• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    And skateboards are a mode of transportation.
    There was a young guy and girl riding those electric skateboards today right by my house. They were riding in the road, almost to the access point of the trail and saw me coming up the road in my truck.

You know what they did? They saw me and another vehicle approaching and GOT THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!!!! It was refreshing to see some courteous behavior. Everyone involved smiled and waved and went on our way.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Looking at the reasoning applied in this thread, it's clear to me we'll eventually have our ability to use the road reduced and stripped away piecemeal by pointy-headed pricks who feel empowered to pass judgement on the need to travel, period.

Bicyclists cause me zero grief. I drive around them and keep on going. It has honestly been a long time since I've seen so much INGO grief over nothing. I don't choose to road-ride anymore, but for people who feel like assuming that risk, just like with motorcycles, knock yourselves out. Literally and figuratively. It makes me no never-mind.

If you don't like bicycles being legal to travel on the road, lobby, write letters, and work to change the law. Or sit on your computer and bitch.

On second thought, scratch that first part. Just sit here and bitch. We all know you're not going to do anything else, anyway.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you don't like bicycles being legal to travel on the road, lobby, write letters, and work to change the law. Or sit here and bitch.
    Maybe you missed the part where most of us don't have problems with the ones following the rules.
    But have a problem with those that blow through stop signs/lights, cross the roads into cars paths, ride against traffic instead of with traffic, and stuff like that.
    All of which you notice, are ALREADY AGAINST THE LAW.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Maybe you missed the part where most of us don't have problems with the ones following the rules.
    But have a problem with those that blow through stop signs/lights, cross the roads into cars paths, ride against traffic instead of with traffic, and stuff like that.
    Perhaps you missed the part where people referenced the "recreational" aspect of cycling and the fact it slows them down as their only argument - without regard to whether laws were followed.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Several here have said bike’s should not be on the roads, that they are discourteous just for being in the road. Not sure why the same behavior that is common from motor vehicles causes so much hatred when they cannot really hurt anyone, the cars I saw just today failing to yield right of way, running stop signs, turning on red with no turn on red signs do not enrage the same level of hatred displayed in this thread.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I quoted your post at the time. And calling BS on the addition.

No one is on their way to kids soccer, dance, chess club etc.? No one is on their way to the workout facility, golf, tennis, pickleball, where the parking lots and courts are full? What about those plugging up the roads to go to the range? That is recreational travel, is it not?

There should be a law that only those on their way to work or on their way home are allowed to use the roads…
    Or. Use the roads, bikes or cars or any whatever is legal to be on the roads, and don’t be a dickhead.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So folks that want to legally ride a bike are selfish because they exercise their right to use the road as anyone else and those that want to ban bikes from the road are just in a hurry. Got it.

Bicycles are a mode of transportation for many…

When your recreation interferes with other people, yes. That's beyond intelligent debate with a simple look at the definition of selfishness. Now, we all have some level of selfishness. Capitalism doesn't function without it. However your selfishness is looked upon poorly by other people who justify their selfishness. I'm selfish in driving a very expensive truck while lots of valuable charities could use that money for things much more important than trucks. I, in a very literal sense, would rather drive a fancy truck than pay for clean water in some village in Africa. I understand why someone in that village may choose to hate me based on that decision were they so informed. I'm ok with that. I don't think they are aholes nor do I think their reasoning is flawed. I just like my toys more than I care about their dysentery.

I actually don't have that strong a feelings about cyclists, though the bs in this thead has moved me to hate them a bit more. But the question is why the hate. For yet another time, the fact it's legal has no bearing on if people hate you. Farting in a elevator is legal. Does it matter?

Be selfish, accept the hate, and move on. Nobody is disputing it's legal and I don't think anyone has called for that to change. You will continue to be tolerated at best (as a cyclist) so quit expecting forgiveness or a parade. Tolerance is all you are owed due to legal.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    When your recreation interferes with other people, yes. That's beyond intelligent debate with a simple look at the definition of selfishness. Now, we all have some level of selfishness. Capitalism doesn't function without it. However your selfishness is looked upon poorly by other people who justify their selfishness. I'm selfish in driving a very expensive truck while lots of valuable charities could use that money for things much more important than trucks. I, in a very literal sense, would rather drive a fancy truck than pay for clean water in some village in Africa. I understand why someone in that village may choose to hate me based on that decision were they so informed. I'm ok with that. I don't think they are aholes nor do I think their reasoning is flawed. I just like my toys more than I care about their dysentery.

I actually don't have that strong a feelings about cyclists, though the bs in this thead has moved me to hate them a bit more. But the question is why the hate. For yet another time, the fact it's legal has no bearing on if people hate you. Farting in a elevator is legal. Does it matter?

Be selfish, accept the hate, and move on. Nobody is disputing it's legal and I don't think anyone has called for that to change. You will continue to be tolerated at best (as a cyclist) so quit expecting forgiveness or a parade. Tolerance is all you are owed due to legal.
    For the record I quit serious road riding a long time ago, due to selfish, entitled, inattentive drivers on the roads making it too dangerous to be out there.

What is interesting about this thread is INGO members that usually vehemently protest any usurpation of freedom do not recognize the freedom to travel as a basic freedom when it is suggested that bike use be restricted or disallowed on roads, which if it was why would pedestrians still be allowed to use roads?

I am not the least bit surprised by the attitudes and actions suggested in this forum…

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For the record I quit serious road riding a long time ago, due to selfish, entitled, inattentive drivers on the roads making it too dangerous to be out there.

What is interesting about this thread is INGO members that usually vehemently protest any usurpation of freedom do not recognize the freedom to travel as a basic freedom when it is suggested that bike use be restricted or disallowed on roads, which if it was why would pedestrians still be allowed to use roads?

I am not the least bit surprised by the attitudes and actions suggested in this forum…

Same reason I sold my motorcycles in 2011 or 2012, don't recall which exactly.

I haven't seen many people say it shouldn't be legal. Maybe i've missed it, but who called for the law to change? I think the vast majority of the posts were not to ride where it's stupid and to attempt to minimize your impact on others. The suggestions to minimize the impact on others were met by 'sarcasm' and false equivalency instead of any sort of serious attempt to engage with. You don't want 'hate' but don't want to engage in any sort of conversation about cyclists being in the wrong or interfering with others. It's everyone else's problem so why should you deal with it. Then ask if it's selfish. :D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I hate cyclist that ignore rules and do what they want, endangering everyone.
    I'm okay with the ones that are following the rules.

1699725035981.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom