Why Should I Tip You 18%, When I Only Give God 10%?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Another thing is that usually the "automatic gratuity" is not entirely given to the wait/service staff. The house keeps a large portion of it, and expects that the diners will tip the staff separately.

False. It is in fact illegal for the business to accept any income designated gratuity as revenue. Servers may be required to tip out other employees with tip-based wages, i.e. bartenders/bussers, but it has to be on established and consistent percentage based scale.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I think they both seem like dip****s. The waitress is a hypocrite too, the tip was paid and then maybe some extra according to the customer.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I think this story has legs because people abhor hypocrites and people tend to react when they find a supposed Christian acting with hypocracy.
    AS WELL THEY SHOULD.
    I know this guy, who never condemned cheaters, liars, prostitutes but had the harshest words for the hypocrite.

Ah, the 7 woes (Matthew, 6 woes in Luke IIRC) which is a great reference to the dangers of hypocrisy of the Pharisees teachings and preaching as well as their hearts. Since we don't know her heart and she wasn't teaching or preaching, I'm not seeing her hypocrisy.

I had some other stuff I typed out but realized it would fall too far from the forum rules.

Bottom line, ministers are people too, full of fail just like us. We all have the same standard to live by. I do not see this as hypocritical. I am finding judgmental tho.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Another thing is that usually the "automatic gratuity" is not entirely given to the wait/service staff. The house keeps a large portion of it, and expects that the diners will tip the staff separately.

False. It is in fact illegal for the business to accept any income designated gratuity as revenue. Servers may be required to tip out other employees with tip-based wages, i.e. bartenders/bussers, but it has to be on established and consistent percentage based scale.

However you may wish to package the verbiage, the house is taking and reapportioning the tip money. As far as I am concerned, the same law should be applied here that is applied to the fuel surcharge money in trucking. By law, that goes to whoever pays for the fuel. In tips, the tip should go to the person to whom it was given. If the restaurant wants to have other employees, it should pay them.

As for the immediate issue, forced tips infuriate me to no end, and when confronted with them, I will not pay a penny more. My tips generally average around 30% when given freely to those who have not irritated me. Yes, I do feel sympathy for those who are working for birdseed.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    What am I missing here?

The woman paid her bill including the 18% gratuity but was displeased about having to do so and voiced it. I'm failing to find the hypocrisy here. Is it hypocrisy because she's a minister? Why? Are ministers held to a higher standard? Isn't that the same bs the left does to the conservative right?

Heck, she even goes on the tube and apologies. She's better than me because I wouldn't have apologized. It's childish to bring your grievances to YouTube.

If this was a sales rep who said, "why am I paying 18% when I think 10% is more appropriate?" this is a non-issue.
    Comparing the percentage paid to your Church to the percentage payed for table service in a restaurant shows typical Liberal faulty reasoning.
    I doubt if a Server would complain if the Pastor tipped her 10% of her total income every week like she (allegedly) pays to God every Sunday.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    What am I missing here?

The woman paid her bill including the 18% gratuity but was displeased about having to do so and voiced it. I'm failing to find the hypocrisy here. Is it hypocrisy because she's a minister? Why? Are ministers held to a higher standard? Isn't that the same bs the left does to the conservative right?

Heck, she even goes on the tube and apologies. She's better than me because I wouldn't have apologized. It's childish to bring your grievances to YouTube.

If this was a sales rep who said, "why am I paying 18% when I think 10% is more appropriate?" this is a non-issue.

I agree that the waitress should never have published her grievances on YouTube (or Twitter, or FB, or even her own blog).... as it makes her look like a fool. Sharing her opinion of the so-called pastor with fellow servers would be different, altho still not a good idea.

Like UncleMike said tho, it's comparing apples to oranges. So the pastor was using faulty logic and reasoning..... and just being a real cheapskate, IMHO.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I agree that the waitress should never have published her grievances on YouTube (or Twitter, or FB, or even her own blog).... as it makes her look like a fool. Sharing her opinion of the so-called pastor with fellow servers would be different, altho still not a good idea.

