Will there be a military response against the pirates?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirk, sorry my post may have sounded accusatory given my background, obviously it was not meant so and the update was good for those who were not up to speed.

60, no need to apologize, sir. No accusation inferred. It is hard to read inflection via type.:D

I just wanted to ensure that I was just bringing an update, not any commentary on the rescue efforts.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    They killed all the hostages!

Military killed 2 pirates, 2 were found already dead. The navy took 13 pirates hostage....... why? 13 less pirates would have been even better.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    change the ROE to "kill all pirates if any hostages are dead" and be done with it. so long as they get captured, they get a place to stay and know where their next meal is coming from.

change the game from "kill everyone - get money or get secure lifestyle" to "kill anyone, and get a bullet in the head" and it might make an impact on some of these sob's

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    because they are professionals.

Damn Straight Ranger!

Few more details from ADM. Fox's briefing...

"At 8:00 am local time Tuesday morning a rocket propelled grenade was fired at the Sterett from pirates on board the Quest. The shot missed, but immediately after gunfire erupted inside the cabin of the Quest.
    "Several pirates appeared on deck and moved up to the bow with their hands in the air in surrender," Fox said. That's when SOF approached on small boats and boarded the yacht.
    When U.S. Special Operations Forces (SOF) soldiers -- from a classified Navy SEALS unit -- reached the yacht, they found two pirates had already been killed by small arms fire. As they went below deck there was an exchange of fire that killed one pirate. The other pirate was killed by an SOF member who used a knife in close combat, Vice Adm. Fox said.
    The SOF found some of the Americans still alive, but all four soon died of their wounds. Vice Adm. Fox called it the deadliest pirate incident to date.
    "We did everything we could," said a senior military official. "But I don't think our guys would see this as a good outcome."

Doubt there will be any more "detailed" information about the tactical action itself. Sounds like internal fight, confusion, qot induced infighting among pirates. Anyway you look at it no-win scenario. Also sounds like one of the Team brothers made it up close and personal.....GOOD!

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Hopefully there will be something done. Probably not but imo there should be. They were American citizens. I dont think they should bring them here and inprison them on our dime where they will get 3 square meals a day,room and board,medical care on our dime! There are Americans here that dont have that!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Someone jokingly (I hope) suggested it would cost less to just dump loads of cash to the Somalis than to go to war against them. That's essentially what the insurance carriers have done and what has it gotten them? We would pay far less in a short viciously-prosecuted military action than we would if we continue to allow commercial shipping to be held for ransom. As an added benefit, other nations in the area would start to fear us again. I'd rather us be feared than "liked" in the world.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Someone jokingly (I hope) suggested it would cost less to just dump loads of cash to the Somalis than to go to war against them. That's essentially what the insurance carriers have done and what has it gotten them? We would pay far less in a short viciously-prosecuted military action than we would if we continue to allow commercial shipping to be held for ransom. As an added benefit, other nations in the area would start to fear us again. I'd rather us be feared than "liked" in the world.

you got to remember, obamas way of fixing things is by throwing money at the problem as how he has demonstrated in his second week in office. now if the military did it in a black out type of operation then i would all for letting our hungry dogs get something to eat :ar15::draw::mallninja::flamethrower:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The story I read said they were combining retirement/vacation with missionary work and were aware that they could be in danger. The military-trained side of me says they were foolish to not take more steps to protect themselves. The Christian side of me can just barely understand their justification for being unarmed. Like Ranger, though, I'm more a sheepdog than a lamb...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    i dont know the background story because I havent read up on this, but why the heck were these americans anywhere near that place? asking to die in my opinion.
    They were sailing in a group, heading for someplace in the Gulf, as I recall. They decided to leave the group and venture out on their own and ended up south of where they should have been and were captured. The others they were originally with had an uneventful voyage.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    We're not going to attack these pirates. In fact, we shouldn't even call them "pirates." They're actually the real victims of our country's overuse of World resources, our post-modern colonialism, our inherent racism, our moral superiority, and our arrogance.

We need to reach out to them, understand why they hate us, diplomacy them a little. Perhaps provide them with some of our women, since we (the collective we, that is, pale-skinned people of European descent) have so often abused their women.

It's all just a big misunderstanding, mostly our lack of understanding. No one WANTS to be a pirate (well, I did when I was a kid, but you know what I mean.) Killing them just creates more of them. Two wrongs don't make a right. What were Americans doing in those waters anyway? I'll tell you what they were doing, using Africa as some kind of an amusement park for rich westerners, while the people there starve.

I really can't continue typing that crap. Anyway, there will be no response. There were rumors when our troops killed the last pirates that they had never gotten the go ahead from Washington, and had gone ahead anyway claiming a threatening gesture that never occurred. Our current Commander in Chief believes the crap I was writing above.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i dont know the background story because I havent read up on this, but why the heck were these americans anywhere near that place? asking to die in my opinion.

wheres all the bleeding hearts asking me if "im really blaming these fine folks for getting themselves killed?" like they did about the reporter who was assaulted? :):

sad? sure. but sorry people, you just dont go for pleasure cruises in that part of the world. not only do you risk your own life but also your risking fine American soldiers, sailors, marines, coasties, airmens lives too! <<(order not important)

also your being a deusch bag to your family and friends back home who have to bury the pieces if any are found.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    wheres all the bleeding hearts asking me if "im really blaming these fine folks for getting themselves killed?" like they did about the reporter who was assaulted? :):

sad? sure. but sorry people, you just dont go for pleasure cruises in that part of the world. not only do you risk your own life but also your risking fine American soldiers, sailors, marines, coasties, airmens lives too! <<(order not important)

also your being a deusch bag to your family and friends back home who have to bury the pieces if any are found.

just remember you cant fix stupid... and going in that area was stupid, if your going to be around that area get a pirate hunting charter from the russians

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    We're not going to attack these pirates. In fact, we shouldn't even call them "pirates." They're actually the real victims of our country's overuse of World resources, our post-modern colonialism, our inherent racism, our moral superiority, and our arrogance.

We need to reach out to them, understand why they hate us, diplomacy them a little. Perhaps provide them with some of our women, since we (the collective we, that is, pale-skinned people of European descent) have so often abused their women.

It's all just a big misunderstanding, mostly our lack of understanding. No one WANTS to be a pirate (well, I did when I was a kid, but you know what I mean.) Killing them just creates more of them. Two wrongs don't make a right. What were Americans doing in those waters anyway? I'll tell you what they were doing, using Africa as some kind of an amusement park for rich westerners, while the people there starve.

I really can't continue typing that crap. Anyway, there will be no response. There were rumors when our troops killed the last pirates that they had never gotten the go ahead from Washington, and had gone ahead anyway claiming a threatening gesture that never occurred. Our current Commander in Chief believes the crap I was writing above.

Reminds me of a recent prophetical event....

And it came to pass, in the eighth year of the reign of the evil Bush the Younger (The Ignorant), when the whole land from the Arabian desert to the shores of the Great Lakes had been laid barren, that a Child appeared in the wilderness.
    The Child was blessed in looks and intellect. Scion of a simple family, offspring of a miraculous union, grandson of a typical white person and an African peasant. And yea, as he grew, the Child walked in the path of righteousness, with only the occasional detour into the odd weed and a little blow.
    When he was twelve years old, they found him in the temple in the City of Chicago, arguing the finer points of community organisation with the Prophet Jeremiah and the Elders. And the Elders were astonished at what they heard and said among themselves: “Verily, who is this Child that he opens our hearts and minds to the audacity of hope?”
    In the great Battles of Caucus and Primary he smote the conniving Hillary, wife of the deposed King Bill the Priapic and their barbarian hordes of Working Class Whites.
    And so it was, in the fullness of time, before the harvest month of the appointed year, the Child ventured forth - for the first time - to bring the light unto all the world.
    He travelled fleet of foot and light of camel, with a small retinue that consisted only of his loyal disciples from the tribe of the Media. He ventured first to the land of the Hindu Kush, where the
    Taleban had harboured the viper of al-Qaeda in their bosom, raining terror on all the world.
    And the Child spake and the tribes of Nato immediately loosed the Caveats that had previously bound them. And in the great battle that ensued the forces of the light were triumphant. For as long as the Child stood with his arms raised aloft, the enemy suffered great blows and the threat of terror was no more.
    From there he went forth to Mesopotamia where he was received by the great ruler al-Maliki, and al-Maliki spake unto him and blessed his Sixteen Month Troop Withdrawal Plan even as the imperial warrior Petraeus tried to destroy it.
    And lo, in Mesopotamia, a miracle occurred. Even though the Great Surge of Armour that the evil Bush had ordered had been a terrible mistake, a waste of vital military resources and doomed to end in disaster, the Child's very presence suddenly brought forth a great victory for the forces of the light.
    And the Persians, who saw all this and were greatly fearful, longed to speak with the Child and saw that the Child was the bringer of peace. At the mention of his name they quickly laid aside their intrigues and beat their uranium swords into civil nuclear energy ploughshares.
    From there the Child went up to the city of Jerusalem, and entered through the gate seated on an ass. The crowds of network anchors who had followed him from afar cheered “Hosanna” and waved great palm fronds and strewed them at his feet.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009

Something to find out would be the exact location where they were captured. Recent reports have said that the "pirates" have been reaching farther and farther out from their coastline. ABC evening news was reporting that their reach has extended out to 1700 miles from shore. That is a significant over-the-horizon reach that no reasonable seafarer would expect to have to avoid. Still .... you are in the area.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom