• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Disappointing day

They tried today to get her off the ventilator. Reduced her sedation then turned the vent down to see if her O2 sat stayed up and if she could handle breathing on her own. First time early today was a total failure. Tried again this afternoon, were able to have her sedation off for an hour and the vent wwwaaayyyy down. She would at least wiggle her toes on command and move her head a little if you spoke to her. Then she started thrashing around, b.p. went way up and respiration along with sat went way down.
    And to top it off the Dr. brought up that since we didn't know how long and how low her O2 was down before I woke up, there is the possibility of some neurological damage.
    Actually considered getting drunk just to get drunk tonight. And I mean rip roaring howling at the moon slobbering puking drunk. Haven't wanted to do that in years.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Sorry to hear that buddy. I recommend against alcohol has a coping mechanism generally, but especially if you could be called upon to make a medical decision for your wife. People can make huge strides in a short period so hang in there!

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    They tried today to get her off the ventilator. Reduced her sedation then turned the vent down to see if her O2 sat stayed up and if she could handle breathing on her own. First time early today was a total failure. Tried again this afternoon, were able to have her sedation off for an hour and the vent wwwaaayyyy down. She would at least wiggle her toes on command and move her head a little if you spoke to her. Then she started thrashing around, b.p. went way up and respiration along with sat went way down.
    And to top it off the Dr. brought up that since we didn't know how long and how low her O2 was down before I woke up, there is the possibility of some neurological damage.
    Actually considered getting drunk just to get drunk tonight. And I mean rip roaring howling at the moon slobbering puking drunk. Haven't wanted to do that in years.
    Wow John. Just saw this thread and I sincerely hope things get better. Prayers sent and will continue to do so. If you would like, I'll spare you the hangover and do the drinking for you, but not until tomorrow night. Stay sober for her and hang in there. God's healing be with both of you.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yeah, as others have suggested, save it. Lets be optimistic and save it for the celebration when she finally is in the clear!

I read your latest update as positive. Lets hope she continues to make progress, even if its only baby steps. Yes, there COULD be some damage, but lets not write her off just yet. It could be as simple as some reduced motor skills with no major impact. Postitive thinking... positive thinking... :)

Thanks for keeping us all up to date. I know its hard and cant imagine the frustration. Just keep a positive outlook and stay strong for her. Plenty of time for drinking later. :)

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

Try to stay positive.
    I just discharged a patient today from home health therapy who went in for a heart valve replacement, had complications, ended up on a feeding tube and ventilator. Today she completed a six minute walk with me outdoors, nothing but a cane (she didn't really need it - she walks in the home with nothing), and has basically return to her prior level.

No one knows how this will end up (not even the best neurologist). You just do your best to hang in there.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Thanks again guys and gals! I think I went into yesterday expecting too much and when it didn't happen I got a little out of sorts. And no, I didn't get loaded. Instead I took a sledge to a tree stump. Worked wonders. Just need a new handle for it now.
    Anyway everything is about the same, the nurse was talking about how he hasn't seen anything even remotely bad. So very reassuring.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Thanks again guys and gals! I think I went into yesterday expecting too much and when it didn't happen I got a little out of sorts. And no, I didn't get loaded. Instead I took a sledge to a tree stump. Worked wonders. Just need a new handle for it now.
    Anyway everything is about the same, the nurse was talking about how he hasn't seen anything even remotely bad. So very reassuring.

I've always found bashing something to dust to be very cathartic. :D

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Thoughts and prayers to you, and yours..... YES, I like to smash things, with a hammer too !!!!! :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yeah!

O.k. They finally got her off the ventilator about 2 hours ago. First words she said afterwards was"go get me a diet dew". :laugh: I think thats a good sign!
    Thanks again for all the prayers, thoughts, and vibes, I greatly appreciate it! A big +1 to you all!

Top Bottom