• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    First, the only reason to vote for Trump is that you think he'll do a better job as president than any of the other candidates.

His apparent disregard for political correctness coupled with the level of panic felt by the establishment at the proposition of him winning are enough for me. I'm not prepared to go along with more of the same. We aren't electing a king and none of the candidates gets to change everything overnight but if he can at least slow the bleeding a bit it's a step in the right direction.

Second, though, what has he actually said - consistently and reliably - that makes you think he'll be a step in the right direction?

fatback mike

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    I want to vote for the "non-political insider" but I just don't trust someone who tells me everything I want to hear

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I'm starting to believe, honestly, that voting is a racket (at least on the federal level). Trump will go into the convention with the most delegates, probably. But if he doesn't get the nomination, voting would have been for not. All that will have been accomplished was the filling of political war chests for the anointed candidate.

This is without question a fact. Bernie Sanders wins Montana by 12% and walks away with 4 fewer delegates? I saw Joe Scarboro on MSNBC speaking to a DNC pary comitee member the other day discussing the Montana results and debating if the system was rigged. The talking point from the DNC is they followed the rules... that's it. They refused to elaborate beyond that.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    First, the only reason to vote for Trump is that you think he'll do a better job as president than any of the other candidates.

Second, though, what has he actually said - consistently and reliably - that makes you think he'll be a step in the right direction?

I've learned a few things in the last 30 years. One of the big lessons I've picked up on is that believing much of anything that falls out of the mouth of a politician, especially when they're running for office, is a fools errand. Washington DC is wrecked, damned near beyond repair, it's a runaway train hell bent on destruction. The fact that Trump absolutely terrifies the people who have been steering the train this direction for decades now sends a much stronger message than anything that actually comes out of his mouth. I've said before that I don't think Trump is what this country needs as a President but he is a far cry better than the more of the same candidates on both sides of the aisle running against him. I believe he has an interest in at least pulling the brake lever on the train, all of the others are lookin to chuck a few more shovels full of coal into the boiler.

I've rarely been let down by my ability to judge someone's character by watching them from a distance. Cruz makes my skin crawl and I don't believe much of anything coming out of his mouth. He may say things people want to hear but he does not instill confidence when he says them.

smcgee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2014
    Greenville
    You must have been asleep in December 2012 when there was a significant push for an AWB. Wonder which party was (far and away) the proponent of that?
    I purchased my AR15 on April 2, 2016
    still waiting on my credit check to come back on my Apache.

If anyone thinks Trump isn't receiving special interests backing and he will make it easier on the rich and his own kingdom is Rumpelstilskin asleep.
    wonder if any of these "coming to get my gun scare tactics" are by any politicians that have stock options in Colt, Browning ect ect?
    If the government wants are guns my AR15 won't stop lead in my drinking water or an Apache gunship anyway.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've learned a few things in the last 30 years. One of the big lessons I've picked up on is that believing much of anything that falls out of the mouth of a politician, especially when they're running for office, is a fools errand.

Understandable. But do you not think of Trump as a politician? Plus, I'm confident that you've met business people - particularly people in sales - who probably stretched the truth more than politicians.

Washington DC is wrecked, damned near beyond repair, it's a runaway train hell bent on destruction.

So, if you have something that is broken, who do you look for to fix it? Someone with experience or someone who has never fixed anything like what is broken?

The fact that Trump absolutely terrifies the people who have been steering the train this direction for decades now sends a much stronger message than anything that actually comes out of his mouth.

Putin scares people, too.

believe he has an interest in at least pulling the brake lever on the train, ...

I believe that you believe that, my question is why? Has he explained how, in ways that can be supported? That make sense?

There is no doubt he is promising great things - as politicians do. My problem is that the few times he has tried to explain the "how" it just doesn't add up.

He may say things people want to hear but he does not instill confidence when he says them.

Trump speaks with great confidence. He is certainly a confidence man.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    So, if you have something that is broken, who do you look for to fix it? Someone with experience or someone who has never fixed anything like what is broken?

Maybe the question you should be asking is, why would you entrust the repair to the same type of people that have broken it. Cruz is as much a part of our broken congressional system over the past few years as anyone. He never once attempted to fix anything. Everything he has done was for notoriety and self promotion.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You must have been asleep in December 2012 when there was a significant push for an AWB. Wonder which party was (far and away) the proponent of that?

Don't worry. Just because Obama and most elected Democrats openly support onerous gun control measures including a so-called "assault weapon" ban and tried to enact them into law, since they didn't have the political power to get it done (due to some freedom loving Democrats and Republicans) it means that Obama never tried to get these new gun control laws passed. If he isn't successful, it never happened. That's the only explanation I have for this nonsense.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This is without question a fact. Bernie Sanders wins Montana by 12% and walks away with 4 fewer delegates? I saw Joe Scarboro on MSNBC speaking to a DNC pary comitee member the other day discussing the Montana results and debating if the system was rigged. The talking point from the DNC is they followed the rules... that's it. They refused to elaborate beyond that.

Huh? Montana hasn't had their primary yet. It's in June.
    Montana Primary Results 2016 - The New York Times

It is quite possible that it did happen in another state, and if so it's quite easily explained. I'll use LA for an example, there are two different sets of delegates from LA going to the national convention. District and state, Trump won the state and received a higher number of delegates at the state level, Cruz won a higher number of delegates at the district level. They ended up with the same number of delegates going to the national convention even though Trump won the "state" with a % of the votes. The Dems also have a higher number of unbound or super delegates who can vote for whoever they want at the first vote of the convention, while they are unbound they can express a preference for a candidate and those that do get counted as being for that candidate.

Exactly, I'm not sure what part of natural born some people do not seem to understand.

