• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    After reading the story this morning of our friend being shot at near his home in Indy (story here) and the story of the double homicide/home invasion in Westfield, my wife asked me to help her get her LTCH , a handgun to carry and shooting lessons. I am happy that she has finally seen the light and understand the importance of self-protection.

Proud of my wife.

So....now I need a gun for her. She has not shot very much. I am thinking Bodyguard .380 or Kahr .380.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Happy Day! Now, don't make the common mistake. Let HER pick the gun. Take her to a range that rents guns and let her pick after shooting several. Find some Ingoers who are happy to let her shoot theirs, let her shoot everything she can get her hands on. Then let her pick. Otherwise you can count on buying a few until she gets one she likes.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Also consider a Bersa Thunder if you're looking at .380. One of the less "snappy" of the .380's and still easily concealed.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Happy Day! Now, don't make the common mistake. Let HER pick the gun. Take her to a range that rents guns and let her pick after shooting several. Find some Ingoers who are happy to let her shoot theirs, let her shoot everything she can get her hands on. Then let her pick. Otherwise you can count on buying a few until she gets one she likes.

Most definitely This^^^^

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Thats great news and bad news. Good news is you now have a partner to back you up. Bad news is she will prob out shoot ya and you gun money is now spread out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    :yesway:

Always a negative. Show her a nice .38 wheel gun to start out with. Nothing semi at first. JMHO
    :noway:

Anytime a gun store automatically shows my wife a wheel gun without asking what SHE WANTS/LIKES we walk out the door. Several vendors at a local gun show lost our business to that attitude. Birds Away has got the right idea. Find what she likes and don't hesitate to buy that for her. We did that with my wife and she absolutely LOVES her Bersa Thunder .380. Of course she had to get the Crimson Trace grips... Now she's eyeballing my M&P9c.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Congratulations!

I agree with the sentiment of letting her pick out what she wants. And more importantly, getting her to shoot a variety because those small, concealable, "cute" ones can be not so much fun to shoot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :yesway:

:noway:

Anytime a gun store automatically shows my wife a wheel gun without asking what SHE WANTS/LIKES we walk out the door. Several vendors at a local gun show lost our business to that attitude. Birds Away has got the right idea. Find what she likes and don't hesitate to buy that for her. We did that with my wife and she absolutely LOVES her Bersa Thunder .380. Of course she had to get the Crimson Trace grips... Now she's eyeballing my M&P9c.

I did not say force it on her but let her see one. Her choice to make but she has to see all the choices available.

I have found that most woman can run a wheel gun right off the get go. No slide to rack/mag to load and feed etc.

If there is the strength and dexterity to run a semi-auto then get with that program. If not....baby steps with a hammer-less wheel gun.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Congratulations! I just took basic NRA handgun with my wife 2 weeks ago, it helped her comfort level tremendously. Even if it will bore you it is a great class to take with her.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I have found that most woman can run a wheel gun right off the get go. No slide to rack/mag to load and feed etc.

Tactical_20547d_374251.jpg

Here's some good experience-based brainwork on that topic. (And a bonus essay on picking out guns for your loved ones.)

Sratch16

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Congrats! My wife just came to the same conclusion not too long ago. She has years of experience with firearms, and feels comfortable running whatever is given to her. That being said, I think she's going to swipe my M&P Shield 9 as her carry piece. I'll have a Bersa to move soon, if anyone is interested.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I like the thought of a revolver too. Lets her get a feel for recoil and it's simple enough so she doesn't get overwhelmed with mechanics of the gun right off the bat

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Always a negative. Show her a nice .38 wheel gun to start out with. Nothing semi at first. JMHO

I agree with CM. I think that it helps for them to see the mechanics of a revolver moving and the hammer being pulled back for SA or moving with DA. Hornady makes a really nice lighter load for .38 sp. It is a breast cancer edition that even has a pink insert and a portion of the funds go to the Charity.

I haven't shot any but the reviews look good.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My wife is getting on board with the idea too. As some of you know she was robbed a few weeks back. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ife-friends-robbed-gunpoint-my-own-house.html Since then she's asked me to take her to the range, and the other day she asked me how much the lifetime LTCH cost and if I would pay for her to get it.I've got a copy of the book, The Cornered Cat wrapped and under the Christmas tree. One of her other gifts is a basic pistol class.

Last edited:

shanksinator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    I made the mistake of buying my wife a revolver for her first gun. We're in the market for a replacement...she's shooting everything she can get her hands on. If we'd done that at the beginning, we could have foregone the expense of the revolver. Lesson learned.

Top Bottom