• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    And to think that just yesterday while going through the screen at Newark, the TSA agent asked me to take my boarding pass out of my front shirt pocket because "I said take everything out of your pockets, sir."

A boarding pass is a very innocent looking weapon. I have had some pretty severe paper cuts, and in the hands of a trained Ninja paper cutter, you probably can't imagine the carnage they can wreak ... :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A boarding pass is a very innocent looking weapon. I have had some pretty severe paper cuts, and in the hands of a trained Ninja paper cutter, you probably can't imagine the carnage they can wreak ... :D

I think you would be astonished at what could be done with a piece of card stock.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    And to think that just yesterday while going through the screen at Newark, the TSA agent asked me to take my boarding pass out of my front shirt pocket because "I said take everything out of your pockets, sir."

What a joke. The same thing happened to me on Tuesday flying out of KC. So I hand him my boarding passes and he actually puts them on the conveyor belt to go through X-ray. Whatever except my passes got stuck on the belt and went underneath causing the whole belt to shut down. It took him no less than 5 minutes to retrieve the first one. When I told him I had two, he had to go back under.

I had the biggest grin on my face the whole time. It was great.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    The TSA has said that airport security officers found about four firearms per day, many of them loaded, at airport checkpoints last year. Most passengers said they had forgotten the weapons were in their bags, the TSA said.
    Are they serious?
    That's... carry the 2... Holy COW!!! almost 1500 guns a year.
    Sorry, I don't believe that.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Guess this was difficult to understand:

images

I'm soo happy I have people looking out for my safety!

Good one! :rockwoot:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I find it scary that people think the TSA is doing anything useful. According to the article, the TSA claims it knew about the gun but let her grab her bag, let her board the plane, and let the plane begin taxiing to the runway before it occurred to them to yell "Hey, stop!", 100 minutes later.

^exactly.

But hey, when you hire bottom of the barrel degenerates on power trips to run airport security you get a lot of stupidity.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    But hey, when you hire bottom of the barrel degenerates on power trips to run airport security you get a lot of stupidity.

I never thought I'd defend TSA agents... Whatever we may think of the TSA, each agent comes with his/her own story. Some are perfectly normal, down-to-earth people who just needed a job. They tend to have a more realistic view of things. Others, well, you give them a bit of responsibility and suddenly they're little Napoleons, with none of the French charm or operational genius.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I never thought I'd defend TSA agents... Whatever we may think of the TSA, each agent comes with his/her own story. Some are perfectly normal, down-to-earth people who just needed a job. They tend to have a more realistic view of things. Others, well, you give them a bit of responsibility and suddenly they're little Napoleons, with none of the French charm or operational genius.

Would you put your hands down children's pants for $9 hr? What about terminally ill old ladies in wheelchairs? What about making a child take his leg braces off (that he needs to walk) so he can crawl through security crying? It't just their behavior that is apalling, is is their policy. You could not pay me enough money to treat fellow American citizens in such a manner. So, yeah I think they all suck.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    My favorite TSA story:

I'm flying out of Denver and I'm trying to go through security. Two TSA agents, two big women are talking, one on each side of the entry to the cords. I can tell by their grammar and their general level of conversation that I'm not dealing with geniuses.

Anyway, I look at the sign above their head telling me where to go and I can't figure out if I'm supposed to go straight forward or to the left. I can't really remember or explain it right now, but it was one of those signs that is kind of ambiguous. It looked to me like it wanted me to go left, but I thought it was possible I was supposed to go straight forward.

I had paused there for just a second when someone started to go in and go left. One of the agents, with a condescending tone and bad grammar told him to go forward and pointed at the sign. As I was digging through my bag and getting my stuff straight, three or four more people came and made the exact same mistake, and keep in mind, that's what I thought the sign was directing, too. The ladies rolled their eyes at each other and started talking about how stupid people are today.

My next favorite story still really makes me angry. I approached the security line and there was this large guy standing there, glaring straight ahead with his hands behind his back almost as if he was at parade rest. In a loud, sort of impersonal drill sergeant tone he was barking out instructions. I needed to ask him about something, I don't remember now what it was, and instead of answering my question, he just repeated the exact same instruction, in the exact same tone, while staring straight past me refusing to look at me.

