• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Colt makes fine firearms, but you are paying for the name. AR's are another big example. You can get rifles made to the EXACT or better specs with a better warranty for less than you pay for a Colt.

They do make good stuff though. Their guns have good resale value due to their name, but they don't have better value than similar products, IMO.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    The COLT icon has a lot of history behind it, good quality guns, however they have had their butts kicked in the 1911 department the last several years from several competitors.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Those who say with Colt you are only paying for the name, are slightly off mark. In point of fact Colts prices went up years ago when Colt began having Union problems, and simply passed the increased overhead on to the customer. The Colt SAA, the 1911, and the Python are all excellent designs (but not necessarily by Sam himself). If you choose a Python over a S&W, you can expect beautiful fit and finish, but you buy it knowing that a retiming issue is over the horizon. Smooth, beautiful, and accurate, yes, but expect unscheduled maintenance down the road. Still, you get a piece of art that shoots too.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The COLT icon has a lot of history behind it, good quality guns, however they have had their butts kicked in the 1911 department the last several years from several competitors.

In some arenas... Nothing beats the iconic plain jane series 70 Government 1911 from Colt with the nice carbonia blue (or even their regular blueing). :)

With Colt, you are getting a minimum of MIM, decent options, no wonky safety systems (like ILS, Schwartz safeties, though I have no problem with true series 80 systems), attention to detail in fitting and finish. Kimber is nice, not a fan of their recent guns though (as an RO, seen plenty go <raspberry>). For the money, yes, you can get a nice custom or higher end Springer or similar. But you are paying for a nice pistol, with EXCELLENT value retention with the Colt.

Sad thing is, used Colts are hard to get, someone has to literally die before one can get to market. Seems the northern states have little to no used ones floating around compared to the south. The stores I visited on business in the south usually had SEVERAL in the case in varying states of use and vintage. Heck, a place in Atlanta had 4-6 in the case, mostly later model series 70s for $500 each, decent condition. The old bastage wouldn't ship it though... :(

Colts are priced for a price that the market will bear... YES, there are more FEATURE LADEN 1911s out there, but the ICONIC Colt 1911, can't beat it. :D

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I bought a Colt bc, well bc its a Colt.

They have a great rep for being 100% reliable out of the box and from my experiance it is well diserved.

I bought a brand new Colt SS XSE 1911 a few weeks ago. I took it to the range on labor day and spent all day doing my typical drills with it.

I ended up putting 400 rnds down range in an afternoon without even the slightest hint of a problem.

The grips came loose after about the 300ish rnd mark, but an allen wrench took care of that and as soon as I got home a few drops of blue loctite set things right.

I think with Colt your paying for the history the brand carries along with the reputation they have earned.

Im very happy with my Colt and would buy another in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

in the AR-15 world I think there are better options for about the same or less money. but as far as 1911s in the same price range, I dont think you could ask for better than a Colt.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    With Colt, you are getting a minimum of MIM

So, that makes Colt inferior, right?

I read this gun expert forum called INGO and the new hotness is crappy guns chock full of MIM.:laugh: Guys write paeans to their crappy guns filled with MIM.

MIM in for the WIN.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    With Colt, you are paying for the name, as well as the reputation, which has been well earned for hundred plus years of making firearms. Unfortunately, in the recent years, had been taking a beating and not working as hard to keep up their Research and Development. Some are saying that if the military drops the contracts for the M4s, that they will be out of business, as their civilian side has not been active. How true this is, I do not know. I do know that there are not a lot of Colt out on the market, however this last year, I have noticed more out there lately. Would be sad if they made themselves irrelevant. As someone else mentioned, you can get another name brand and will operate just as good as a Colt, but it wont be a Colt. For some people, name is everything, just like those that are Ford fan boys, or Chevy fan boys, etc. Not saying those automotive manufactures don't know what they are doing either, but some will buy from them just cause they know the name is good.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Colt makes fine firearms, but you are paying for the name. AR's are another big example. You can get rifles made to the EXACT or better specs with a better warranty for less than you pay for a Colt.

$949 was the going price for a LE6920 a few months ago. i will admit i havent checked recently. You can keep your reversed engineered $850 dueling dong rifle when it comes to m4 patterned rifles for serious use. And equivalent rifles like BCM, LMT and DD aren't any cheaper. But we are talking about the average shooter right? Apples to apples. Context is key.

as for the OP, Colt aren't cheap but neither are equivalent guns. Kimber is a great example....they tend to be MORE expensive and have a far worse reputation. I can't believe anyone would pay $1400 for a Kimber "Custom" when they dont even have a Custom department. :laugh:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Never really drank the Colt kool-aid. Especially their AR's of the 80's and 90's.
    Their 6920 in my opinion is the best AR they have put out in years, and for the price point I think you can get better by other mfg.'s. But we are talking 1911's here, I do have to agree with someone else that Kimbers are over rated, so are colt's, I have owned a few 1911's over the years and my favorites tend to be the smith & wessons, and the STI's, both quality pieces that should be considered when looking at 1911's. :twocents:

Top Bottom