You know I wonder that myself. Natural born citizen, is a citizen at birth, as in not a naturalized citizen. What definition do you use, and why?

Maybe the question you should be asking is, why would you entrust the repair to the same type of people that have broken it. Cruz is as much a part of our broken congressional system over the past few years as anyone. He never once attempted to fix anything. Everything he has done was for notoriety and self promotion.

And Trump isn't part of the broken system with the money he has poured into campaigns and lobbying efforts to get the legislation that will help him?

Which Republican candidate best fits this description?

I have a name in mind. :D

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Understandable. But do you not think of Trump as a politician? Plus, I'm confident that you've met business people - particularly people in sales - who probably stretched the truth more than politicians.

I don't. Sure he knows how to play the game but he hasn't made a life out of it. I can choose not to do business with people who I do not believe are being honest. Of the available options I see Trump as having fewer reasons to lie than the others. He has a motivation to make positive change, the rest just want to further their careers.

I'm more than comfortable bringing someone in with a fresh perspective. Career politicians haven't made a positive change in this country in decades. Those with experience aren't going to do anything differently regardless of what they say. Someone who hasn't already sold their soul to DC can at least think objectively once in awhile.

Putin scares people, too.

Putin is a leader. Like his politics or not, he is a leader. Something this country is sorely lacking in these days.

I believe that you believe that, my question is why? Has he explained how, in ways that can be supported? That make sense?

There is no doubt he is promising great things - as politicians do. My problem is that the few times he has tried to explain the "how" it just doesn't add up.

I don't know. I haven't spent much time listening to what he has to say. Perhaps its time for some unconventional thinking in DC. I believe he wants to bring positive change to this country, I don't expect him to have a full on plan to fix everything that's jacked up. What I expect him to do is look at issues and make decisions which are good for the country, not special interest groups, not victims of our cruel society, for the country. We have been getting walked on by the rest of the planet for some time now and I believe he sees that quite clearly and is prepared to begin making changes to rememdy the situation. I have little concern for the rest of the world at this point, I'd prefer not to be in their rear view mirror which is exactly where we're going to be if things don't turn around.

Trump speaks with great confidence. He is certainly a confidence man.

So why should I vote for Cruze? I do not detect an ounce of sincerity in anything he says. He strikes me as no different than the evangelists on Sunday morning promising that if I send in $100 my children will all live to be 100 years old and have wealth beyond my dreams. He's made a career out of "serving" as a politician which places him squarely into the category with those who have put this country into the situation it is in. If Trump is nothing more than a broomstick tossed into the front spokes of the DC bicycle I'm all for it. Something needs to change.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have a few names in mind.

For which one BEST fits the description? Not if they fit the description but the one that best fits it. I only have one name in mind. With another being a close runner up. One is a R the other is a D.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have a few names in mind.

Do you think that there's anyone who would seriously run for President without any thoughts of self-promotion, self-aggrandizement, or without being a political insider of some sort? The only one that even comes close this time around is Ben Carson who I GUARANTEE is into self-promotion (every neurosurgeon believes that are the smartest, most talented thing on earth- and you want them to think that), but he did it in a quiet "aw shucks" manner.

Criticizing ANY candidate for trying to promote themselves and being self-focused DURING A CAMPAIGN seems to miss the truth that the nature of a campaign is asking people to: "Look at me, love me, vote for me." It is particularly odd to claim that this is a problem for Cruz as opposed to Trump who have been yelling: "LOOK AT ME" for 30 years, well before getting into politics (but not before schmoozing the candidates), and who has only increased the volume of his plea in the last few months.

If Trump is the candidate, I'll lie back and think of England and vote for him. However, given the Trump-Cruz choice, I think Cruz would make a better President...though I've never been a huge fan.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't like Trump. He's a blowhard and from what I've seen, a bully. He doesn't know how to work WITH people, he only knows how to make people work for him. Since there is no legal slavery in this country, though, and people can work elsewhere if they choose, what he knows how to do is to make people *want to* work for him. That is a skill that has been lacking in every national-office politician I've seen so far.

To better explain this, I'll point to Indiana State Rep Jim Lucas. I know Jim, which is to say I met him after he was in office, but I know that he started and continues to run a successful business. He sells a product and if that product doesn't meet expectations, he's held at least partially accountable for that by his customers.

Look at most politicians and tell me which of them have done that. Some, of course. Most, however, have been lawyers, or at least held the degree that allowed them to be such. What business has Hillary conducted? Oh yeah, Whitewater... hmmm... OK, How about Sanders? What's that, crickets? Cruz? Personally, I think he'd be the one of the four of them that would stick closest to the Constitution, which is to say that however far from it he actually operated, the others would be farther still. I don't believe he will get the nomination, though.

This leaves me with Trump. He's not the best person for the job, but let's be clear: One of those four people will be inaugurated in January of 2017. Given that, the fact that they are the four candidates, that Cruz won't be the GOP choice (of the people, that is) and that of the other three, one has views I cannot embrace in any way, shape, or form, and another is a RCH away from being indicted and tried for criminal acts possibly including any of several murders, I am left with but one choice.

He's not the best person for the job, but he's the best candidate we're going to get.

I think I'm going to start a business, selling clothespins sized for noses, so people can hold their noses and vote against the other candidates by pulling the "lever" with Trump's name on it, so to speak.

Blessings,
    Bill

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    For me, I think it's more about testing to see whether "we the people" still have the ability to choose our leaders. I think most of us have very little confidence that our voting makes much of any difference at all.

This election, rather than one of choosing the best representatives and leaders, seems to be about a fight of voters vs. politicians/media.

Some people are still focused on which politician will be best for the country. Trump supporters seem to be more focused on rejecting the politicians and media overall.

Top Bottom