• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm starting to see some results from my workouts and diet change. However, I'm starting to experience "the wall" after working out for a short period of time. I know it's because of what I am eating prior to my workouts and I need something that fuels my muscles better. What are some of you eating before and after workouts to burn energy and replace nutrients?

I'm not big on the all-in-one energy drinks, but I will take any advice out there.

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    Probably will depend on what kind of workouts you're doing. I've figured it some things that work for me.

When I run in the evenings I usually have half of a power bar type thing on my way home from work (having eaten a normal lunch). That gives me some calories in my system to help get thru my run without having a lot in my stomach. Then I just eat a normal dinner.

Lately I have been doing Insanity very early in the mornings. My stomach doesn't wake up that early so I can't eat breakfast before or even right after. So i make sure to sip lots of water during the workout then make up a whey protein shake right after to get some nutrients in my system. By the time I get to work I'm plenty hungry and I eat whatever I took with me - egg sandwich or some such thing.

What I have found out from talking with friends and family is that everyone's body has different needs. So gather up all the suggestions you can and experiment until you find the right combo for you.

Best lesson I learned from experimentation: do what your body tells you, even if it's not the "normal" thing to do. Your body will know what it needs.

Glad to hear you're seeing results!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    depends on what how intense your workouts are. Wear a heart rate monitor so you know exactly how many calories you are burning during a workout. A good rule of thumb is 2 liters of water a day and to eat your body weight in protein a day. This will keep you hydrated and feed your muscles so you don't loose as much lean body mass.

My workout days usually look as follows.

6am
    1 Men's one a day multivitamin
    2 Nature made fish oil supplements (you can skip this if you eat enough fish in your diet)
    8 ounces of 1% milk
    2 scoops (1 serving) Whey Protein Natural Whey Protein - Chocolate - Buy Natural Whey Protein - Chocolate 2.5 Powder at the Vitamin Shoppe

I then go to the gym and do my standard 1 hour workout where I burn around 900 calories. (drink close to 1 liter of water)

7:30am Leave the gym
    eat an apple and a banana

11am (lunch time)
    8 ounces of lean chicken
    some sort of veggie carrots or spinach salad

2pm (snack)
    Almonds
    Cheese stick

5pm dinner.
    WHATEVER I WANT!!!!

PM me if you have specific questions since Thanksgiving 2012 I have lost 37 pounds as of this morning.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Bacon???

Kidding aside, there are a million studies that say different things. Me personally, depends on the workout. Without fail though I like to get protein at least an hour before working out. Then some kind of clean carbs directly after.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I abstain from eating anything 2-hours prior to my workouts.
    I do indulge in a creatine drink 20-30 minutes before hitting the gym,
    not for muscle mass, it just gives me the boost to get past the wall.

Quickly after my workouts I do chug down a quality protein shake.
    The protein shake helps fill the void, thus eating smaller portions.

While I enjoy a challenging workout as often as possible,
    the mental reward is where the true gains are noticed.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If I remember correctly, you want a complex carb before to help with short and long term energy during the workout. And lots of protein after to help with muscle healing.

I could be wrong though :)

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    What is a 'workout'? You talking endurance type aerobic activities(running, cycling, swimming) or strengthening(weight lifting, Insanity, p90x, etc)?

Each workout has different nutritional requirements.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What is a 'workout'? You talking endurance type aerobic activities(running, cycling, swimming) or strengthening(weight lifting, Insanity, p90x, etc)?

Each workout has different nutritional requirements.

True. I am mostly doing circuit training for core fitness with sandbags, kettlebells, medicine balls and TRX. I am not doing a lot of the typical cardio (running, spinning, etc.) right now.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    908233_4673691845191_1469735480_n.jpg

This is the diet my trainer/nutricianist has me on with my training to reduce my body fat and increase muscle. I workout between the 0800 breakfast and the 10:00 50/50 plus powder. The CapTri that you see is a cooking oil replacement.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I workout like a madman...he is what I typically eat. In the morning I eat 4 scrambled eggs, for lunch I eat a salad with chicken, dinner is a meat and veggie dish. After my workout I take 2 scoops of Whey protein, I workout right after work at 1400hrs or on my days off at 0800hrs. Snack with banana, apples, nuts.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm reading way too much about this whey stuff. I may have to look into that, but my wife likes Shakeology and I believe it provides the same benefit.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I workout like a madman...he is what I typically eat. In the morning I eat 4 scrambled eggs, for lunch I eat a salad with chicken, dinner is a meat and veggie dish. After my workout I take 2 scoops of Whey protein, I workout right after work at 1400hrs or on my days off at 0800hrs. Snack with banana, apples, nuts.

That is pretty similar to what my meals were when my back allowed me to be in the gym 1 to 2 1/2 hours a day (depending on if I hit the pool). Boneless, skinless chicken breast, fresh fruits, salad (almost always with no dressing and very little cheese), tuna, brown rice, mixed veggies, and egg whites were the majority of what I ate. Snacks would be almonds or natural peanut butter on whole grain bread. Whey protein with a little flax mixed in for post workout. A buddy I worked out with a few days a week tried protein shakes pre-workout and ended up gassing us out of the squat rack several times.

I tried the turkey bacon but I couldn't do it. It just isn't the same.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Indulge in some chocolate milk after your workout. It's the perfect recovery drink. And, unlike the powders and stuff it won't break the bank.

Chocolate Milk May Boost Post-Workout Recovery

Truth in this. Ask powerlifting coaches what the very best supplement for building muscle...whole milk and lots of it. It cramps me up something awful.

Treaderspoint Creamery has the best chocolate milk ANYWHERE. I find it at Marsh.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Truth in this. Ask powerlifting coaches what the very best supplement for building muscle...whole milk and lots of it. It cramps me up something awful.

Treaderspoint Creamery has the best chocolate milk ANYWHERE. I find it at Marsh.

I will give the chocolate milk a try. Now I just need to figure out what and when to eat before working out.

The other day I had turkey bacon and eggs for breakfast. I skipped lunch because I didn't want to eat before my 2PM workout. I burned out!

Yesterday, I had the same thing for breakfast and then had turkey salad on wheat for lunch. It was about two hours before my workout. Again, I felt like I hit a wall. I wasn't tired or worn out, but just felt empty.

I just had a physical and I'm 100% G2G, so that's not the issue. Maybe some kind of energy sustaining supplement before I work out? :dunno:

Top Bottom