Uranus

shocked.jpg

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yep, makes me feel better knowing that the U.S. Border Patrol agents:patriot: are on the job and not afraid to stir the pot...so to speak...by busting a celebrity. Too many celebs get a pass.
    Yeah, and hell, they don't have anything better to do with their time. I'm like you, it makes me feel better to know some guy, who is very open about his pot use, and doesn't try to hide it, was busted and taken off the streets. Who knows what this guy has perpetrated on the law abiding citizens of south Texas, and for that matter, the poor Mexican immigrants who just ran across the border.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I was talking to a relative of my wife's today. She works with the local probation department. I asked her what percentage of cases she has that deal strictly with pot and she said probably 25%. Great use of resources there.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I am hoping that they seized Willie's bus that he used to transport the illegal drugs. That would make a statement.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It really wasn't any trouble for those Border Patrol Agents to arrest Willie. They had to be there at that well-known permanent check point anyway. What I'm baffled by is Willie's arrogance or stupidity (maybe both) in thinking that he was going to get a pass. Maybe his judgment was impaired...Ya think?!?:laugh:

"On the Road Again" Willie just can't wait to get on the road again.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I was talking to a relative of my wife's today. She works with the local probation department. I asked her what percentage of cases she has that deal strictly with pot and she said probably 25%. Great use of resources there.

No kidding? That is a waste. What are they doing out of jail anyway?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    ...I've never tried pot but if it were legal, I probably would.

There is one huge reason to keep it illegal. There social ills we see now would multiply because a lot of people would would start smoking pot who don't now. Although, pro-pot advocates seem to find these ills acceptable in the name of some illusory right or another.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    There is one huge reason to keep it illegal. There social ills we see now would multiply because a lot of people would would start smoking pot who don't now. Although, pro-pot advocates seem to find these ills acceptable in the name of some illusory right or another.

I use to think the way you do and as I've said earlier, I'm not a druggie. I don't even like taking the things that are prescribed to me. But I don't believe pot itself is a destructive drug. I also think that legalizing it would cut down on a lot of crime as well. Legalizing drugs would drop the street prices tremendously and logically reduce the amount of robberies to acquire the drugs. It would virtually eliminate cartels and a lot of the drug turf wars that we are seeing now. I'd rather someone be high on pot and driving than drunk and driving.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I use to think the way you do and as I've said earlier, I'm not a druggie. I don't even like taking the things that are prescribed to me. But I don't believe pot itself is a destructive drug. I also think that legalizing it would cut down on a lot of crime as well. Legalizing drugs would drop the street prices tremendously and logically reduce the amount of robberies to acquire the drugs. It would virtually eliminate cartels and a lot of the drug turf wars that we are seeing now. I'd rather someone be high on pot and driving than drunk and driving.

I think the above arguement you made for Pot vs Alcohol is not too far off, and generally agree with what you mentioned above. One key difference is the second hand smoke phenomenon. I've never smoked pot before, and don't intend to (no desire to smoke at all, other than maybe a good cigar every now and then). But I did go to a Metallica concert in college where it was being used very liberally. I had what I believe to be the proverbial "contact buzz" as a result. I'm unaware of a similar phenomenon with alcohol.

So, if marijuana were made legal, it seems that there would have to be some controls to keep my 3 year old daughter from getting a contact buzz each time we go to Applebees and have to walk through the smoke cloud as we walk in. That of course opens a whole other debate around tobacco smoking and my opinions about proximity to entrances to known "NO SMOKING" establishments....

Since I don't have a lot of knowledge on the topic (can't believe I admitted to that on the interwebz!), can those that do help answer a few questions?

• Are Marijuana and Alcohol processed differently by the body, and therefore have different affects on different body systems, even though they have a similar intoxicating effect? I.e. the liver and kidneys process the alcohol and introduce it to the blood stream vs the marijuana entering through the lungs.
    • It is my understanding that physiologically Marijuana is more addicting much more quickly, and that it often leads to a desire for an even bigger and better high - opening the door for more "hardcore" drugs. Is there any truth to this?
    • It is my understanding that a smaller quantity of Marijuana has more of an intoxicating effect than relatively small quantities of alcohol. In otherwords, a normal person would have to drink say 6 beers to be as intoxicated as a single joint. Also it is said that people build up a tolerance to alcohol...can the same be said for Marijuana?
    This of course doesn't justify drinking as ok and smoking pot as bad. I just want to know a bit more about it. My own impression is that while both can be used to get a fairly mild buzz all the way to outright near death inebriation, one could get there much more quickly with pot.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

I think the above arguement you made for Pot vs Alcohol is not too far off, and generally agree with what you mentioned above. One key difference is the second hand smoke phenomenon. I've never smoked pot before, and don't intend to (no desire to smoke at all, other than maybe a good cigar every now and then). But I did go to a Metallica concert in college where it was being used very liberally. I had what I believe to be the proverbial "contact buzz" as a result. I'm unaware of a similar phenomenon with alcohol.

So, if marijuana were made legal, it seems that there would have to be some controls to keep my 3 year old daughter from getting a contact buzz each time we go to Applebees and have to walk through the smoke cloud as we walk in. That of course opens a whole other debate around tobacco smoking and my opinions about proximity to entrances to known "NO SMOKING" establishments....

Since I don't have a lot of knowledge on the topic (can't believe I admitted to that on the interwebz!), can those that do help answer a few questions?

• Are Marijuana and Alcohol processed differently by the body, and therefore have different affects on different body systems, even though they have a similar intoxicating effect? I.e. the liver and kidneys process the alcohol and introduce it to the blood stream vs the marijuana entering through the lungs.
    • It is my understanding that physiologically Marijuana is more addicting much more quickly, and that it often leads to a desire for an even bigger and better high - opening the door for more "hardcore" drugs. Is there any truth to this?
    • It is my understanding that a smaller quantity of Marijuana has more of an intoxicating effect than relatively small quantities of alcohol. In otherwords, a normal person would have to drink say 6 beers to be as intoxicated as a single joint. Also it is said that people build up a tolerance to alcohol...can the same be said for Marijuana?
    This of course doesn't justify drinking as ok and smoking pot as bad. I just want to know a bit more about it. My own impression is that while both can be used to get a fairly mild buzz all the way to outright near death inebriation, one could get there much more quickly with pot.

Top Bottom