• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shanksinator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Congrats with your wife getting on board, by the way. One of the coolest days of my life was when my wife asked me to help her pick a carry gun and get her LTCH. Have fun with it! It has been a great couple's activity for us. My wife started going to the BGF chapter of Well Armed Women, and she loves it...if you think she might benefit from such a thing, I'd recommend it and I know my wife would.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    My wife is getting on board with the idea too. As some of you know she was robbed a few weeks back. Since then she's asked me to take her to the range, and the other day she asked me how much the lifetime LTCH cost and if I would pay for her to get it.I've got a copy of the book, The Cornered Cat wrapped and under the Christmas tree. One of her other gifts is a basic pistol class.
    Great gifts. I would say you are going about it the right way. The particular firearm is only one aspect. The knowledge to use a firearm effectively and safely is equally, if not more important IMO.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I made the mistake of buying my wife a revolver for her first gun. We're in the market for a replacement...she's shooting everything she can get her hands on. If we'd done that at the beginning, we could have foregone the expense of the revolver. Lesson learned.

You can never have too many revolvers around :):

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    Congrats to your wife. Not only will she be able to protect herself but you can justify more gun purchases as she becomes more familiar with the needs of protection.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I made the mistake of buying my wife a revolver for her first gun. We're in the market for a replacement...she's shooting everything she can get her hands on. If we'd done that at the beginning, we could have foregone the expense of the revolver. Lesson learned.

Keep it/sell it.
    I have a revolver for dress up EDC.

joliverjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    Whiteland
    My wife has come to the same conclusions. She's been going to the range with me for awhile. First got her an LCR. She tried an LC9, a Taurus PT738, and an LCP. She has now settled on the Sig P238, which I expected to happen. My Sig P238 became her Sig P238. It's okay, though. I replaced it with a P938.

The LCR (shooting .38) was too much recoil for her. She finds she can also fire the P238 much more accurately and with speed. It balances in her hand a lot better than the other small semis did. She is also a better shot than me with it. And on a completely unrelated note, we argue less now. . .

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Always a negative. Show her a nice .38 wheel gun to start out with. Nothing semi at first. JMHO

Agreed! I tried to start my wife with a semi auto. It was a disaster, and she almost quit shooting. Now she has 4 different revolvers, and she loves them. It only took her a little practice with the ammo strips to become VERY proficient at reloading the wheel gun.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Congrats... The positives WILL outweigh the negatives (firearms budget cut in half) :)
    I teach NRA basic pistol and my wife is very proficient with her G-17 but I haven't been able to convince her to apply for a LTCH. I hope it doesn't take something "close to home" to convince her as it did your wife but we will deal with that if it happens. Good luck and I would certainly consider getting her in a NRA basic pistol course in your area.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    :rockwoot::ar15: Sweet!!!! As for a weapon suggestion, my mom loves her Sig P238. it's small accurate and all around sweet. a bit pricey but well worth it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Happy Day! Now, don't make the common mistake. Let HER pick the gun. Take her to a range that rents guns and let her pick after shooting several. Find some Ingoers who are happy to let her shoot theirs, let her shoot everything she can get her hands on. Then let her pick. Otherwise you can count on buying a few until she gets one she likes.

Nice...glad to hear she's made the choice to protect herself in today's world! Sad that it came after negative circumstances...but we all are affected when negative things happen in life!

I've let my wife pick her own guns...and have purchased 2 guns for her! I highly recommend helping her to select a gun that she feels comfortable with and wants to own! If she wants to do it...be an assistant and teacher/instructor...you'll get a lot farther with her in the lead and you supplying a guiding hand along the way! She'll also learn more (which is what you want her to do anyhow) and she'll respect you for it!

Let her handle a lotta guns...and see if you can borrow / rent those she wants to try out! She'll let you know what works for her! Good luck!

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    My wife isn't strong enough to work the slide on my kahr so look into it. She chooses the LCR for home defense, almost got her talked into a LTCH. Don't forget wad cutters with standard pressure have significantly less recoil.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Definitely try a range with rentals. Also bring some of yours along. Maybe pick a few styles of a wide range for her to help her narrow down what she likes. Don't think that smaller is necessarily better. I recently took my visiting mom to a range. At home, she liked the feel of an LC9. On the range, she changed her mind and preferred a full size PX4 Storm 40S&W. She wasn't looking for a carry pistol, but it is an example of a variable preference.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    My wife is currently waiting on her ltch to arrive. The first pistol she ever shot was our M&P 45c. She had no problem with recoil and she's a better instinctive shooter than I was when I first started shooting. She intends to carry the 45c when she's pink slipped. We are just looking at holsters and different carry methods for now.

Top Bottom