• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Saw WW over the weekend. It was good. I do like that the humor was more story-oriented and quite sharp. The first half was better than the second, and the major plot points were easily deduced.

But, it was entertaining.

At the risk of spoilers, I can only imagine Chris Pine's agent pitching the roll to him.

Agent: It'd be great for you to get into a superhero franchise.
    CP: Yeah, no kidding. That's awesome. I don't really care about being a sidekick in this. So, is it 3 or 4 movie deal, maybe with options?
    Agent: Welllllllllll..................

It think there were spoiler warnings throughout the thread. At this point I don't think anyone should have any expectation of no spoilers.

And I pretty much agree. It was at least entertaining. I guess I have to also agree that I enjoyed the movie much more before they moved into the WWI stuff.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Saw WW over the weekend. It was good. I do like that the humor was more story-oriented and quite sharp. The first half was better than the second, and the major plot points were easily deduced.

But, it was entertaining.

At the risk of spoilers, I can only imagine Chris Pine's agent pitching the roll to him.

Agent: It'd be great for you to get into a superhero franchise.
    CP: Yeah, no kidding. That's awesome. I don't really care about being a sidekick in this. So, is it 3 or 4 movie deal, maybe with options?
    Agent: Welllllllllll..................

Well, they could potentially do more with it if they did something like Marvel did with Agent Carter, and some of the flashbacks, etc... though Chris Pine probably would not be interested in those types of roles.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, we don't really know what happened that night in the village. Maybe there's a half-demi-god kid. That could lead to a Junior Justice League franchise or something.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, we don't really know what happened that night in the village. Maybe there's a half-demi-god kid. That could lead to a Junior Justice League franchise or something.

Imagine the spinoffs. Chris Pine flinging a magic lasso at bad guys, and prancing around in a short skirt and golden bracelets. Not sure I would go see that movie.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Imagine the spinoffs. Chris Pine flinging a magic lasso at bad guys, and prancing around in a short skirt and golden bracelets. Not sure I would go see that movie.

You know you totally would. :D

Wonderman: his superhuman powers include listening, crying at the end of sad movies, and being emotive.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I also finally saw it this weekend.

Three things irked me:
    1) WW is a god. Sorry. Can't do that. Superhuman, demi-god even, sure, but full blown god. Nope.
    2) Making the Germans the villains in WWI. If it was WWII, that is easy, but in WWI, the war was so nuanced, I didn't like it. Especially being the really bad kind of villains, not just we are fighting them, but look how evil they are, they rape and kill indiscriminately. This would have made the propaganda poster makers from WWI proud:
    3g02794u-1562.jpg

3) The lady in the trench. "These men have been here two years, and have only moved inches," followed by, "My town is right across no man's land, save us!" Really poor plot concept.

Three things I really liked:
    1) The twist. I was thinking it was the chemist. That was a good twist.
    2) Chris Pine's character's end. Good way for him to go out.
    3) Ares' description of man. "Hey, it isn't me, I just drop ideas here and there, they do it."

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1) WW is a god. Sorry. Can't do that. Superhuman, demi-god even, sure, but full blown god. Nope.

Seemed to me like she was just a weapon created by Zeus. I don't think it ever said she was a god, but maybe I missed it (I have only seen it once and I'm definitely not in the know on her character origins outside of the movie)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Seemed to me like she was just a weapon created by Zeus. I don't think it ever said she was a god, but maybe I missed it (I have only seen it once and I'm definitely not in the know on her character origins outside of the movie)
    I don't think she is technically a god, but a demigod as the product of a union between Zeus and the Amazon Hippolyta. As I recall, the Amazons themselves were the offspring of Ares and a nymph.

So, I don't think she can be a full god, although Ares implies that she is.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No. Ares made it clear she’s a god. And that doesn’t go against the comics. Originally, WW was formed from clay by queen whatsherface, and brought to life and given powers by Aphrodite. That’s what I remember. But in the movie they did establish that she was formed from clay by queen whatsherface, but it was Zeus who broght her to life + made her a god.

In later comics they did change it so that WW was the daughter of Zeus and therefor a god.

I’d rather they’d have stayed to the original origin. If she’s a god, and only a god can defeat a god, that kinda makes for a crappy story. Well, not that they’ll ever run out of gods, but it kinda limit ls them to that. Unless they don’t mind plot holes. Or Endless superman v yet another enemy with kryptonite.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I gotta ask.... while I knew of Wonder Woman, from DC universe stuff. I never actually bought a WW comic. Didn't even watch the TV show. So I was completely ignorant of her history. You guys used to buy WW comics? And I'll really be worried if you say you had a WW lunchbox.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No. Ares made it clear she’s a god. And that doesn’t go against the comics. Originally, WW was formed from clay by queen whatsherface, and brought to life and given powers by Aphrodite. That’s what I remember. But in the movie they did establish that she was formed from clay by queen whatsherface, but it was Zeus who broght her to life + made her a god.

In later comics they did change it so that WW was the daughter of Zeus and therefor a god.

I’d rather they’d have stayed to the original origin. If she’s a god, and only a god can defeat a god, that kinda makes for a crappy story. Well, not that they’ll ever run out of gods, but it kinda limit ls them to that. Unless they don’t mind plot holes. Or Endless superman v yet another enemy with kryptonite.

"defeat" or "kill?" Gods can be defeated by mortals.... in Greek Mythology.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I gotta ask.... while I knew of Wonder Woman, from DC universe stuff. I never actually bought a WW comic. Didn't even watch the TV show. So I was completely ignorant of her history. You guys used to buy WW comics? And I'll really be worried if you say you had a WW lunchbox.[/QUO
    I was thinking along these lines as well........Head scratch

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I gotta ask.... while I knew of Wonder Woman, from DC universe stuff. I never actually bought a WW comic. Didn't even watch the TV show. So I was completely ignorant of her history. You guys used to buy WW comics? And I'll really be worried if you say you had a WW lunchbox.

No, I didn't buy any WW comics but I used to read the Justice League comics back in the day, and she was in that. I watched the WW when it was a TV series. Linda ****ing Carter man.

Top Bottom