Like UncleMike said tho, it's comparing apples to oranges. So the pastor was using faulty logic and reasoning..... and just being a real cheapskate, IMHO.

The "pastor" left an additional $6 dollars on the table , so how does that make her a "cheapskate".

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Wait a second.

According to the customer:

The woman paid her bill including the 18% gratuity

And then also:

the tip was paid and then maybe some extra according to the customer.

So if I'm reading this correctly, not only was the bill paid, the 18% gratuity charged on the card, cash was left BY THE CUSTOMER, plus the OTHER members at the table as well.

AND... the waitress who had that table wasn't even the one who photographed the receipt and ran to the internet.

Sorry. Non-story.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    The "pastor" left an additional $6 dollars on the table , so how does that make her a "cheapskate".
    that's what I am not getting here. She left the tip in CASH on the table, which most servers will tell you, is better for their income to have it in cash.
    The server still charged the CC the $6.. so instead of the 18% gratuity of $6, she now has a 36% tip of $12...

The comments I won't pick a side on... but the pastor was not cheap

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    that's what I am not getting here. She left the tip in CASH on the table, which most servers will tell you, is better for their income to have it in cash.
    The server still charged the CC the $6.. so instead of the 18% gratuity of $6, she now has a 36% tip of $12...

The comments I won't pick a side on... but the pastor was not cheap

Exactly, that ^. Plus (according to the story), the OTHER people at the table ponied up cash as well.

I'm just :n00b: about the whole "cheap" comment.
    Nope...I'm thinkin' this had something to do with the God comment aspect.
    If she'd written ANYthing else, I do not believe it would have gone down like this.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If I have my soda/tea filled when I want it and server is nice, they get a good
    tip. I think percentage is stupid though...if I get an $8.00 salad and spend 2
    hours there drinking sodas, do they deserve $1.44 (18%)? They obviously deserve
    a lot more.

If my bill is less than $10.00, I will usually leave at least $2.00 - $3.00 depending on the service.

Also, there has been a few times in the last couple weeks regarding comments on someone's dining receipt. Very easy these days to express one's dissatisfaction to the world. WHO CARES???

SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    My wife verifies that I leave at least 18-20% every single time. Unless the waiter pours a pitcher of Coke on us it's pretty much our rule to leave this much.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is rediculous. She was only fired after the pastor who started it complained to Applebees. Pastor Alois Bell is nothing but a hypocrite.

A patron has the right to complain about anything. A person who chooses to work in the service industry should understand the old adage "the customer is always right." I understand the "pastor" was not right. After all, what person of faith considers a tithe a tip to God for his service? My issue is that we are a country of anonymous-objectors and complainers. What about facing someone and telling them about your objection and talking or arguing it out?

I don't see anyone being in the right here, but it will certainly get news coverage.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I didn't even see this, so I wonder what's the problem with the patron's written complaint? If the tip was adequate, I guess the waitress who was not minding her own business didn't like the statement and now has her 10 minutes of fame.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    As a pastor, this infuriates me. I usually give around 20% if the service is decent. When people at my church make comments like that, I remind them the server didn't ask them for 15% of their paycheck!
    As my mom and dad taught me, "If you can't afford the tip, you can't afford the meal."

My pastor says he doesn't even ride in cars with people who don't pay their tithe or eat with people who do not provide an adequate tip. I don't believe the 18% tip has nothing to do with the service, but the servant's time. If they are bad, they get 18% and if they are good, they will receive abundantly more.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Here is my question... Why does it matter that the customer was a pastor? Does it matter? NO!

On a side note, I have been to one restaurant and my service was so bad, I wrote the number "0" in the tip line, as our server was too busy trying to score with the guy that was in the booth behind ours, and at one point, I walked up to refill my wife and I's drinks as she sat there in the next booth.

I tip accordingly, and if you are a **** waitress/waiter, I will pay you just that.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I didn't even see this, so I wonder what's the problem with the patron's written complaint? If the tip was adequate, I guess the waitress who was not minding her own business didn't like the statement and now has her 10 minutes of fame.

Saw the lady on TV this morning. She admitted she was wrong in writing that on the recipt.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom