• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    This may well top the list of "Jobs you will NEVER see shooter521 doing". I am WAY better about my fear of heights than I used to be, but free-climbing 1700+ feet in the air on a little metal ladder? Bag that.

Or me either. Im a little crazy, but thats just nuts. But for some people, it doesn't bother them. My grandpa was an Iron worker in Chicago during the 50s and 60s, and it was his very favorite job. He loved it. He... is nuts.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I had butterflies in my stomach, my hands, feet and legs started sweating and I was gripping the arms of the chair like my life depended on it. I love skydiving but there is no way on earth I could will myself to climb like that.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    st. louis arch im fine in. Empire State Building, Im fine in the observatory waaayyyy up there out in the open. the towers they showed here? i might be ok if i were on the inside of the triangle frame work. get me outside of it.... well im cussing you out all the way till i lay dead at the end of my fall..

side question... can anyone give any details or specs on the light bulbs used in these towers? I live by 3, 1 really tall one, a shorter one and a med. sized one.... the tall one has been having issues with its lights and im curious to how big (physically and wattage) they are.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Not to thread jack, but watching this makes me think that next month I'm going to be out in Utah doing Angel's Landing in Zion Park. It's not quite as nuts looking, I think I can do it. but I'm not sure.
    Google it, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Not to thread jack, but watching this makes me think that next month I'm going to be out in Utah doing Angel's Landing in Zion Park. It's not quite as nuts looking, I think I can do it. but I'm not sure.
    looks like something i would go for.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Angel's Landing is a great hike. I loved it. I don't mind climbing. I have done a lot of it. Construction, Tower and antenna work. Rock and mountain climbing. BUT I DON'T do it without safety gear. That is insane. One slip of a hand or foot and you are gone. Some of you have been saying that you would climb 50, 60 or some other height. If you climb that high unprotected you might as well climb that tower. The result would likely be the same if you fell. The only difference is that the small tower would have you exposed to the risk for a shorter time.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Angel's Landing is a great hike. I loved it. I don't mind climbing. I have done a lot of it. Construction, Tower and antenna work. Rock and mountain climbing. BUT I DON'T do it without safety gear. That is insane. One slip of a hand or foot and you are gone. Some of you have been saying that you would climb 50, 60 or some other height. If you climb that high unprotected you might as well climb that tower. The result would likely be the same if you fell. The only difference is that the small tower would have you exposed to the risk for a shorter time.
    50 60 feet versus a 1000+ feet there's a difference, one you don't have too much time to think about your mistake, the second climb give you plenty of time to think about your mistake that has you free falling. Might as well make faces at the people inside building as you go down. Least you'll be bringing laughter to some one in your final moments..... That's gotta count for some points when you meet the man upstairs in a few second.

JiNx0036

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Michigan City
    For a million dollars I'd do it, but it might take me few hours if not, half the day to get up. I would be cussing up a storm all the way up and would have at least two harnesses on. Once I got to the top someone in a helicopter would need to get me down.:):

I give props to the guys that do this for a living.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    side question... can anyone give any details or specs on the light bulbs used in these towers? I live by 3, 1 really tall one, a shorter one and a med. sized one.... the tall one has been having issues with its lights and im curious to how big (physically and wattage) they are.

Before we changed ours out they were 400Watt dual filament incandescent.
    About the size of a large softball.
    Now they are all LED.

Some of the cell towers use strobes.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    There's not enough money in the world to make me free climb a tower like that. If I was safely tied off every step of the way I think I could do it... but there's no way I would take even a single step without being tied off.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Did anyone else notice that when he was standing at the very top, when he pulls the carabiner off his belt with his left hand at 7:11, he releases his right hand as well. I'm pretty sure he's standing unattached at that point. Holy crap.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    There's not enough money in the world to make me free climb a tower like that. If I was safely tied off every step of the way I think I could do it... but there's no way I would take even a single step without being tied off.

This^

I'm not too bad with heights. In fact better about them than most people I know. But I would never do something like this without the proper safety harnesses and tie offs. Plus I'm not in good enough shape to do that kind of a climb without getting really tired anyways. It would take quite a few million to get me to climb a tower like that.

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    Can't watch the video because my AIR card is putting out speeds that rival a 14.4k modem, but the picture reminds me of a video I saw a while back of an adrenaline junkie doing pull ups off the side of a VERY tall building.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yikes. Those guys have something I don't have. Not only one crazy guy but two.

The only way I'm out there is if it was a choice between climb the tower or marry Roseanne Barr. At least the tower fall would be a quick death. :laugh:

Top Bottom