• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I'm with SE, My car froze up on the interstate one night and I had to walk to a phone. ( this was in the late 70's, we didnt have cell phones then!) Now I don't leave home without winter gear to stay warm myself and I have blankets for passengers. I also carry a tow strap for the same reasons csaws does, a log chain big enough for me to not worry about breaking would weigh a ton. I also carry a bucket with rock salt and course gravel.

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Is there room for anything else in the trunk?

Actually, yes. If you know anyone with an Olds 88, have them pop the trunk. Everything I had fit in 2 boxes about 1'8" wide where the netting is in the very back of the trunk. All I had to do was slide the extra jackets in back of the trunk (Back as in your facing the open trunk from the outside), the breakdown gear fit along side of the boxes.

I forgot to add that I had one of those blue tool bags that had a screwdriver set, hammer, level, adjustable wrench, pliers, etc and I kept the cell phone in that bag.

The cell phone was a disconnected sprint phone that I had lying around. I charged the battery and saran wrapped it to the phone so it wouldn't lose charge as fast. Even though the phone was a disconnected phone, you can still use them to call 911. Any working cell phone, connected and activated or not, will still call 911.

But yes, there was more than enough room in my trunk not only for 3 duffle bags of clothes, but also about 50 Christmas presents of all sizes. Last year I took the car to my aunt's in So. In. this way. I only had to take out one box of my "stuff" to fit everything in and take it out.

It's all about utilizing the space you're given and learning how to pack things in TIGHT without damaging anything. Almost 13 years in Boy Scouts, you'll learn that ability. :D

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    With hunting season starting to wind down, now is a great time to get some extra items for the car kit. Yesterday at Wal-Mart, I picked up two blaze orange, light weight hunting vests, made by Remington. They were on clearance for $7 a piece. I got them both XL, so that I could wear them over my heavy winter coat. I'll toss one of these in each car, so that if I get stranded somewhere and need to walk, or if I just need to change a tire, I'll be a lot more likely to be seen by motorists and not get hit.

Another great thing to pick up right now is chemical hand warmers. Toss some in the glove box to have in case you get stuck.

Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    Tylenol

Don't forget to have a large bottle of some sort of pain reliever. This will help you if you are trapped in your car with small children or your wife. Just take a few of these pain pills to help you fall asleep and block out the questions of whats going to happen next. Be sure to start a fire and cover up if you are in this bad of a situation before taking a nap. These pills may also help with any real pain that may have been endured along the way.:laugh:

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Add Vodka or salt. You can boil it and strain it through a sock to remove the salt or just boil to remove the vodka.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. Such a shame to use vodka for anything other than it's intended purpose. But, it's necessary. And, I really don't want to be stuck with a bunch of ice in my gear.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Cool. Thanks for the tip. Such a shame to use vodka for anything other than it's intended purpose. But, it's necessary. And, I really don't want to be stuck with a bunch of ice in my gear.

Just remember, this isn't a fool-proof solution. It only drops the freezing point of the water. It can still freeze. However, if you don't have a way to boil it you could be drinking nasty water. BUT, if you don't have to worry about kids, then vodka water will have a dual purpose and you'd be better off not purifying it. The salt water will be harder to drink, but I would HATE to drink salt water! :puke:

Top Bottom