Witnessed a horrible gun safety issue today...at a gun shop.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    The laws of physics don't disappear in the confins of a gun show or gun store. If the gun is not loaded, it won't fire, period. No God or Goddess or Gods are going to magically insert a bullet and cause the gun to fire.

I understand firearm safety, but so long as one understand the laws of physics, and has good mental capabilities, everything will be OK. There are but a handful of times in a person's life where they would need to look down the barrel of a firearm. If they are dumb enough to do that with the gun loaded, bullet chambered, safety off, and a ton of idiots around who may pull the trigger (or have the trigger near things that could depress the trigger), then such is life.

This ^^^^^
    :yesway:
    Guns don't kill people!

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ive been to many, and I understand things happen, people have brain farts. But to blatantly stare down the barrel of a rifle at point blank range? Just seems a little out there to me.

The thing is I look down the barrel of my rifle all the time after cleaning to make sure its still in good shape.

Here's the catch I look down the barrel of my rifle, not the rifle itself as my barrel comes off and i hold it up to a light to check. That is one reason I like takedowns and ars is that you can break the gun down to where its no longer a gun and 100% safely inspect it.

also why not just use a boresighter to check alignment as that seems like the only way to do it on some guns plus more accurate

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Empty the gun and open the action............100% safe.
    Taking guns apart more than what is needed is silly.
    Extra wear and chance that it won't align exactly as it was before.
    I sure as heck don't pop my rifles from their stocks after every shooting session.

Boresighters...............devices that can get knocked out of whack. I've seen collimator and magnetic muzzle types that have gone out of alignment.

Eyeballs, cradle and distant object............works fine.

Like setting centershot on bows............when looking one must have good vision and rest themselves such that the sighting device doesn't float, is locked down ;)

Eyeballing, a boresight job, offhand.........seen it done too. Usually putting on a BSA or Barska.....................

Just walk away............there's nothing to see here, why even the owner of the rifle isn't going to see anything (shots on paper) ;)

sprint395

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    I was at a gun store last week and the 22 year old kid behind the counter (dad owns the shop) handed me and my brother a loaded Glock out of his waistband to check out because he didn't have one in stock. Talk about security. lol

fwgun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Noblesville, Indiana
    I was at a gun store last week and the 22 year old kid behind the counter (dad owns the shop) handed me and my brother a loaded Glock out of his waistband to check out because he didn't have one in stock. Talk about security. lol

You should have pulled the magazine out, then pulled it back and unloaded the bullet, then handed it back to him haha what an idiot

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You guys heard of a bore light... kind of useless unless you use it to look down the barrel. Just sayin', i shoot alot of lead and have to inspect to see that the rifling is clean. Although the bore light does have to be inserted in the chamber end so i am assured that the rifle is indeed unloaded in this respect.

I would say that as long as the bolt is open and maybe a orange flag is inserted then no problem. Bolt closed then NO WAY!

Sweeping customers.... not too bright.

The laws of physics don't disappear in the confins of a gun show or gun store. If the gun is not loaded, it won't fire, period. No God or Goddess or Gods are going to magically insert a bullet and cause the gun to fire.

I understand firearm safety, but so long as one understand the laws of physics, and has good mental capabilities, everything will be OK. There are but a handful of times in a person's life where they would need to look down the barrel of a firearm. If they are dumb enough to do that with the gun loaded, bullet chambered, safety off, and a ton of idiots around who may pull the trigger (or have the trigger near things that could depress the trigger), then such is life.

Finally a couple voices of reason. Once the firearm is checked and verified to be unloaded, it is completely harmless.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    This would have had me laughing uncontrollably OUT LOUD WTF does he think happens when he shoots it? Then again maybe he doesn't shoot it :n00b:

Hey, I wipe my AR down with baby seal oil, and wipe the excess/buff it with a microfiber cloth made from a unicorn fawn pelt...

You have no IDEA how hard it is to find the special bore cleaner I use... The mithril bore brushes, and everything else...

Edit to keep on topic:
    Seriously, every time I've mounted a scope on a bolt gun, I've had the bolt removed. If the bolt was removed from the rifle when they did this, no harm done, it had been rendered inoperable. If the bolt was still in the rifle, very grey, if the bolt was open, I'd lean to no harm, if the bolt was closed... bad idea, bad practice, bad example.

I often take a borelight with me to gun shows and shops when looking for something used (especially Mosins) because the outside isn't as critical to me as the condition of the bore is. But by default, the bolt or action must be open to see down the bore with the borelight in the breech end... Not a big deal, even less so because I'm the only one handling the rifle at the time.

Last edited:

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    [quoteHey, I wipe my AR down with baby seal oil, and wipe the excess/buff it with a microfiber cloth made from a unicorn fawn pelt...
    ][/quote] Dude everyone knows unicorns have foals not Fawns. man the people on here! no wonder we all go around muzzle sweeping and dry-fireing :)

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I was at an auction a couple of years ago that had a table of guns. People could pick them up and handle them before the auction started. A guy down the table from me picked up a double action revolver, looked down the barrel from 4" away, and proceeded to dry fire the gun a dozen times while looking down the barrel. I tried to explain to him why that was a bad idea. He just rolled his eyes at me and walked away.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Ive been to many, and I understand things happen, people have brain farts. But to blatantly stare down the barrel of a rifle at point blank range? Just seems a little out there to me.

Maybe the dude holding the rifle should have pulled the trigger while his buddy was eyeballin' the barrel to prove to you it was unloaded!!!:rockwoot:

(I'll retype it later in purple if it is REALLY necessary):n00b:

Top Bottom