• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock 42, except it is a single stack. But hey it isnt 9mm so Glock is dumb. Walther PK380 was mentioned. Ruger LCR is a very easy small revolver to shoot. What about a 9 shot .22 revolver.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Aside from those with severe arthur-itis or those missing parts - not being able to rack the slide on a semi-automatic pistol isn't really a strength issue.

It's a TECHNIQUE issue.

For the majority of men, our strength easily overcomes less-than-ideal technique.

Instead of wanting to develop some other kind of firearm - why not really push the issue of learning good technique so that just about ANY firearm could be handled / shot?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That's a good point, IndyGuy. I wish Yaeger had addressed that in the video instead of just glossing over it.

Note - I didn't watch the video.

for those who may be wondering what I'm speaking of:

Not-so-good technique compensated for by having strong hands/fingers = pinching the slide with your off-hand thumb and forefinger and pulling it back

Much better technique to use for everyone (especially those who may have weakend grip strength or other issues) = put your hand on the top of the slide, palm down. wrap as many fingers as you can around the top of the slide and grip. Use your dominant hand to push the frame of the gun forward while leaving your other hand stationary. Keep pushing until you overcome the travel distance of the slide and push the slide out of your other hand. As your strong hand pushes the slide out from your stationary off hand, the slide will snap forward back into battery - hopefully taking a fresh cartridge with it. (Mind you, it'll take doing this with some quickness to achieve the desired effects)

Hard to type in words the actions, but having your "whole hand" on the slide as opposed to two fingers makes a HUGE difference.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A S&W J frame revolver, with APEX spring kit, is an option. Gripping strength and/ or trigger finger strength is an issue with folks who have or have had carpal tunnel, as well as, some women, disabled and the very elderly. Most factory guns aren't immediately suitable out of the box. I think customization, to the individual, is what is needed in these cases, but as I indicated, it doesn't have to be expensive customization. Each individual needs to be the final deciding factor in the pairing of gun and owner. With law suits being a big factor, I don't see the "Jitterbug" gun coming to fruition, but it is an interesting idea.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Beretta 86. .380 with tip up barrel, so no need to rack the slide if you can't. Decent size, large for a .380 but still a good size. 8 round capacity is plenty for any shooting Granny finds herself in. Has a thumb safety, but use is optional. Maintenance is incredibly simple, doesn't even require slide removal to properly clean and lubricate.

That was my thought also. Then I began to wonder if this setup would be possible in 9mm. I know blowbacks are limited because of chamber pressure but not sure about this design.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have set a couple of older people up with a gun that they could use. The two things that had to be over come was the trigger pull and the weight of the fire arm. My wife found that the trigger pull of the LCP made it unusable. Its weight made the recoil unpleasant. We found a Sig P 238 that the trigger pull was good. The slide was easy to rack and the extra weight made it more pleasant to shoot. It was about the same size as the LCP. At about twice the cost. It was just a little thicker. She can use it and it works for her. She tried a LCR in 38 special but found the recoil to be to much. So now she has the little Sig and is happy with it.

I have an uncle that is a big man and wanted a hand gun for protection. I had him come out to the house where he could shoot some of my guns and make a decision. He wanted a 45 1911. I let him fire my Springfield. It didn't go well. He had problems racking the slide and with the grip safety. He tried a Glock. That didn't go much better. I tried to teach him to push the gun and just hold the slide and that didn't help. I got out an old Colt 357 Trooper and loaded it with 38 specials. He could load and fire it with out any trouble. He just thought that it was to big. A friend across the way had a Ruger GP100 with a 3" barrel that I barrowed for him to try. He liked it but thought it was still to heavy. I took him down to a local gun shop and they had a S&W model 10 with the heavy barrel. He liked that and decided to get one. He couldn't buy that one because he lives in Ohio. So he found one in a gun shop in Ohio. He brought it out to the house and tried it. It was the 3" barreled version. He was as happy as a kid at Christmas. He could shoot it. It had a great trigger. I showed him how speed loaders work using my 44. He had problems with the knob. So I got out the strips and showed him how they work. He liked that and found it less of a hassle. He fired over a box of 125 gr HP 38 specials. He was good to go. Last time he was out to shoot he had the Hogue grip on it. He had said that a friend of his had them on a model 60 and he liked them. So he got one for his gun.

