Witnessed a horrible gun safety issue today...at a gun shop.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Have you ever seen someone repeatedly pull the trigger on a revolver? There is no need to dry fire more than a few times. When you start hearing click click click click click over and over you'll understand

One of the guys at the local guns shops I visit is the worst about this. If you ask to see something out of the case he has to check the chamber and dry fire it several times before setting it on the counter so you can look at it. I don't care that he dry fires it but it drives me up a wall.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I noticed something the other day when searching threads about muzzle sweeps. It seems that most of the muzzle sweep stories on INGO seem to come from LGS's. I don't know if it is the nature of the beast, or coinkydink, but that's what seems to be the norm here.

Please understand I'm not bashing LGS's. It just seemed to be a more common discussion topic.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Dry fire? Why does this bother you? Depending on the gun and what you want it for it is kinda nice to feel the trigger to see how it feels before you purchase. Let me guess you are going to tell me that it will hurt the gun?

Agreed! The trigger feel is HUGELY important. I wouldn't buy a gun without knowing what the trigger felt like.

On the other hand, I wouldn't do it unless I was seriously considering the gun. With permission, of course.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    You guys heard of a bore light... kind of useless unless you use it to look down the barrel. Just sayin', i shoot alot of lead and have to inspect to see that the rifling is clean. Although the bore light does have to be inserted in the chamber end so i am assured that the rifle is indeed unloaded in this respect.

I would say that as long as the bolt is open and maybe a orange flag is inserted then no problem. Bolt closed then NO WAY!

Sweeping customers.... not too bright.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Have you ever seen someone repeatedly pull the trigger on a revolver? There is no need to dry fire more than a few times. When you start hearing click click click click click over and over you'll understand
    How else are you going to make sure that every cylinder is empty?

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    But to blatantly stare down the barrel of a rifle at point blank range? Just seems a little out there to me.

The laws of physics don't disappear in the confins of a gun show or gun store. If the gun is not loaded, it won't fire, period. No God or Goddess or Gods are going to magically insert a bullet and cause the gun to fire.

I understand firearm safety, but so long as one understand the laws of physics, and has good mental capabilities, everything will be OK. There are but a handful of times in a person's life where they would need to look down the barrel of a firearm. If they are dumb enough to do that with the gun loaded, bullet chambered, safety off, and a ton of idiots around who may pull the trigger (or have the trigger near things that could depress the trigger), then such is life.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Yes I have heard the multi click click but I giggle a bit when people have a fit over dry firing guns. Yes years ago it was an issue but I don't know myself of any new age guns that it would hurt. Just one of the things about guns and people that make me laugh a little. Last time I personally have a laugh at this was when I was with this guy and he wanted to show me his new AR. He brought out and handed it to me and it was like handing me his new born baby (which I understand). I flipped the dust cover down and when it made the click down you would have thought I dropped it. I pulled the action back and locked it to check it out. After I was done fondling his baby he quickly took it back and didn't want me to close the action because it was afraid I was going to release it and let it slam shut. He wanted to release it, hold it and let it down easy. This was a moment of internal giggle. I do not claim to be an expert on guns and shooting but I am far from a newbie as well. Like I said just one of those things that makes you stop and giggle a little. I'm sure everyone has something that people do that make you laugh a little. People and their quirky things they do.:hehe:

This would have had me laughing uncontrollably OUT LOUD WTF does he think happens when he shoots it? Then again maybe he doesn't shoot it :n00b:

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    This would have had me laughing uncontrollably OUT LOUD WTF does he think happens when he shoots it? Then again maybe he doesn't shoot it :n00b:

This is a guy that works for me and he is one of those big talkers about everything GUN and HUNTING. You best shot best tracker best everything but yet in the 4years I have known him he is yet to of shot anything but mouth off.:):

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You guys heard of a bore light... kind of useless unless you use it to look down the barrel. Just sayin', i shoot alot of lead and have to inspect to see that the rifling is clean. Although the bore light does have to be inserted in the chamber end so i am assured that the rifle is indeed unloaded in this respect.

I would say that as long as the bolt is open and maybe a orange flag is inserted then no problem. Bolt closed then NO WAY!

Sweeping customers.... not too bright.

This^^^
    I have looked down many barrels! How do you know what the rifling looks like otherwise?

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    My wife likes to do that.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Nothing surprises me anymore after working at a gun shop. As soon as you hand a customer a firearm there finger is immediatly on the trigger and the constant dry fire drives me insane
    Yeah, that is stupid when people do that. If I check out a gun of some sort, I ask if I can "drop the hammer" once. Usually, I find it only takes one time to feel the trigger. They usually don't mind one dry fire.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Isn't it a misdemeanor in Indiana to point a unloaded gun at someone? I wonder the hay-day a LEO could have at a gun shop...

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I like looking down barrela of my guns... when i have removed the mag and checked twice to make sure.there is no round the chamber with the slide cocked back...

Those rifling ridges / mounds are beautiful.. they really are..

But i cringe to hear such. I have made the sweeping error.. i owned up to it on ingo.. just so i would never do it again.. something i plan on never allowing to happen again.

Anyway.. dry firing is great.. i have often wondered but some guns you have to dry fire to take the
    Down... if it was such an issue... they would come with snap caps.. from the factory. Just saying..

Top Bottom