• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    As a homeowner, I pay tax for a dozen or so municipal parks that need constant maintenance as well as repairs due to vandalism. I have seldom set foot in any of them, and have never set foot in most of them. Yet I pay. Can you imagine the public outcry if they started charging a user fee for those parks?

Not to mention the users of those ranges already pay an 11% excise tax built in to the price of pretty much all the products that we use to cover the public lands.

We already have this in nwi.
    A park between gary an merreville charges for parking. It is the only way to get to the park without walking a very long distance. This is donet o keep the gary residents out as the park is in mwrreville.

Also the beach in whiting on lake michicgan the same concept. Its free but parking is not and unless you walk and walk and walk you cannot gwt free parking.

Also a beach in miller between gary and miller sameconcept.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I might have tomorrow off work, if so I'm taking a buddy to WS. I'll report back on the range upgrades and take video of the fibs. I'll also talk to the RO about ingo's opinion about paying to use the range. IMHO if we have to pay Illinois people should pay 3xs as much.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Since the funding is federal, IL folks have as much right to be there as we do. Last year I spoke to a few IL guys who weren't following the rules there. They apologized and shaped up immediately.

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    I don't mind paying an entry fee especially since target stands get shot up and so with every shooter there's recurring costs, which isn't something you see at your neighborhood park.

7/hr is a little steep for me though. I'll just continue going Kingsbury.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I used to go to Willow Slough all the time. I enjoyed the partially self-governed nature of the range. I've visited Kingsbury once, and while it was a nice range, it was further away and I didn't like paying.

That said, $4 is reasonable for the whole day on a public range. $7/hour is a frickin joke!

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Well I wonder with WS charging $7.00 per hour if that will increase the crowds at Winamac?

Last edited:

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Not sure how to feel about this.
    Well I feel ripped off by the State. They used my tax dollars to build a range on Indiana soil, and hire workers from the communists state of Illinois to operate it. The profits no longer stay in Indiana they go to Illinois. I have spent 50 years living in Indiana and wasn't allowed to carry in Illinois. I can carry in Illinois now, but when I exit my vehicle the gun stays in the car. It should work both ways, Illinois people can come to the range, but when they get out of their car they leave their guns in the car. If they want to go shooting let them build their own range. I am sure they would never hire Hoosiers to run their range in their state park. I want my tax dollars back that were spent on this fiasco.

Indiana DNR has put the fox in charge of the hen house.

From the Indiana DNR Website:
    The improvements are funded with revenue from the federal Wildlife Restoration Act, which originated in 1937. Widely supported by hunters and recreational shooters, the act imposes an excise tax on hunting and shooting equipment and allocates that revenue to state fish & wildlife agencies based on hunter numbers for the state.

Last edited:

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    I read the whole post, but I don't believe I saw any hours of operation. Hope its open on Sun-Mon. As far as paying aslong as their are safety officers so you won't get your a** shot off I have no problem. The range in Indianapolis had similar rules. Nice place, Guy Relford ran it on the weekends. It had yearly passes for the weekends.

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    Was their a bidding process attached to this reconstruction. If so where were the indiana gun shops. Or the fix was in cause "they got a guy" that can grease the skids.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I read the whole post, but I don't believe I saw any hours of operation. Hope its open on Sun-Mon. As far as paying aslong as their are safety officers so you won't get your a** shot off I have no problem. The range in Indianapolis had similar rules. Nice place, Guy Relford ran it on the weekends. It had yearly passes for the weekends.
    From the article.

"The range and shop will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday-Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekends."

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Yep, seen it will be ran not by DNR but the private company as well. Like others, did tax money go into this? Or did a private company buy public property? Is any of this fee money going back to pay back the state? I'll just stick to Winamac.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Folks, From what I was told about these state ranges from the Winamac property manager. The Federal Government is where the money comes from for these ranges...not the state of Indiana. So your/our/my state tax dollars do not come into play. That may be why things went the way they did with regard to "whom" is running said range.It is like they hired a "subcontractor" to run it? Not that I agree with it, just my :twocents:

Top Bottom