• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    Treat a 1/2 tank of gas like empty so you always have some gas.
    I keep a case of military MRE's in the back of the jeep.
    Wind-up radio and flashlight.

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    The couple of cans of heet is to prevent the gas lines from freezing. If you keep them on hand, if temps are tanking and you are on the road, you have it to add before you find yourself stranded with a frozen fuel line. When temps are cold enough to cause fuel line freeze ups, you do not want to be walking. I learned that one the hard way.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Maglite for durability and another type of flashlight (Surefire/Streamlight)
    Basic First Aid Kit
    Lighter
    Towels/Shop rags

That's about all I have in my Jeep. Really, unless you are driving somewhere very rural, emergency services wouldn't be more than an hour away.

Being a firefighter, you can not be guaranteed to get Emergency services in an hour anywhere, not even in the city during inclement weather... I wouldn't bet my life or my family's life on your statement.

"Someone already said it but if you are gonna use the chain to tow vehicles out don't get a chain get a towstrap if/when it breaks it is way less likely to take your head off or kill you"

Not to focus on small points, but chains are safer in this regard than straps. First, 3/8 inch chain has a maximum breaking strength of well over 10k pounds, almost eliminating any concern of it breaking. Tow straps stretch, if even a small bit, which if they break causes them to snap back. Chain does not stretch; if it breaks it may fly back a bit but not nearly as much as a strap will. One trick is to put a blanket/jacket/etc. over the chain, so if it does break the blanket will absorb the snap back. On the farm, and in the winter in Minnesota, I have seen several straps break and fly out of control.
    On the other hand, straps are lighter, don't rust and get your hands dirty, and in modern vehicles that don't have attachment points can be easier to hook up.

I too grew up on a farm and saw more chains fail than I care to count, yes a blanket may help the chain to the ground, but what about the lone link that breaks and becomes a projectile... once again I will use a strap then risk the life of my family, bystanders or myself.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    The couple of cans of heet is to prevent the gas lines from freezing. If you keep them on hand, if temps are tanking and you are on the road, you have it to add before you find yourself stranded with a frozen fuel line. When temps are cold enough to cause fuel line freeze ups, you do not want to be walking. I learned that one the hard way.

Got ya, for some reason I was thinking of the cans that you keep food trays warm with not the fuel treatment.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Being a firefighter, you can not be guaranteed to get Emergency services in an hour anywhere, not even in the city during inclement weather... I wouldn't bet my life or my family's life on your statement.

The plus about living in a city or suburban area is that there is _usually_ others around that can help: Businesses, homes, etc.. Not only that, cellular phone coverage is usually much better as well. The downside is that you are correct, given the nature of what is occurring, emergency resources maybe stretched thin. If you call 911 and request assistance, I can tell you for experience (not waiting myself, but calling for people), you are looking at a three hour wait+ for _any_ tow truck. Now, if you call and offer $300 instead of the typical $80-$100, then yea, they will likely move you to the front of the line.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What I keep for winter in the back of my car...

2 extra heavy winter jackets. More if the family and I plan on going anywhere farther than 10 miles away.
    4 pairs of winter gloves
    4 pair of thinner work gloves
    1 small bag of melting salt. (FWD car, no need for weight, IMHO)
    2 extra pair of pants. one fatigue, one jean
    6 pair of insulated socks
    50ft of Utility cord
    Basic First Aid Kit
    Standard break down gear (jumper cables, reflective triangles, air compressor, flare, jack, non-connected throw away phone with disconnected battery)
    Solar charger for cell phones, etc.
    3 flashlights, one maglight, one LED light, one shakeable (no battery) light
    4 packs of Ramen Noodles
    4 cans of Vienna Sausage
    4 packs of Green Tea mix (Mix with snow or water)
    2 bottles of water purifier/stabilizer
    4 Bics
    15 Firesteel Fire sticks
    5 Prime Time filtered cigarillos (cinnamon)
    1 can 150oz American Spirit Tobacco + papers
    Half pint of Hennessy
    100 extra rounds of 9mm
    Tackle box
    extra oil, tranny fluid, radiator fluid,
    Folding shovel
    backpack
    Shop Towel paper towels
    Pocket Constitution/Declaration
    1997 issue Playboy
    Complete US roadmap
    One whole package of bottle rockets and 8-10 cheap M80-type fireworks.

And I think that's about it. I might have forgotten a couple things.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana

I too grew up on a farm and saw more chains fail than I care to count, yes a blanket may help the chain to the ground, but what about the lone link that breaks and becomes a projectile... once again I will use a strap then risk the life of my family, bystanders or myself.

I've been on the ambulance for 5 years, we aren't allowed anything past a 5 minute response times. Unfortunately in a disaster (floods last year, etc) that would certainly change, but I just don't feel that I'm going anywhere where immediate help couldn't get to me.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Spare batteries for my MP3 and my handheld gameboy... :dunno: I just read this on another thread and it sounds like a survival too to me :rolleyes:.

SE, does all this come with the car you have for sale? Thats worth the $800 price tag alone!!! :D

2 extra heavy winter jackets. More if the family and I plan on going anywhere farther than 10 miles away.
    4 pairs of winter gloves
    50ft of Utility cord
    Basic First Aid Kit
    Standard break down gear (jumper cables, reflective triangles, air compressor, flare, jack, non-connected throw away phone with disconnected battery)
    4 packs of Ramen Noodles
    4 cans of Vienna Sausage
    4 Bics
    15 Firesteel Fire sticks
    Half pint of Hennessy
    100 extra rounds of 9mm
    Tackle box
    Folding shovel
    backpack
    Shop Towel paper towels
    1997 issue Playboy
    Complete US roadmap

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Spare batteries for my MP3 and my handheld gameboy... :dunno: I just read this on another thread and it sounds like a survival too to me :rolleyes:.

SE, does all this come with the car you have for sale? Thats worth the $800 price tag alone!!! :D

LOL You wish! That motor and Tranny are worth that alone! But because it's you, I'll sell it to you right now for $600. Whatta ya say?

BTW, my MP3 Player would charge from the solar charger. No worries here. :D

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Dang Ryan, is that your trunk or did 7-11 just get a sporting goods section? :):

4 pairs of winter gloves
    50ft of Utility cord
    Basic First Aid Kit
    4 packs of Ramen Noodles
    4 cans of Vienna Sausage
    4 Bics
    15 Firesteel Fire sticks
    Half pint of Hennessy
    100 extra rounds of 9mm
    Tackle box
    Folding shovel
    backpack
    Shop Towel paper towels
    1997 issue Playboy
    Complete US roadmap

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Most of it fits in a large 50cal ammo can and a backpack. The rest sits in a couple boxes. Yes, in the trunk. I had to rob the super 711 to get it though. :):

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Bruenor, thanks for starting this thread. When the weather started turning, I knew I should put something together to keep in the spousal unit's car 24/7 because he drives about 100 miles a day...but I wasn't sure just what (other than BOB stuff).
    Good list, for starters. :yesway:
    I'll be taking care of it this weekend.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    On an episode of That 70s Show, I remember Eric being told to put a candle in a coffee can, light the candle, and place it behind the tires of his car. The candle heats up the coffee can, which then melts the snow. He then uses kitty little to put behind the tire for traction.

I've never tried this, but it sounds like it would work well. Any thoughts?

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Savage...You are one crazy MF'er aren't ya? lmao. LOVE your list. I hope if I ever get stranded...you are somewhere near by!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Savage...You are one crazy MF'er aren't ya? lmao. LOVE your list. I hope if I ever get stranded...you are somewhere near by!

Thanks! I guess that could be a bit overboard, but I really didn't trust my car and we used to take long trips to Northern Indiana a lot. After my wife wrecked our Astro van in the middle of nowhere right after a snow storm I decided to not go unprepared ever again. :D

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Thanks! I guess that could be a bit overboard, but I really didn't trust my car and we used to take long trips to Northern Indiana a lot. After my wife wrecked our Astro van in the middle of nowhere right after a snow storm I decided to not go unprepared ever again. :D

Understandable. It just cracked me up reading it. :):

And...would your wife be interested in the 1977 playboy? Or is that for you?:p

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    1997, and no. I tried. No luck.
    dunno.gif
    She's a party pooper.
    icon_lol.gif
    I feel ya brother.......they're no fun at all........

Top Bottom