There are a lot of guns out there that will work for older people you just have to look for what the person needs. My mother couldn't stand the noise or recoil of a gun so I got her pepper spray. Not the little thing that goes on your key chain. It is a can that is just a little smaller than a can of soda and will send out a stream out to around 25 feet. That is some mean stuff. I would have preferred her to have chosen a gun but what you going to do. The pepper spray is some mean stuff. If you can attack some one with a face full of that you are one bad ass. A small caliber gun probably wouldn't bother you all that much either if you can take a face full of that stuff.

I don't like the idea of handing a person a gun that they can't work and tell them to treat it like it's disposable because it has 18 rounds. I know some older people that couldn't hold it fully loaded with one hand. I know my wife couldn't. She has a bad wrist and can't hold my 44 one handed. There are all sorts of guns out there that can work for older people. some of them are older guns. You just have to see what the person needs and then hunt for a gun that will fill the bill. There is no one gun that fits all. My grand father never had any thing to do with a hand gun but he knew how to use a shotgun or rifle. He had a double barrel by the back door till the day he died.

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Beretta 86. .380 with tip up barrel, so no need to rack the slide if you can't. Decent size, large for a .380 but still a good size. 8 round capacity is plenty for any shooting Granny finds herself in. Has a thumb safety, but use is optional. Maintenance is incredibly simple, doesn't even require slide removal to properly clean and lubricate.

I've got one, easy to load, doesn't need to racked, and it's a low recoil, but it is steel and has some weight to it if weight isn't an to big of an issue this would be my choice. I also have a Sig P938, it isn't to hard to rack, is in 9mm, and not that bad of a recoil for a 9mm in a pocket pistol. The Bersa, as someone else mentioned is another option, 380 like the 86, but light, got much recoil, and the one I have is fairly accurate.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Thread_NecroRD.jpg

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I doubt it will happen in our lifetimes but an energy-based weapon (ie phaser) would solve the problem for everyone and of course change the entire industry over-night! There would be no need or desire for a nasty dirty and loud cartridge based gun if one could have a nice light handgun sized "phaser" with no recoil whatsoever.

It's fun to dream!

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I doubt it will happen in our lifetimes but an energy-based weapon (ie phaser) would solve the problem for everyone and of course change the entire industry over-night! There would be no need or desire for a nasty dirty and loud cartridge based gun if one could have a nice light handgun sized "phaser" with no recoil whatsoever.

It's fun to dream!

And all that nasty lead wouldn't be going into the ground. Anything to protect the environment. Who knows what's happening to our soil from all those nasty shooters leaving their lead all over the place. Has anyone done studies on the effect of all the lead from guns going into the soil? That stuff is toxic, it doesn't belong in the ground.

On topic again. What is wrong with a model 10 K frame? Seems perfect for this.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Good quality 3"-4" all steel revolver is always a good choice. Gotta love a K frame. Problem is the supply of good used revolvers at reasonable prices is drying up.

since the thread is revived. S&W shield is not a bad choice. They are not terribly expensive and seem to work right out of the box. Recoil is tolerable for a smaller gun.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On topic again. What is wrong with a model 10 K frame? Seems perfect for this.

Nothing is really wrong with one, but if someone's hands are truly infirm the heavy double action trigger pull is less than ideal. My dad can't shoot a revolver without cocking it first, and cocking it is an ordeal.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Nothing is really wrong with one, but if someone's hands are truly infirm the heavy double action trigger pull is less than ideal. My dad can't shoot a revolver without cocking it first, and cocking it is an ordeal.

My wife has arthritis and suffered a traumatic hand injury. She can't shoot a revolver. Her beside gun is a quality 1911 in 9mm. She can handle it fine. She recently picked up a Walther PPQ

edit: Walther PPQ is the new Jitterbug of guns.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009

My grandfather had the same problem with his .357 that he has always used for home defense, and I actually suggested he use a single action revolver. If he is going to have to cock the hammer for every shot, a single action is considerably easier to cock.

Top Bottom