Yet another time, I was standing in line and female agent was walking up the and down the line giving instructions. Again with the drill sergeant attitude, she walked back and forth, "You WILL take off your shoes and place them in the plastic container, and you WILL place all electronics in the plastic container, and you WILL place the plastic container on the conveyor belt, ..." It was like a prison movie or Full Metal Jacket.

I hate them, I truly do.

My favorite thing of all is how the details of the instructions vary from airport to airport but they all act like their rules are uniform and you're supposed to know what they are automatically.

Hate.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I read a book written by a retired Navy Seal (that was published post 9/11) who indicated that special units (Delta, DEVGroup) routinely smuggle weapons aboard commercial airlines. Not sure it this is true or not, but I though it worth mentioning.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I read a book written by a retired Navy Seal (that was published post 9/11) who indicated that special units (Delta, DEVGroup) routinely smuggle weapons aboard commercial airlines. Not sure it this is true or not, but I though it worth mentioning.

Did he say why they would do this?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    From what I remember, sometimes they took commercial flights 'over there', not military flight, to remain undercover. :dunno:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Not to thread jack, but this reminds me of the last time I flew.
    towards the end of last summer I flew from Indy to Dallas. I fly probably 2-3 times a year. I'm familiar with packing my gun in the checked luggage. This particular trip I go stopped inline and they asked me for my key to gun case. I asked why and got some vague answer about checking for explosives and how I shouldn't have used a lock that they couldn't open.
    I had time to spare so I told them that I wasn't comfortable with anyone opening my gun case without me being present. They balked and told me I wasn't going to the baggage area. I told them then that we had a problem.
    They eventually agreed to take my bag underneath a camera in the baggage area and let me watch it from security area.
    The person on camera opened my case looked and closed it. Not sure what the point was.
    Anyway, that's the first time that's happened to me. Thought it odd.
    And without fail, every time I've traveled in the passed year or so they "randomly" select me to go through the body scanner.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Not to thread jack, but this reminds me of the last time I flew.
    towards the end of last summer I flew from Indy to Dallas. I fly probably 2-3 times a year. I'm familiar with packing my gun in the checked luggage. This particular trip I go stopped inline and they asked me for my key to gun case. I asked why and got some vague answer about checking for explosives and how I shouldn't have used a lock that they couldn't open.
    I had time to spare so I told them that I wasn't comfortable with anyone opening my gun case without me being present. They balked and told me I wasn't going to the baggage area. I told them then that we had a problem.
    They eventually agreed to take my bag underneath a camera in the baggage area and let me watch it from security area.
    The person on camera opened my case looked and closed it. Not sure what the point was.
    Anyway, that's the first time that's happened to me. Thought it odd.
    And without fail, every time I've traveled in the passed year or so they "randomly" select me to go through the body scanner.

My understanding is that you're supposed to use a lock they can't open and they're supposed to come get the key from you.

When I've traveled with a gun, there's always at least one leg of the journey where someone acts like it's unusual, which surprises me, surely they get dozens a day?

But then so many of them look like they have a date with their sister that night, so maybe they're preoccupied.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    My understanding is that you're supposed to use a lock they can't open and they're supposed to come get the key from you.

When I've traveled with a gun, there's always at least one leg of the journey where someone acts like it's unusual, which surprises me, surely they get dozens a day?

But then so many of them look like they have a date with their sister that night, so maybe they're preoccupied.
    My understanding to. Only the traveler is supposed to have access. First time they've ever asked me for the key to peek inside though. I just didn't like the idea that someone else would be handling my gun without me seeing it. Perhaps I'm paranoid though. (Or just looking for a fight....)

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    My grandfather (84 yr old) was doing the Honor Flight Network about three months ago with a large number of other veterans and they made him take off his leg brace!!!!!

He can barely walk period and with out it he basically has to take baby steps. They made him walk through the metal detector with it off after figuring out that that was what kept setting it off.

Sometimes following the rules isn't the right thing to do.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom