• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Flesh is elastic, paper is not.
    I have seen folks shoot from Creedmoor without blast shields.
    Limbs stayed attached.
    Folks get a little vocal and or hop around afterward though.

I spaced it yrs ago and laid down to rip a .22 mag Smith at a ringer 100 yards out.
    Scorched a little spot on my jeans and made a good welt. I hit the target though :)

.44 mag, got too close on a couple (shooting between knees for long range testing). After a couple ya start to get tender.
    Not sure the amount of damage by incremental changes in proximity.

Maybe inside 1" the danger high, from 1 to 2" medium and 2.5" almost none. Dunno.

The paper by the cylinder gap does make for good video though (maybe a bit of sensationalism).

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Maybe inside 1" the danger high, from 1 to 2" medium and 2.5" almost none. Dunno.

The paper by the cylinder gap does make for good video though (maybe a bit of sensationalism).

Not sure about sensationalism so much as a good demonstration. It is understandable that he wouldn't want to put his own fingers within 1" for illustration purposes. If you are using a 2-handed grip and get your fingers near there, they will likely be within 2". It is just a good warning about bad technique.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I have been around when someone is shooting an older revolver that has timing and/or lockup issues. If cylinder to forcing cone allignment is off just a little, especially with a .22, revolvers can and will throw little slivers of lead out through the gap.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

Sensationalism??
    The guy is an established entity on youtube. You think he's demonstrating this to .... what ? ... draw more people?

It's just a safety demonstration.

Jealousy is why I think people make comments like this.

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I love Hickock45. I never realized the amount of force there, nor do I care to find out the hard way.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Forcing cone gap is going to have so blast. Where I have seen the most problems are when someone is used to shooting handcannons like the t/c contender and they get away with cheating up on the grip then shoot a big revolver like a 44 mag 500 smith or 45-70 BFR and get burned or worse.

They get used to soaking up that recoil with a high grip (even 2 handed) then when the revolver comes out the attempt to shoot the same way. Owning both I have had to stop a few shooters attempting to shoot the freedom arm 454 with flesh near the gap.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The S&W .500 Magnum generate 65,000 psi and the gasses flashing out of the cylinder gap will definitely do some damage to flesh and bone. Mythbusters didn't believe the stories about people loosing fingers this way so they did some testing. They took a raw chicken drumstick and positioned it about an inch away from the cylinder gap. When the round was fired, it severed the meat and bone. They have it on video and there are posts out there from folks who unintentionally tested this themselves.

I have 2 .460 S&Ws and 1 .500 S&W and I NEVER let anyone shoot any of these without warning them of the dangers. I go as far as having them dry fire while I watch their grip and finger placement to make sure they are good to go.

The video posted here wasn't sensationalism.... It was a well deserved safety warning from an experienced shooter.

Regnar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Knox
    When I was a kid I was bit by my Ruger New Model 22. Thankfully it was just a 22, but that learned me.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    My know it all cousin wrapped his left hand around the front of the cylinder on my 44 mag. and burnt the crap out of his hand.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My know it all cousin wrapped his left hand around the front of the cylinder on my 44 mag. and burnt the crap out of his hand.

You mean it didn't cut it off? ;)

I do realize that some cartridges today are of higher performance (like the .460 and .500 Smiths).

Contender to revolver never bothered me, as I never took a fwd grip on my TC handguns. Cracks me up, how some folks would wrap around the cylinder.

Guess they get what's comin' to them :)

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    You guys can say what you want, but I've done it using a Dan Wesson 44 Mag with a .003 cylinder gap. Luckily I had gloves on.
    It ripped the tip of my glove off and hurt like a SOB. I was afraid to take my hand out of the glove and look at it. My thumb had powder burn marks on it.
    The second time I got hurt with it was deer hunting while getting a rest off a tree and got a face full of tree bark. I'm much more careful of where the cylinder is now!:soapbox:

Top Bottom