• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Oh, and have the router on, I assume? I had it unplugged, I'll retry later.

Well there's your problem. Plug it in and I bet it will work. Have you rebooted all your devices? Sometimes I have to reboot my cordless mouse to get the modem to start duplexing again. It's weird but I think is has something to do with my version of Linux.

Good luck

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It might be worth it to rerun your software setup or download updates. Linksys can be hinky. I have to do this once or twice a year.

I bought a cheap older model Belkin for an access point that I seem to have better wireless with. Might end up changing to them for the next main router.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Ok, so I'm more of a software person than a hardware person. That being said, I think my wireless router has gone out. It's a Linksys bought around 2007-8. It is throwing a signal, but there is no internet with it, and it is not sending the internet through the hard line to the desktop either. I just got a new Samsung Galaxy 2 tablet and I'm TICKED that I can't use it to its full potential in my own home.

My question, is this fixable or should I just buy a new one? (assume I'm smart enough to have replaced all the ethernet cables and power source)

Also, if anyone would like to donate a router that they are no longer using, I may know a guy interested in it. :D

Not sure if I can assume that when I see my sig line. :dunno:

:D

Or that ...

Oh, and have the router on, I assume? I had it unplugged, I'll retry later.

:):

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Is it on the most recent Firmware?
    Actually, I'd advise him to avoid Cisco/Linksys' latest version. It's not buggy or anything, but it adds new "features" that put you firmly in their grasp and it has some privacy issues. Wouldn't hurt to be one version or two behind, but I have no plans of updating to their latest.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Actually, I'd advise him to avoid Cisco/Linksys' latest version. It's not buggy or anything, but it adds new "features" that put you firmly in their grasp and it has some privacy issues. Wouldn't hurt to be one version or two behind, but I have no plans of updating to their latest.

Ah, probably good advice. He could always Flash ddwrt on it..

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I have had Linksys WRT54G's go bad on me before. No matter what I did, it wouldn't connect to the internet. Trash it and buy another one. Even though they do go out after so long, linksys is still better than netgear or d-link's.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Ah, probably good advice. He could always Flash ddwrt on it..

I am a Tomato guy myself. I like the Netgear "WNR3500 L". The "L" is for Linux or open source compatible. Cost is around $80 and you can buy them at Staples.

Not all routers are the same. Some of the newer ones have more memory and faster processor. I've set up several dozen of these.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I wasn't able to get it working but INGOer TopDog helped me out and hooked me up with a D-Link that is working really well.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am a Tomato guy myself. I like the Netgear "WNR3500 L". The "L" is for Linux or open source compatible. Cost is around $80 and you can buy them at Staples.

Not all routers are the same. Some of the newer ones have more memory and faster processor. I've set up several dozen of these.

I confess I am not as well versed in Routers as you seem to be, so I have a question.. I only suggested he flash ddwrt in an effort to fix his issues..

Have you ever seen a Firmware upgrade/update fix an existing issue with a router? or is it a waste of time if you are already having issues?

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Not all routers are 192.168.1.1. Some can be 192.168.0.1 or you can change the IP address if you get into the settings. It is hard to diagnose it over a forum. If the resets don't work try resetting the router with the reset button on the back. If it still doesn't then you would need someone there to look at it or go and buy another one.

You can easily find out what it is by opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig then hit enter. It's the gateway address.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    If you are on a windows operating system, hold down the windows key and press the R key at the same time... Once the window opens type in cmd and press enter... Once the command prompt is open type in ipconfig /all (make sure you include the space before /all)

Once that is done you will be given a list of several codes (ip address, dns suffix etc.)

Look for your IP Address and if it is in fact 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 then it is simply your router needs reset but if you get a 192.254 IP address then you are having authentication issues and could be your router needs replaced in order for you to gain access to the internet....

But since your able to be online hardwired into the router then you may need to adjust your wireless settings and reset your router.... Linksys sucks by the way... Belkin or NetGear are the ones you want.....

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I confess I am not as well versed in Routers as you seem to be, so I have a question.. I only suggested he flash ddwrt in an effort to fix his issues..

Have you ever seen a Firmware upgrade/update fix an existing issue with a router? or is it a waste of time if you are already having issues?

No, not other than the fact that the 30-30-30 reset I do during the process clears everything out. 30-30-30 is: Hold reset button in 30 seconds while power is on. While still holding button down, unplug power and wait another 30 seconds. While still holding button down, plug power back in and hold another 30 seconds. This will clear everything, including something called NVRAM which does not normally clear.

DDWRT and Tomato are both good because they contain many features only found on more expensive routers. DDWRT is compatible with a wider variety of routers, but I like Tomato better. Both are way better than factory firmware.

I've seen plenty of routers simply go bad. Sometimes the radio will transmit, but not receive resulting in users not being able to connect to wireless.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'd like to be able to turn the linksys into a thrower, but I don't know how to.

Flashing it with DDWRT (assuming the hardware is good) will give it a lot of functionality. If you google there are very likely step by step instructions for your exact model/revision.

Top Bottom