• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Glad to hear she's improving. I work in a hospital in a clinical support role, so I'll pass off a couple of tips:

Get her something that distinguishes her from other patients; something easily memorable. A colorful blanket or article of clothing, knit cap, etc. She'll be getting a lot of tests done now that the vent is off. CT scans, X rays, probably MRIs; etc. If the orderlies and techs in the testing depts remember her on sight, chances are they will be able to remember aches, pains, likes/ dislikes etc a lot better; not to mention develop more of a bond with her that may make them a little more on their toes.

Get to know your housekeepers. They are the first line of defense against further infection (also, MRSA is damned near ubiquitous in some hospitals. Some research claims its airborne. Some hospitals treat it as such, others don't. I suggest asking the doctor about it). Be nice to them, but if they slack off on cleaning; contact their supervisor. Most housekeepers make less than McDonald's fry chefs and their work ethic shows. Nurses, aides, even doctors will go from room to room without thinking about the isolation precautions and touch stuff without realizing it (charts, curtains, etc). Do not tolerate a bad housekeeper.

Don't look at the magazines in the waiting rooms. They never get cleaned and visitors often spread infection to them. Thankfully, most people just play on their cellphones now.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    She is able to drink a little on her own now. Said they may try some soft food (broth,soup type) later.
    I really can't thank everybody here enough, the words of encouragement have done wonders for me. I've seen the reaction by INGO to other's times of trouble and now it happened to me. WOW! It just goes to show that we are more than just a gun forum, we are a community! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!

The positive power of prayer.
    Wonderful news.

When she gets better if you still want to get wrecked I will buy the first 2 rounds......:):

I'll buy the next two :yesway:

I just may take you guys up on that offer, but after the past week a single beverage would probably do me in! :laugh:

Glad to hear she's improving. I work in a hospital in a clinical support role, so I'll pass off a couple of tips:

Get her something that distinguishes her from other patients; something easily memorable. A colorful blanket or article of clothing, knit cap, etc. She'll be getting a lot of tests done now that the vent is off. CT scans, X rays, probably MRIs; etc. If the orderlies and techs in the testing depts remember her on sight, chances are they will be able to remember aches, pains, likes/ dislikes etc a lot better; not to mention develop more of a bond with her that may make them a little more on their toes.

Get to know your housekeepers. They are the first line of defense against further infection (also, MRSA is damned near ubiquitous in some hospitals. Some research claims its airborne. Some hospitals treat it as such, others don't. I suggest asking the doctor about it). Be nice to them, but if they slack off on cleaning; contact their supervisor. Most housekeepers make less than McDonald's fry chefs and their work ethic shows. Nurses, aides, even doctors will go from room to room without thinking about the isolation precautions and touch stuff without realizing it (charts, curtains, etc). Do not tolerate a bad housekeeper.

Don't look at the magazines in the waiting rooms. They never get cleaned and visitors often spread infection to them. Thankfully, most people just play on their cellphones now.

So far I've really been impressed with the Owensboro hospital, everybody has been very conscientious about spreading infection, they've even got me a couple of times when I didn't sanitize entering/leaving or not gowning properly. Other than Bibles I haven't seen any magazines or newspapers in any waiting area. Plus their wifi isn't filtered that I've seen.
    I'll have to keep it in mind about having something distinguishing on her when she goes to a regular room. So far all the testing has come to her.
    The plan is another day or 2 in CCU to see how she does and if it goes well upstairs for another couple of days then hopefully home.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Getting off the vent is always a major accomplishment. My son was born with heart disease and had 2 open heart operations when he was four and one when he was fifteen. I hate that vent but it kept him alive. He's doing great now. This week is his last week of college! I wish the same good health for Mrs. Plinker.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    She is able to drink a little on her own now. Said they may try some soft food (broth,soup type) later.
    I really can't thank everybody here enough, the words of encouragement have done wonders for me. I've seen the reaction by INGO to other's times of trouble and now it happened to me. WOW! It just goes to show that we are more than just a gun forum, we are a community! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!

Yep! Best friends I've never met (and some I have!).

I am so thrilled to hear she's off the vent. And taking food/drink is great. Just don't rush things. Continued prayers that recovery is complete and quick.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana

I just may take you guys up on that offer, but after the past week a single beverage would probably do me in! :laugh:

So far I've really been impressed with the Owensboro hospital, everybody has been very conscientious about spreading infection, they've even got me a couple of times when I didn't sanitize entering/leaving or not gowning properly. Other than Bibles I haven't seen any magazines or newspapers in any waiting area. Plus their wifi isn't filtered that I've seen.
    I'll have to keep it in mind about having something distinguishing on her when she goes to a regular room. So far all the testing has come to her.
    The plan is another day or 2 in CCU to see how she does and if it goes well upstairs for another couple of days then hopefully home.

Great to hear the good news John, sure you will be glad to get her home and get your life back to normal. :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    wont be long now!

They moved her to regular room yesterday. They tried solid food last night and that went well. All labs are good, respratory is o.k., last scan did show quite a bit of damage in both lower lungs. Right now we'te just waiting for clearance from physical therapy and the primary physician the she is outa there!

Also last night I happened to run into one of the paramedics that came out. He said if the decision had been made to send her to Evansville then a helo would have been called. As it was, it was quicker to get her to Owensboro.

Once again a big round of thanks to everbody here, without you I may not of been able to manage!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They moved her to regular room yesterday. They tried solid food last night and that went well. All labs are good, respratory is o.k., last scan did show quite a bit of damage in both lower lungs. Right now we'te just waiting for clearance from physical therapy and the primary physician the she is outa there!

Also last night I happened to run into one of the paramedics that came out. He said if the decision had been made to send her to Evansville then a helo would have been called. As it was, it was quicker to get her to Owensboro.

Once again a big round of thanks to everbody here, without you I may not of been able to manage!

Giving prayers are easy.....What you are going through is the hard part.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    General wisdom is each day on your back in the ICU is a week of rehab/therapy needed. Lots of patience needed as she'll be recovering from the illness as well as the time on her back. Great news!

Also bring her some non-hospital food, stat!

Top Bottom