• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Ok so I have a question, I've been reading some threads and I keep seeing this reoccurring statement "My wife said no" or "Wife said one has to go". :rolleyes: Is this a real situation or is this something guys use as an excuse? I could only wish for the day my wife actually tells me no on a gun.. or any purchase for that matter.

Don't get me wrong I respect my wife, and I value her input, but NO?????

What say ye INGO?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    In these tight economic times most of us fellows who "married up" owe whatever successes we have had in life to our spouses...They handle the finances and sometimes due to events that us fellows are too obtuse to see, a $300-$1500 gun purchase may not be feasible at this moment in history....A good wife is like a good accountant in that she always knows your finanacial situation better than you do and is quick to let you know whether that purchase is feasable at this time...

With that being said a good friend of mine who has a gun shop in Kentucky and I were at the Lexington show at Corruptarena and my buddy hollered to his oldest, "Hey son, Did ya get the MDK money from where I told ya?"..."He said, "Yes Sir" and handed his dad a wad of bills...I looked at my buddy and said "MDK money???" and my buddy looked at me, grinned and said..."Mama Don't Know money.":):

The point being...There are ways around the accountant/CFO/Spouse.....But....I do not recomend the MDK route as it is been my experience that there ain't a damn thing "Mama Don't Know.";)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I say that with a divorce rate at or over 50%, it wouldn't surprise me if a guy was in a relationship where the wife felt it was necessary for a husband to ask permission or where she thought she could give orders. Likewise, it wouldn't surprise me if a guy thought he had to keep things from his wife.

I'm here to tell you, friends, that's no way to live. I've been married almost half of my life (20+ years at 42 years of age) and it doesn't have to be that way. Men, love and respect your wives and make good financial decisions. Women, respect and trust your husbands.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My wife was against having a gun in the house and said "No!" That could not stand and I would have been lless of a man, IMO, if I allowed my home to be defenseless because of her fear. On the other hand, if I had more than adequate defensive instruments, including a gun, and her disagreement was based on lack of funding, I would have to either agree or find something to sell and get what I wanted. I've done this a few times and my iTrader feedback can attest to that. LOL!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'll agree with that.

My wife carries the checkbook and I seldom ever know what's in it. Small ticket items, I buy what I want and if the checkbook is getting low for the week, she'll let me know in advance. Large ticket items, I either work overtime or figure out another way to budget for them. Regular paychecks just don't cover big ticket items. She can spend whatever she wants and I most likely wouldn't know about it but she doesn't go out and blow money.

I'm leaving the wife and daughter at home tonight on a week long Canadian fishing trip. It's costing me over $2k all said and done without much grumbling from her. It's definitely not something I will regularly do. I didn't like the treatment of second class citizen when I was growing up so I won't do it to my daughter. If I'm not willing to fork it out for my daughter, I won't spend it on myself.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My wife and I share in the financial decisions pretty much equally so I typically consult with her, but ultimately do what I want if it's truly "too good to pass up." She's pretty understanding about it too because I guess I lucked out finding a wife that loves guns and shooting.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My wife isn't someone I boss around, lie to, or ignore. If she says no then there is a discussion as to why not. Any purchase of a few hundred or more we will discuss together. And there is always the danger of, "You just spent $500 on a gun so I get to go spend $500." A $500 gun can turn into $1000 if you're not careful.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    My soon to be wife (Oct 5th) is the bread winner in our household and I have no shame about it. For the most part sheblets me buy what I want, within reason. So I can't complain. I can't recall being told outright NO! But sometimes I've gotten the "well its going to have to wait a little bit". I'm good with that.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    My wife isn't someone I boss around, lie to, or ignore. If she says no then there is a discussion as to why not. Any purchase of a few hundred or more we will discuss together. And there is always the danger of, "You just spent $500 on a gun so I get to go spend $500." A $500 gun can turn into $1000 if you're not careful.

Can you say " PUG".

Good for you.

Can you say " Boston Terrier".

I love them both.:yesway:

:biggun:

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well I guess we all live different lives. I was not speaking about the men who spend there family into the poor house. My wife and I both work and have our own accounts and we buy what we want. We have a joint savings that most large purchases come from. Also we don't live outside of our means we pay cash for our vehicles, no credit cards, etc.

As far as happy wife happy life. She has the nicer vehicle, the house we live in was the one she picked out. My wife has what she wants, right up and till it comes to no you can't have what YOU want. I guess I just can't see a grown man getting told NO. My wife has stood next to me at many gun shows, and LGS's and watched me spend thousands. And some of those times I did not tell her I was going to do it. She always says can I shoot it, or is what you have been looking for. I guess I got a good wife, or she knows I would do it anyway. :):

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    My wife and I both have jobs and contribute but I make more money. With that being said we still live by "what's mine is hers and what's hers is hers". But my wife and I have a rule that if the purchase is over $75 then we have to check with each other before buying, with the exception being groceries, gas, necessities. Lke someone else said... Happy Wife = Happy Life!

triggerhappy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    My income, my budget, my responsibility. Her income, her budget, her responsibility. Why would a grown man or woman need permission from their spouse to buy a new gun?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I made a decision when I married that her needs come first. She doesn't ask for much, so when she does ask, and sometimes even when she doesn't ask, that comes first. I have enough guns, and I will eventually buy more, maybe sell some, but at this point any additions are just nice things to have. The next purchase in our house is a rehab on the finished portion of the basement. Ripping out all of the old carpet, removing the old 60's vintage linoleum tile squares under the carpet off the concrete floor, and applying some nice 18 x 18 porcelain tile. She has her own online business where she sells her own handmade arts and crafts, and she's actually doing very well at it. The basement will be her new work room.

Do I need her permission to buy a gun? No. But I don't ignore what she wants either. So when I do buy a gun, she has never complained.

Top Bottom