• ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't do energy drinks.

But after a hard day at work, if I feel like I'm too tired for my workout, I will drink a 1/4 of a Monster energy drink.

It helps.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I'm starting to see some results from my workouts and diet change. However, I'm starting to experience "the wall" after working out for a short period of time. I know it's because of what I am eating prior to my workouts and I need something that fuels my muscles better. What are some of you eating before and after workouts to burn energy and replace nutrients?

I'm not big on the all-in-one energy drinks, but I will take any advice out there.

Skip all the expensive over rated, over marketed sugar water/energy drinks! Best recovery drink you can buy 2% milk + Nestlé quick. My experience with energy depletion during exercise is usually due to lack of calories or too much of this/that or conducting certain exercises in the wrong order. Referring to slow twitch and fast twitch exercises.
    Additionally, energy depletion could also be due to poor VO2 conversion I.e. your cardio conditioning. Try googling no weight equipment crossfit, I have found great results working in a week of 4 days of no weight crossfit alternating weeks with weight training and a little jogging. My VO2 increased from 41% to 53% in 2 months time. Hardly ever get tired during any exercise....give it a shot, it may work for u, then again it may not!

Last edited:

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    Que-

What is your ultimate goal of working out? Is it just to be in better shape, get a beach body or be able to lift anything you want?

All diets and workouts are different and while you can mix them around, your results will vary. From what I read, and judging off of your lifting routine, it seems like you are just trying for all around better shape.

If you are trying for that, then I would recommend a clean diet. Nothing over the top, just lots of chicken and fish and red meat. Lots of vegetables, and low starches. Clean out any fried foods that we all love so much and eat healthy.

Pre-workout, I typically eat a handful of mixed nuts (almonds, cashews peanuts and pistachios) and then post workout, I have a light protein shake. Throughout the day, I eat small snacks in between meals and stay away from anything fried. Lots of fish, because I like it, but also because it is good for you..

What is your current breakdown of what you eat and when you workout look like?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I eat a bowl of cereal (typically Crunchy nut, or Cheerios) for breakfast, between breakfast and lunch ill have my time release protein shake ( i use MusclePharm combat powder) for lunch ill have Ground turkey with brown rice, an hour or so before i work out ill have a peice or two of wheet toast with peanut butter, 15 minutes before i work out ill take my supplement (MusclePharm assault). Whey shake after workout with a pinch of sugar and cinnamin(sp) followed by dinner, steak with veggies or fish with white rice.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que-

What is your ultimate goal of working out? Is it just to be in better shape, get a beach body or be able to lift anything you want?

All diets and workouts are different and while you can mix them around, your results will vary. From what I read, and judging off of your lifting routine, it seems like you are just trying for all around better shape.

If you are trying for that, then I would recommend a clean diet. Nothing over the top, just lots of chicken and fish and red meat. Lots of vegetables, and low starches. Clean out any fried foods that we all love so much and eat healthy.

Pre-workout, I typically eat a handful of mixed nuts (almonds, cashews peanuts and pistachios) and then post workout, I have a light protein shake. Throughout the day, I eat small snacks in between meals and stay away from anything fried. Lots of fish, because I like it, but also because it is good for you..

What is your current breakdown of what you eat and when you workout look like?

I am just trying to ensure I have a strong core, back and heart. I want to be flexible and have above average cardio fitness. My workout coach has me on a program that I really like and I have access to a nutritionist at NIFS, but I want to see what everyone else is doing.

Looking at everyone else's input, it seems like I'm eating too much before I work out. I'm sure part of the problem is cardio fitness, as well. I'll get there, but I like what I'm reading so far.

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    I am just trying to ensure I have a strong core, back and heart. I want to be flexible and have above average cardio fitness. My workout coach has me on a program that I really like and I have access to a nutritionist at NIFS, but I want to see what everyone else is doing.

Looking at everyone else's input, it seems like I'm eating too much before I work out. I'm sure part of the problem is cardio fitness, as well. I'll get there, but I like what I'm reading so far.

A good pre-workout snack that I like, is a banana. It keeps me from cramping, and it gives me a small boost in energy. Maybe a handful of almonds, but that is up to you.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A good pre-workout snack that I like, is a banana. It keeps me from cramping, and it gives me a small boost in energy. Maybe a handful of almonds, but that is up to you.

I will try this on the front end and chocolate milk at the end.

nocash84

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    When I lift i crave food! When I do Cardio I dont want to eat. This crosstraining made me all confused!

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    You just got the 21 and the 15 on Fran?

It was the final workout of the crossfit games open. I'm semi new to crossfit, not working out just crossfit, but I've been doing it with some folks over here and they talked me into doing the workouts AFTER the regular workouts for "fun". Anyway, the way they explained it was this was a modified Fran.

4 minute AMRAP of:
    15 Thrusters (100 / 65 lbs)
    15 Chest to bar Pull-ups
    *4 minute bonus for every 90 reps (3 rounds) completed.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Okay, I'm starting to get my cardio stamina back up to par. I'm completing my entire workout without hitting the wall. I must admit, that chocolate milk is awesome! It's very refreshing and it makes me feel like I'm getting a sustained charge of energy to my large muscle groups.

Top Bottom