• lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'd love to see proof of this.

This is definitely NOT true.

While IN may not have a 'brandishing' law, if you choose to 'whip it out' in public, you may be charged with:

Criminal Recklessness
    or
    Pointing a Firearm

Both are a D Felony
    You know what that means... no more firearms for you!

My wife is a public defender and tells me this happens all the time in Indy. IANALBMWI

So, never ever take out your carry piece in public to show off to anyone. OC is fine, but as soon as you start messing with it, you can be arrested, charged, and convicted.

Also, if your idiot friend handles your loaded or unloaded gun in public (or private, for that matter) and points it at someone, he can be arrested, charged, and convicted of two D Felonies. You will probably also get dragged along in that net.

In Sum:
    Don't show your carry piece off to anyone in public.
    Don't show anyone your carry piece in private if you have reason to believe someone will make a big fuss over it and call the police.
    Don't make a habit of handling loaded firearms in public for any reason other than self-defense.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    1. Indiana has no statute as to "Brandishing". Brandishing is the law in Texas, see Kirk's First Law of the Internet. You shall obey Kirk's Law and fear it.

4. New rule has been declared: if anyone types "brandishing" in reference to Indiana, rhino owes Kirk a case of .45acp and six Les Baer seven round 1911 magazines.

Poor rhino... :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Even if I retracted my statement, I will say it's important to be prudent in where, when, and with whom.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    OK, there is no prohibition for 'brandishing' a weapon in Indiana, but that merely reduces this to an argument of semantics.
    If you can be arrested, charged, and convicted of a crime for the exact same type of behavior, does it matter what it's called?

I'm not trying to be argumentative; it's just very apparent to me that the system does not work in our favor and we can get totally, irrevocably screwed if we don't follow the law TO THE LETTER. Even then, there's a chance we can still get screwed.

I was not 100% accurate on the Pointing a Firearm issue:

IC 35-47-4-3

Pointing firearm at another person
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

So, to be more accurate, it's not a felony if the gun is unloaded.

And:
    IC 35-42-2-2
    Criminal recklessness; element of hazing; liability barred for good faith report or judicial participation
    (b) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally performs:
    (1) an act that creates a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person;
    (2) a Class D felony if:
    (A) it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon; ...

There's the code.

Is arguing over weather the act 'creates a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person' something you want to do at trial with the prosecutor and the police?

It's a D Felony.
    Not ever going to be worth the risk IMO.

Here's a case for an example, although the guy involved was clearly acting in a criminal manner, I think it's still relevant:
    No.?18A02-9704-CR-252. - BRACKSIECK v. STATE - IN Court of Appeals

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Even if I retracted my statement, I will say it's important to be prudent in where, when, and with whom.

Prudence is always good.

Where: City Market -downtown Indy

When: 3 weeks ago

With whom: IMPD and the gang

"Let's whip those pistols out fella's, gotta make sure everything's safe here. DO IT NOW!" :drill:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I've lifted my shirt if I was concealing to show what I'm carrying, but it stays in the holster. If I'm in a place that I am not among a large group of people, among trusted individuals, and I am asked nicely, I might let them handle my cleared and safe gun. Mostly, I OC so people can see what I'm carrying anyway.

Most of the people I trust or would allow to handle my gun have already done so at some time in the past. Not saying they couldn't do so in the future, but they've had a chance already.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I would not get my carry gun out to show anyone in a public place or even in a crowd of people. If someone I know well asks to see my carry gun at my home or theirs, I would show it to them after I unloaded it. Anyone else, I would just tell them no. Too many people handle guns carelessly and I don't want to put even an unloaded gun in that person's hands.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    tonight i was at a bonfire with a small group of people and someone made some comment about carrying directed at me and another buddy that were both carrying that implied we had guns on us... someone then looked at me and asked if i really had a gun on me and if they could see it... i just said no i dont and then changed the subject... i personally dont feel comfortable just whipping it out and showing it off unless its someone i know very well and its just us.

but i ask the rest of you... will you show off your gun if asked?

I would most times if asked when I was younger. I think it's a mistake in retrospect and probably wouldn't now. I might if it was the inquiring person's home or in my own home and I knew them well as you suggest.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Circumstances, of course. Close friend or family in a controlled environment, sure. I will take it out of the holster, flip on the safety, drop the mag, clear the chamber, and hand it over.

Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    I don't have a problem with someone I know can handle a weapon properly. I E :can I see that new glock 30 you just got.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I feel that unloading your gun whipping it out and showing it violates my rule one.

Rule 1: Always be prepared for defense.

Now If I have a bug or second gun or some other form of weapon still in the ready condition then it depends on who asks. I try to be unarmed as little as possible when legal.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Pending the scenario I will probably say yes. Raise my shirt to expose, then promptly lower said shirt. It will not come out of the holster. If I were to hand it over I would have to drop mag, and clear chamber. Not exactly safe with others around. Now if this was at my home I'd just say BRB and get another from the safe and let them fondle away.

Jeckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Greenwood
    For me, not if I'm out somewhere. There's only one reason I would unholster my carry weapon. I have several friends with whom I shoot that I would have no problem handing my gun to, but not in public.

SundayShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Hancock County
    If while brandishing a knife you politely ask to see my wallet, I will gladly show you my carry piece. Other than that, if you wish to see a firearm of mine, I am at the range every Sunday.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    No, I don't lik people bringing attention to my gun in public. In private, I usually don't mind but I only let those I trust handle my gun ( after I have cleared it)

Top Bottom