• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    Vert...Neg Rep received and returned! I think in order to build rep we are supposed to give positive rep? Then again I started shooting uspsa so maybe i'm just backwards! If I were an IDPA guy I would send real life tactical situation rep

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm not arguing energy to be the only deciding factor here for the record. There are many factors that will influence a bullets effectiveness as I stated in one of my previous posts, and you do need to look at all of them.

however, it certainly is a very good starting point.

again, were talking bullets vs bullets here. Not arrows vs bullets. Lets try to keep this a heads up comparison and not apples and oranges. And if you're comparing say hst .40 to hst .45, ballistic gel tests have proven that .40 is just as effective.

Handgun Ammo Gel Penetration - Kobalt's Place - Gallery - ASMDSS

and for the record, I skip on 9mm because I don't think it's an effective enough round.

From one enginerd to another, we'll have to disagree. Though we also come to the same conclusion that 9mm isn't as much round as we'd prefer, I don't think energy is a 'starting point' at all. I think it's pretty far down the list, actually.

It *does* matter if all else is equal, but that never happens. The assumption that a more powerful round changes only the ballistics is a huge fallacy. It changes almost everything.

My selection of the .40 is primarily based on needing a more available round for my G20. But I also weighed heavily the fact that the round dates only to 1990. The 'other' major calibers date more closely to 1890. Yes, they have stood the test of time. But I'd prefer a caliber newer than being developed when the Wright Brothers were just bicycle repairmen.

We can compare "bullet to bullets" with extremes like a Brown Bess and a 5.56. Which has more energy? The 5.56, by about 300 lb-ft.

But I dare assert that a 545gr ball of ~.72 caliber at 900 fps actually makes a bigger hole.

Brown Besses were actually known to penetrate two soldiers, bone or not.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I strongly dislike 40. I know there are some guys on here that live it, but I'm just not a fan. There's something about the "snap" that I dislike...a lot.
    Its not bad, there's just something about it that my hands don't like. I'll stick to my .357, .44, and 9mm in semi.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    ***You may now return to your pistol cartridge 'stopping power' slapfight in progress***

3609649342_dc3330e9e0_o.gif

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I strongly dislike 40. I know there are some guys on here that live it, but I'm just not a fan. There's something about the "snap" that I dislike...a lot.
    Its not bad, there's just something about it that my hands don't like. I'll stick to my .357, .44, and 9mm in semi.

I've never shot a .44, but from the way I read your post you think the recoil of a .44 is less than a .40 S&W? Is this true? I don't mind the recoil of my XDM 3.8 in .40 at all and is a compact, not a heavy gun by any means.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I've never shot a .44, but from the way I read your post you think the recoil of a .44 is less than a .40 S&W? Is this true? I don't mind the recoil of my XDM 3.8 in .40 at all and is a compact, not a heavy gun by any means.
    44 recoil less than 40 :laugh: witch one specials or magnums? magnums let you know what your shooting

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Exactly the point I'm trying to make, a guy is complaining about the recoil of a .40 then goes on to say that he prefers a .44... :dunno:

That is completely different. The .40 S&W is "snappy". (Please feel free to agree or apply purple where appropriate. I will let you decide for yourself.)

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Brown Besses were actually known to penetrate two soldiers, bone or not.

So if I were to carry a Brown Bess as my EDC, could I divide the number of imagined potential perps by two in order to arrive at the number of reloads I should carry? I currently sort of imagine two rounds per possible assailant and then add a few for good measure!

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The only reason I shoot and reload .40S&W is for Limited division USPSA. All my carry guns are 9mm. I came to the conclusion that modern SD ammo is all pretty equal, in most respects, so I chose to carry a gun with what I deem a good balance of accuracy, capacity and reliability. (That gun is a Gen II Glock G17.)

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I'm not gonna argue a recoil difference between calibers, however has anyone else noticed that recoil is very subjective and greatly effected by the gun of choice??? Personally, from my own experience, .40 out of ANY HK is not the same when compared to .40 out of say a glock. This isn't bashing glock by any means, but rather suggesting that different firearms handle recoil differently. Also, (this is totally my opinion) I think it's interesting that the .40 is considered the "perfect compromise" (I've been guilty of it myself)....What if it's not a compromise at all, but instead just a good round with a bad reputation, due to different personal experiences? The old adage goes "any round is good with practice" or "carry what youre comfortable shooting" ....maybe, but I think it would be interesting to look at FIREARMS in relation to caliber, rather than caliber alone...just my .02

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I'm not gonna argue a recoil difference between calibers, however has anyone else noticed that recoil is very subjective and greatly effected by the gun of choice??? Personally, from my own experience, .40 out of ANY HK is not the same when compared to .40 out of say a glock. This isn't bashing glock by any means, but rather suggesting that different firearms handle recoil differently. Also, (this is totally my opinion) I think it's interesting that the .40 is considered the "perfect compromise" (I've been guilty of it myself)....What if it's not a compromise at all, but instead just a good round with a bad reputation, due to different personal experiences? The old adage goes "any round is good with practice" or "carry what youre comfortable shooting" ....maybe, but I think it would be interesting to look at FIREARMS in relation to caliber, rather than caliber alone...just my .02

Have to agree with this one, I have two .45's (Kimber Custom and an XDm) as well as a .40 XD. My son has a Beretta 96 (.40) and I can tell you that the XD .40 kicks harder than the Beretta or either .45. Bet it has a lot to do with the weight difference. Anyone with the same model in both .45 and .40 care to chime in?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Regarding the XD in .40. Two things that affect perceived recoil. Weight of the gun and how high the barrel sits above the hand, bore axis. The XD weighs less and is taller. The recoil you are feeling is the gun flipping up.

I have the same issue with a Walther P99 in .40 that I own. The gun torques up and to the left. To compensate I find myself moving my support hand index finger up into the trigger guard in an effort to get a higher grip on the gun. Gun shoots awesome and is comfortable but has become a safe queen for this reason. I do still carry a Glock 23 in .40 so it is the gun not the cartridge.

americanmade

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    muncie
    Its all in your head obviously,44 is a wrist mangler but the 40 bothers you.My 110 pound girlfriend loves my 40 and shoots it often but she only fired the 44 1 time end of story.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    So if I were to carry a Brown Bess as my EDC, could I divide the number of imagined potential perps by two in order to arrive at the number of reloads I should carry? I currently sort of imagine two rounds per possible assailant and then add a few for good measure!

You could do that very thing.

But you may want to spend some time teach the perps to all line up properly so as to realize your ammo conservation plan.

Top Bottom