Why Should I Tip You 18%, When I Only Give God 10%?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Why should the waiter get 18% when God only gets 10%? Because the waiter actually does something for you!!!

What have you done for God lately? Where do we get the idea that God is some sort of celestial vending machine, up there to do for us. What he HAS done is provided a way to save your sorry butt and bring you back where you belong.
    He is King of Kings, Lord of Lords. Not your President.
    Praise, Glory and Honor for ever and ever to our Lord Jesus Christ.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    However you may wish to package the verbiage, the house is taking and reapportioning the tip money. As far as I am concerned, the same law should be applied here that is applied to the fuel surcharge money in trucking. By law, that goes to whoever pays for the fuel. In tips, the tip should go to the person to whom it was given. If the restaurant wants to have other employees, it should pay them.

As for the immediate issue, forced tips infuriate me to no end, and when confronted with them, I will not pay a penny more. My tips generally average around 30% when given freely to those who have not irritated me. Yes, I do feel sympathy for those who are working for birdseed.

You never worked in the service industry did you? Tipping out a bartender or busser is not the same as "the house" taking your money. The bartender makes all your drinkins and sometimes will help run food or something for you. Bussers clean up your tables so you can have quicker turnover and more customers. Tipping them out is like a "thanks" for helping you make more money. NONE of that money is going to the business!!! Your employer cannot take any of your tips.

You are required to report your tipped wages to your employer so they can tax you correctly (or make up your min wage if you don't avg the state min). Usually what happens is you will take your tips home at the end of the night, and then receive a paycheck for $0-5 (if you're good) after taxes are withdrawn.

And I wont go into details as to why, but cash tips are always better for the server, if you can try to tip in cash, even on a bill paid with CC. It just is, trust me.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    What have you done for God lately? Where do we get the idea that God is some sort of celestial vending machine, up there to do for us. What he HAS done is provided a way to save your sorry butt and bring you back where you belong.

or he'll kill us all again?

You never worked in the service industry did you? Tipping out a bartender or busser is not the same as "the house" taking your money. The bartender makes all your drinkins and sometimes will help run food or something for you. Bussers clean up your tables so you can have quicker turnover and more customers. Tipping them out is like a "thanks" for helping you make more money. NONE of that money is going to the business!!! Your employer cannot take any of your tips.

You are required to report your tipped wages to your employer so they can tax you correctly (or make up your min wage if you don't avg the state min). Usually what happens is you will take your tips home at the end of the night, and then receive a paycheck for $0-5 (if you're good) after taxes are withdrawn.

And I wont go into details as to why, but cash tips are always better for the server, if you can try to tip in cash, even on a bill paid with CC. It just is, trust me.

i agree however i always prefer to tip cash even if i charge my cc. sometimes, maybe always, tips reported on a cc bill have to get claimed so they are taxed. tips in cash dont themselves, most of the time the person just gets a certain amount allocated to them at the end of the year.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is a stupid story that got more coverage than it deserves....which is none.

I tip 20%....as an aside, my colleagues and I were at a watering hole last night and the conversation turned to women and tipping. In this case it seems much ado about nothing, but it seems like groups of women seem to be overly concerned with not tipping too much, sometimes making Canadians look generous in comparison.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    First, I usually tip 20%, because the math is easier. :D

Unless the service doesn't deserve it, then 10% (or even less, but that usually is better served by talking to the manager).

As for 10% to your Church...... nothing says that is the maximum. If you feel your church deserves more than your wait staff, then knock yourself out. Don't punish the wait staff simply because your God demands LESS (percentage-wise) of you.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Meh...I was a server for a few years as a youngster and I still won't tip over 15% voluntarily. Where did this 18-20% come from? Is it a recent COL increase standard?

Que, I completely disagree with your statement about going to Mcdonalds if you can't afford to tip. That is ludicrous. (again, I was a server making $2.13 for a few years myself.) Its not the patrons job to worry about the wage contract between the employer and employee. It is the patrons job to worry about their own finances though and Im fairly certain there isn't a law on tipping yet.

If a place I go to adds gratuity automatically (without being a large party) I will not tip a dime more because of it. If the service is sub-par I will have the manager deduct the gratuity. When I waited tables I took my job seriously and I always felt that the world of bad/no tips always managed to work itself out if you were a good waiter. This world of automatic gratuity seems to have ruined that thought for many.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If they do the automatic addition, I don't tip. I don't like people giving others my money without my express permission. It's like taxation without representation or something ;)

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    If they do the automatic addition, I don't tip. I don't like people giving others my money without my express permission. It's like taxation without representation or something ;)

If it says so at the door or on the menu, I think it's fair. I accepted that condition when I ordered. Otherwise, I agree with you.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    We always tip in cash.

My husband had a learning experience a number of years ago. He paid the bill with a credit card and neglected to write in 0 on the credit card receipt. When the credit card bill came the next month a hefty tip had been added after he had signed the receipt. We had our copy of the bill and were able to get the whole thing sorted out, but LESSON LEARNED.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We always tip in cash.

My husband had a learning experience a number of years ago. He paid the bill with a credit card and neglected to write in 0 on the credit card receipt. When the credit card bill came the next month a hefty tip had been added after he had signed the receipt. We had our copy of the bill and were able to get the whole thing sorted out, but LESSON LEARNED.

Yep. I tend to tip in cash, draw a line through the tip "box" on the credit card receipt, then write in the correct total. Started do that after the same experience you describe.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I won't comment on tipping as that's a personal thing that's really complex, but I will say this:

You don't "give God" 10%. You keep 90% of what wasn't yours to begin with-- at least if you claim to believe in the Bible.

So that comparison of giving something to God and giving something to a waiter is pretty absurd. God is not a charity.

No, the question is: how will you steward the money God has entrusted you with? Will you steal from him the 10% that you have no claim to?

It's a matter of perspective...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Well maybe because God isn't trying to live on the crap wages that most Wait Staff receive. :dunno:

While this may be true, i've never met a waiter/waitress or anyone that works for tips, claim those tips and pay taxes on em. Not saying none do, i've just yet to meet someone that will pay taxes on tips made

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    In a world of instant communication, why would anyone do something like this if they didn't intend to back it up?

If you have a beef with auto gratuity, then take it up with the manager, not the wait staff.

Sorry, but I think the "pastor" was 100% in the wrong here.

I also disagree with auto gratuity. I just don't feel the need to be an ass about it.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

Save me from what?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    NO MORE RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION!

Let's get back on topic and stop the religious discussion. We still haven't reached the level of maturity necessary to discuss this topic without pot shots, insults, and offense.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom