• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Thanks for all the great suggestions and comments. :yesway:

One of my main concerns was touched on by Stschil
    The OP is attempting to bring his wife into the fold, that can't happen if she is scared of the firearm.
    I guess I'm concerned with getting her something as a first gun and her being scared of it and it turning her off from shooting completely. I'll take this all into consideration and maybe I'll just help her find a good plinking gun to start out and then add a self defense gun once she gets comfortable shooting and confident enough to move up to something more powerful. :ar15:

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    everybody also forgets about the ammo. dont forget the right ammo can make any weapon better or worse. i would take a hollow point 380 over a 9 mm full metal jacket anyday. thats why i use winchester silvetips and hydroshocks. they make most calibers double stopping power for non-instant kill shots.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    If you can visit a range that allows you to rent handguns, that might just be the ticket. It would expose both of you to different types of firearms. Knowledge and experience defeats fear.
    I do agree with the comment about taking a NRA course. Not only because I am a instructor, but additional education and training are advantageous. Everyone is always a student.
    I had over four years of experience as a USAF Security Policeman/Armorer and still came away from a NRA Course with new skills and knowledge.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    I would also recommend something along the lines of a small .38 revolver. When my ex wanted her own pistol, we borrowed and shot a lot of "loaners" from friends and family. She fell in love with my mom's little rossi .38 snub nose. Being 4'11" and very petite, she struggled with racking the slide on my 1911 and most of the other automatics she fired. After picking up her very own blued rossi from Bradis, it was a rare sight to see her shoot anything else at the range.

For her it was simple to operate, easy on the recoil, and most importantly it was "her pistol." Definately try before you buy if at all possible.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I would look at three options:

#1 - if she is not comfortable with anything larger than a .22, then a .22 revolver would be a good choice. Look for 8 rounds or more capacity. A .22 mag would be better ballistics-wise, but the ammo is so darn expensive that she would not shoot as much...and you might as well buy a larger caliber. Rossi, Charter, Ruger and Taurus all make 22 models at reasonable prices. If she is going to carry a .22 revolver, she should practice drawing the gun and dumping 5 or 6 rounds at a target 5 or so yards away and then running as fast as possible the other direction.**

#2 - A medium-ish size revolver. Get one chambered in .357 but shoot .38's out of it. Try not to compromise too much on barrel length or sights and do not not buy a gun any smaller than she would need - this may depend on how she plans to carry it. In the mid size arena, looks at the same brands noted above.

#3 - Finally, if she wants a semi-auto, check to se that she can rack the slide first. If so, then a .380 or 9 MM gun is possible. In .380, I like the Bersa Thunder or a similar .380 - not too small and not too big either. In 9 MM, I like Kahr pistols and have two of my own. In 9 MM, I think the best choice would be the CW9 since it is the best balance between weight/size and ease of concealment.

I am 100% not a fan of pocket pistols for any first time gun owner (male or female). The recoil goes from a lot to ridiculous. Even pocket guns (like my CM9) where the recoil is "not bad" are a handful for new shooters. Recoil sensitivity goes down with time and practice.

Finally, I do not and will not recommend a semi-auto .22 that may be used for self defense and I do not recommend the Walther P22 at all - if you want a semi-auto .22 at your price point, you can pick up a Buckmark, a S&W 22A or a Beretta Neos. Bear in mind as these guns are SA and the "safety" does not block the sear or firing pin, they are not self defense guns. So, if she wants a semi-auto .22, consider it a plinking gun, not a self defense piece.

Anyway, good luck.

** the draw, dump and run approach really does not work at home. Unless, she has a 20 ga. shotgun to run to...which she should right ;-)

Last edited:

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Please let her have some input after shooting. Unless of course you use this as a scheme to get that Wilson Combat or Nighthawk you always wanted.
    My wife has no problem shooting my Python (Before I retired it). She does not like any semi auto. I reluctantly am considering a snub .22 revolver....a carry weapon is only good if you carry!!!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    A 9mm is going to be the most affordable centerfire to shoot. If you reload .380 ACP and .38 Special can be reloaded for about the same price as reloading 9mm.

For a .22LR plinking gun look no further than a Browning Buckmark Camper or Ruger .22/45.

Bersa Thunder .380 (~$250) and Thunder .380 CC (~$300) fit your list of wants. I got a screaming deal on mine and it's one of the most accurate pistols I own. I don't like "safeties that go up" but other than that I have zero complaints.

Charter Arms (~$300) fits your list too, look at #13820. It has a steel frame which makes it more comfortable to shoot. I won my wife a "Pink Lady" with an aluminum frame. She doesn't like the recoil. The steel frame version is 4oz. heavier. Not much, but every bit helps. The trigger smoothed out after 500 or so dry fires, and it's pretty accurate.

Another great option, if she likes revolvers is a 2.xx inch Ruger Service Six or Speed Six. Probably going to put you closer to $350-$400. Ruger revolvers are as reliable as hammers and are worth every penny you pay for them. A Charter will lose about a third of its value as soon as you walk out of the store.

My top snub revolver choice would be a 2.25" Ruger SP101. A used one will run ~$400. I like it because .357 Magnums feet like .38+P out of an aluminum frame gun and normal .38's are pretty mild.

Once you get to $400 then I start thinking Ruger SR9 Compact, or lately, a Springfield XD9 Subcompact, which are a ton of gun for the money.

A used Glock 26, perhaps?

One more thought, the Ruger LCR in .38 Special. Light, nice trigger, good grips, but probably more than you want to pay. And sometimes you can find S&W Airweights in the $350-$400 range.

I also recommend a Pistol Class where she can try several things before she makes a decision. About half of the ladies that bring a gun end up liking something else better. Several of them know they want an LCP... until they shoot it.

oldshaky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greensburg
    You couldnt go wrong with a 38 special to start out with . A Charter Arms Undercover would be close to your price range & is easy to operate for someone just beginning to shoot .

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    If she is carrying it on her person, you may want to take into account what she wears and how it would conceal. My wife wears scrubs and wanted it on her person not in her purse (and I did as well). This made the weight of the gun very important but of course lighter gun=more recoil. Luckily she has experienced shooting many times before and is very capable of handling recoil. We (she) decided on a smith airweight 642-2 with a band type holster. Hope this helps.

Bigjon07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I am in the same situation. I am looking at a walther pk380 it said to be the least recoil for this round. Nice size for her to be comfortable and not to hard the billfold!

Judy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2011
    I am female and carry either my colt .38 spl or Glock 26 both are small, easy to conceal with the added bonus of knock down power.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    if racking the slide is hard for her , don't forget about the Berettas with a tip up barrel . Makes loading , unloading much easier for her .

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    For a new shooter, in general I think a revolver is a great defensive weapon. While I definitely wouldn't want to get shot with one, I have reservations about a .22 as as a defensive caliber. A great option if you can find one is the Taurus 731, .32 H&R Magnum. Much better terminal ballistics than .22, and even with the 2" barrel recoil is pretty much nonexistent. Only drawback is that the ammo can be hard to find.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    In that price range, I really think the Bersa Thunder 380 (7+1 version) deserves a look. My dad has got one, owned it maybe 6 years unless I'm mistaken. But it's a solid shooter with very LIGHT recoil, good aim and 0 fails of any kind to this date.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Check out Ruger SR9C if she prefers a more full sized gun. It really comes down to what fits her hand the best.

I have this gun. I love it! Not too big, not too much recoil. There is nothing I do not like about it.

Also have a Taurus TCP 738. Very small, easy to conceal. A bit snappy to shoot. More expensive to shoot. I do carry this often because of its size.

I have a .22 Ruger Mark III that is fun to shoot and obviously more reasonable price wise. A great first gun!

As everyone has mentioned, if you want her to shoot make sure it is her decision all the way. I must say my husband has never complained when I am gun shopping.:D

Top Bottom