the gun works.

JohnR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Hancock county
    The first time I shot sporting clays you had to have a trapper walk with you to throw the targets, they would try to get four or five guys in a group. Me and my buddy got teamed up with a couple guys that had more money in their shotguns than I did in my pick up truck. They had golf carts, the Beretta shooting vests and gloves. I was pretty intimidated because I was carrying my shells in a 5-gallon bucket around the course. They never once looked down their noses at me. In fact most of the guys I have ran into shooting Sporting Clays (and Trap for that matter) have always been friendly and helpful. I started shooting an 1100 and about wore it out. Have had several over/unders and now shoot a Beretta 391.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have shot the cheaper O/U and yes they do shoot and can be reliable. For the money however, a person might be better off to purchase a quality semi-auto. O/Us are not different then any other gun, you get what you pay for. I hate to say that and certainly do not want to appear to be a gun snob. The other criteria for an O/U is fit. Just because you drop >$1500 on a browning or Berretta does not mean you will shoot it well.

JohnR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Hancock county
    One suggestion I would have, no matter what type of gun you buy, find someone who can fit the gun to you. I'm 6'3", long armed and long necked and have to lengthen all my stocks and raise my combs. In doing so, will be reflected in your scores It makes a huge difference.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I started out with a Remington 1100. I found a guy at a trap range who installed a threaded pin in the barrel. When the hull was ejected it would hit the pin and drop it at (close to ) your feet not out into the brush and weeds. My over/under I got much later was a Browning Citori Lightning. I love it!! The main thing to look for no matter what the brand or how much money you spend is how it shoulders. If it doesn't fit you right you won't hit very much and loose interest it the sport. We need all the shooters we can get.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Stoeger Comp. warranty repair - Benelli USA Forums

You also need to realize an O/U you have never shot will not likely fit you nor shoot like an 1100 when you shoulder it. You won't get silly looks for using the Stoeger, just for your cursing when you miss and hate the gun.

I know you want an O/U so staying with that, look for a used Beretta White Wing. It is light weight and will kick you but if you use it for sport and hunting it is a good compromise and fits your budget if you shop for it.

$600 screams used Beretta like a 303 but you want an O/U..........

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    +1 for the Remington Spartan 310

I picked a 12 ga "310" last May from budsgunshop.com. I believe it was $335 shipped. I've shot 20+ rounds of skeet and took it dove hunting last fall, and had no problems whatsoever from it. Probably around 600 rounds total if I had to guess. A Browning it is not, but I thought the fit and finish was better than the Stoeger Condors and Mossberg Silver Reserves. In my opinion, the cheap roll marks and "engraving" on some of the other lower end O/U's make it look cheaper than the plane-jane look of the Spartan. That's just my opinion though. My only gripes about the Spartan 310 are the funky barrel selector (you push the trigger forward instead of sliding the safety selector sideways) and the automatic safety engagement. The auto safety becomes a non-issue after a few rounds of skeet, and can be remedied if you so choose (Shotgunworld.com • View topic - 310S - is that auto safety a pain for skeet?). I left mine intact and have never had a problem with it.

It's just my opinion, but I'd recommend one over the Mossberg or Stoeger even if they were the same price. I think the going rate now is around $400, vs. $450-$500 for the Mossberg.

Top Bottom