• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    What hobbies do you enjoy during the winter?

I live in northwest Illinois, and winter is here. I am still getting some duck/goose hunting in, but will be wrapping up soon. Hope to coyote hunt a little this winter again, but likely won't get the chance too many times.

I hope to get my second garage organized this winter and setup a shop area. I would like to start getting into some woodworking, but have minimal experience. Plenty of projects around the house to do, but I don't always consider those a "fun hobby"... I have thought about getting back into toy tractor collecting (1/64th scale).

Just curious what everyone enjoys as a hobby during this time if the year?

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I took a stained glass class for a semester in college and learned a lot, but took a break from it for awhile. I'd like to pick that back up after I pick up some tools. I'm thinking about trying my hand at making kydex sheaths this winter too.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Airguns!!! A nice way to keep target practicing all winter, but indoors. My two favorite airguns pictured below...
    steyrrifleandpistol003.jpg

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If we get enough snow the wife and I ride snowmobiles

Man I've always wanted to go snowmobiling! That's the biggest suck with living in Southern IN.:(

Last winter, I did a lot of para cord tying, and made a lot of batches of hard cider and beer. I plan on building a bar in our unused room this winter.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    New one this year ... reloading.

Laundry room needs to be remodelled.

Would like to reorganize the garage, but hard to do if you can't move stuff of the way, and that can be hard when its 20F outside.

Have goal to get back on the bike for some long rides next summer, which means I need to get on the trainer this winter.

ASD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Southside
    I should spend the winter putting my race car back together but I absolutely hate working in the cold
    so as of right now I don't see it happening.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    In the shop(s).

I am either in here (my office and reloading room) as I am now on the computer or reloading or tinkering with one gun or another.

Laundryroomtoreloadingroom152_zps77097575.jpg

Laundryroomtoreloadingroom151_zps7ccba983.jpg

100_4650_zpsf3af89ba.jpg

Otherwise I am in the main part of the shop which is through the door to the right of my desk. Both areas are in my basement. The cabinet and radial arm saw are in the garage which also has heat. I do the big cuts out there and the assembly and finishing of various projects here in my basement shop. Always something to do all year long and it keeps me from going bonkers when not at the range! :)

VJHSHOP274_zps7fde89ae.jpg

VJHSHOP275_zps3cc00e44.jpg

VJHSHOP169_zps7708868a.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Reloading!

Just got done with 500 rounds of .45acp tonight. Now . . . a Gumball Head, another hobby.:D

EDIT: This is truly upsetting. We are out of Gumball Head. Drinking Pride & Joy instead. Send rhino over with a case of Gumball and a couple of chicken tamales from Mama Ines.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Reloading!

Just got done with 500 rounds of .45acp tonight. Now . . . a Gumball Head, another hobby.:D

EDIT: This is truly upsetting. We are out of Gumball Head. Drinking Pride & Joy instead. Send rhino over with a case of Gumball and a couple of chicken tamales from Mama Ines.

I just got my first 1911 so I will be loading up some 45 real soon. What projectiles did you load?

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I'm spending this winter reloading tracers. Been a few years but finally getting back to business. Watch out remote control airplanes.

p.s. i hate the cold and this is what i do.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My wintertime hobbies are Aquariums and researching stuff gun/fish related on the internet. I also like to climb ice mountains at the mall parking lot in bloomington...I swear, those people never seen a jeep being used with it's original intent

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My winter hobby
    [video=youtube;L76DfSLad5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L76DfSLad5o[/video]

this is from last year.
    I have to go out tomorrow to work on the lights some more.
    When they are up to where they were last year, I have a new addition I have to make.
    And I want to add 2 or 3 more songs.

Top Bottom