• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I use to think the way you do and as I've said earlier, I'm not a druggie. I don't even like taking the things that are prescribed to me. But I don't believe pot itself is a destructive drug. I also think that legalizing it would cut down on a lot of crime as well. Legalizing drugs would drop the street prices tremendously and logically reduce the amount of robberies to acquire the drugs. It would virtually eliminate cartels and a lot of the drug turf wars that we are seeing now. I'd rather someone be high on pot and driving than drunk and driving.

I think the above arguement you made for Pot vs Alcohol is not too far off, and generally agree with what you mentioned above. One key difference is the second hand smoke phenomenon. I've never smoked pot before, and don't intend to (no desire to smoke at all, other than maybe a good cigar every now and then). But I did go to a Metallica concert in college where it was being used very liberally. I had what I believe to be the proverbial "contact buzz" as a result. I'm unaware of a similar phenomenon with alcohol.

So, if marijuana were made legal, it seems that there would have to be some controls to keep my 3 year old daughter from getting a contact buzz each time we go to Applebees and have to walk through the smoke cloud as we walk in. That of course opens a whole other debate around tobacco smoking and my opinions about proximity to entrances to known "NO SMOKING" establishments....

Since I don't have a lot of knowledge on the topic (can't believe I admitted to that on the interwebz!), can those that do help answer a few questions?

• Are Marijuana and Alcohol processed differently by the body, and therefore have different affects on different body systems, even though they have a similar intoxicating effect? I.e. the liver and kidneys process the alcohol and introduce it to the blood stream vs the marijuana entering through the lungs.
    • It is my understanding that physiologically Marijuana is more addicting much more quickly, and that it often leads to a desire for an even bigger and better high - opening the door for more "hardcore" drugs. Is there any truth to this?
    • It is my understanding that a smaller quantity of Marijuana has more of an intoxicating effect than relatively small quantities of alcohol. In otherwords, a normal person would have to drink say 6 beers to be as intoxicated as if they smoked a single joint. Also it is said that people build up a tolerance to alcohol...can the same be said for Marijuana?
    This of course doesn't justify drinking as ok and smoking pot as bad. I just want to know a bit more about it. My own impression is that while both can be used to get a fairly mild buzz all the way to outright near death inebriation, one could get there much more quickly with pot.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I don't smoke weed, and wouldn't even if it was legal. I find it ridiculous that we make criminals out of people who are found with weed on them, and confiscate their property in the process. I can't get on board with the line of thinking that believes this is a good thing for our .gov to be doing. I would much rather deal with a dude that's really stoned as opposed to a sloppy drunken dude.

I don't agree with everything Willie does, but I do know for a fact that he is one of the most generous human beings there is, so I don't get the Willie haters either.

rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    Willie's busses used to be leased from a co. out of Nevada. A friend of my dad's drove Willie bus for years and when Willie partied everyone was welcome.(the stories john would tell).I met him once when he came through Indiana in the 70's. I wanted to hang with him bad,but being only in my late teens dad made me stay away.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    lol

I hate to tarnish everyone's image of Willie Nelson, but it's possible that he uses marro-wana recreationally. :):

Willie Nelson Arrested For Pot Possession

Where have you been for the past 35 years? Is this a suprise to you:laugh:
    Umm i dont think any less of him, now if he was a dysfuntional smoker or drunk then I would be worried about him, He was touring like he has been for 40+ years non stop playing for working folks like you and me. Papa did you know he doesn't like to pay taxes either OH MY! not ol willy...LOL

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Umm i dont think any less of him, now if he was a dysfuntional smoker or drunk then I would be worried about him, He was touring like he has been for 40+ years non stop playing for working folks like you and me. Papa did you know he doesn't like to pay taxes either OH MY! not ol willy...LOL

Yeah, we have so few good role models these days...Good thing we have Willie to look up to!:rolleyes:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    My own impression is that while both can be used to get a fairly mild buzz all the way to outright near death inebriation, one could get there much more quickly with pot.

The fact is, you can VERY EASILY kill yourself drinking too much alcohol. Kids do it all the time in high school and college. My sister in law is a nurse at a hospital in a small indiana college town, she says the weekend ER is flooded with drunks needing their stomachs pumped to prevent alcohol poisoning. NOBODY HAS EVER killed themselves by smoking too much weed. NEVER EVER. :twocents:

Now, a logical debate could focus on liver/lung cancer and other long term problems (we could even compaire pot to tobacco then)... but if you are talking about which is safer for a night of fun, the answer is most certainly clear.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The fact is, you can VERY EASILY kill yourself drinking too much alcohol. Kids do it all the time in high school and college. My sister in law is a nurse at a hospital in a small indiana college town, she says the weekend ER is flooded with drunks needing their stomachs pumped to prevent alcohol poisoning. NOBODY HAS EVER killed themselves by smoking too much weed. NEVER EVER. :twocents:

Now, a logical debate could focus on liver/lung cancer and other long term problems (we could even compaire pot to tobacco then)... but if you are talking about which is safer for a night of fun, the answer is most certainly clear.

Very good point. Like I said, I don't know much about pot, so hand't considered this.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I dont think Willie chooses or wishes to be anyones........ "role model."

I see you have ":rolleyes:" after your sentence, elaborate for us please Mike:dunno:

purple = sarcasm

I would think that pot would impair a driver, therefore making him dangerous.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy

No way!?!?!??!?! :D

Top Bottom