Would a Saiga 12 be an appropriate "first" shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Original Post

Back to the original topic of this thread, while I would agree that the Saiga is a better combat shotgun than the 870, for purposes of a "first shotgun" I think that the 870 is a better choice for the beginning shotgunner. It is easier to work on. There is far more support available as far as getting parts or service if you need it. There are loads more of aftermarket add ons for the 870. I think a lot of it depends on experience and skill level, but for purposes of a "first shotgun" I would have to say to go with a used Remington 870 and not a Saiga or a clone. You can always sell your 870 to fund a Saiga purchase later.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    I was skeptical when I saw it last weekend, but I found literally ONE unfavorable review online — at least from people with first-hand experience. Machined and hardened extractor instead of MIM, better steel for the receiver, parked instead of just blued, and ghost-ring sights included — all for $190.

I don't lightly dismiss the politics of Made in the USA (or at least anyplace but China), but aside from that, what's the catch?

I'll give you another unfavorable one. I saw one of these cheap Chinese knockoffs at Indy last year and gobbled it up for the cheap price. I really wanted an 870 but this was cheap and looked just like an 870. I HATED IT. It would fire okay with expensive ammo, but when I used the cheap Wal Mart birdshot stuff it jammed up every other round. It wouldn't eject the spend shell and I had to do surgury to get it out. It was embarrassing at the range and you would get killed if you needed it in a fight. Do not get it! I got rid of mine and put down the money for a real 870. Heck, you can get them for $280 and up depending on what kind. I paid 350 for a short barrelled tactical. It eats anything and I love it. Now I want a Saiga too, so I'd say get the real 870 or the Saiga, but NOT THE CHICOM junk. Now if you want an SKS, I've heard that the chicom stuff is pretty good.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Well, the low price tag ($190 with Davidson's lifetime repair/replace warranty) hooked me, so I'll hope to be one of the lucky ones. I'll keep everyone posted — and I won't be bashful to hear multiple "I told you so"s if I have problems....

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    For what its worth I know just a tad bit about some of these shotguns and The Remington 870 is definitely the standard in my opinion.
    The Remington 870 is as versatile as an Ar15 in many ways a good 870 and a couple of three barrels and you can do everything from feed to protect your family.
    I the numbers produced over the years speak clearly to its popularity. In 50 years over 9 million have been produced. Hard to argue with that.

50bmgshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Greenfield
    i have a saiga and love it. put a tapco adjustable stock w/pistol grip on it. its amazing. but i have been thinkin about a standard pump for HD. 2 reasons for this...#1- because i have some very nice bean bag and rubber ball rounds to use for HD. #2- if anyone did decide to make the mistake of coming in my house...while i would enjoy putting 10 rounds(saiga) of 00 buck into said person.....i really dont think i would want to have to clean up the mess. cause im sure once the police were donewith getting the body out and collecting evidence....i would be replacing carpet, drywall, furniture, appliances, or whatever else got hit or has BG guts on it. and im sure that would make for an expensive remodel. i think it would be better to hurt them beyond the human capacity for pain than to pay to clean up the mess

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I dont understand how you go from talking about a Saiga (500$ shotty) to going to talk about some cheap Chinese shotgun.. There is no comparison. This thread should be called "Should I buy junk" Sorry for the severity of my comments, Save your money buy an 870. Stay away from a Saiga till your ready to make such a "big purchase"

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    Just shot the 12 ga HR Pardner Pump, I picked up for 165 NIB, this weekend and it hits clay birds. For the money it is an excellent shotgun. I would avoid the Chinese stuff, but it is your money.

FYI--I want a Saiga as well, but I got a bunch of Ammo, the pump 12 and a wheel gun for less money.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I dont understand how you go from talking about a Saiga (500$ shotty) to going to talk about some cheap Chinese shotgun.. There is no comparison. This thread should be called "Should I buy junk" Sorry for the severity of my comments, Save your money buy an 870. Stay away from a Saiga till your ready to make such a "big purchase"

Well, here's how I saw it:

1. The cheap Chinese pump will be a simple, low-buck introduction to the world of shotguns. If, in my rookieness, I beat this one to death, I'll mutter a swear words or two, then go on with my life -- its just a cheap shotty.

2. If I get one of the bad ones, I can use the Davidson's guarantee to swap it out for another one. If I can't even exchange my way to a good one, then I'll man up and take my lumps of deserved "I-told-you-so" and "buy-once-cry-once."

3. If I get hooked, I can start saving my pennies for a Saiga, a Wingmaster, a Benelli, whatever -- and still have a cheap beater that I can keep in the trunk or bash through the woods with and not worry about it.

In my defense, the same shop had a Rem 887 that I would've bought if it had a shorter barrel -- and if I'd been in the market seriously a few months ago when one of the Hoosier gunshops got a batch of police trade-in Wingmasters, I'd have jumped on one.

But at this price, with ghost-ring sights for a sight picture similar to my AR while I get familiar with shotgun shooting, this struck me as a decent gamble before getting into the more expensive ones (again, the Saigas, Wingmasters, Benellis, etc.).

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Find a nice used Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.

Even if you find a sythetic one that is beat up a little it should be about the same price range. This way if you like it, you can do what you want and if you beat on it and don't like it no big deal and it'll still have good resale.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wabash, it would stand to reason that a "deal" would likely be found on an 870.

Pawn shops, gun shows, friends are all good sources of 870s. Plus since Remington has been making 870s since even before your father was a law clerk (:D) the 870 is cheap, has plenty of parts and it is easy to find gun smiths who can work on them.

As well, you may keep an eye peeled for a Smith&Wesson 3000. From time to time you can find police trade ins on them for dirt cheap.

If you get a "deal", you can spend more on modifications and ammo.

Wabash, you know you can call me anytime to go shooting. I can show you what I run and the pros and cons of all the more popular modifications.

We'll get you all trained up on the shotgun.:)

Top Bottom