• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    AR rifles are fantastic, but overated. Much like a .45acp pistol I wont mention. I read something about Soviet armored troops sleeping in thier vehicles for fear of Afghan Muj shooting at them with Enfield .303s . What im getting at is that the best rifle is the one your comfortable with and shoot well with.

Overrated? I'd say the AR is underrated if anything. You can read all sorts of crap about the 5.56x45 being an underpowered cartridge unsuitable for killing small vermin. I've read guys claim that a 5.56x45 would not penetrate a standard car windshield. It's difficult to compare a bolt-action rifle that has an internal 5 round magazine to an AR. That's not to say that the Enfield can't serve a purpose, or would not be deadly in the hands of the right shooter, but the two rifles serve a different purpose in a modern combat scenario.

Back on subject, Why wouldn't you want an AR? Unless you're partial to another comparable semi-auto with detachable mags.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    when you ask that you should reword it into rifles in general you cant hunt in Indiana with a rifle

but the good is:
    Home Defense - A 223 rifle is very good (compared to other rifles) in the right loading you wont have a big issue of over penetration if you hit handguns in general are all underpowered compared to any long gun and a handgun is good enough to get you to your long gun and handguns are alot less accurate than rifle especially if your shooting fast

sporting:
    they are simply fun to shoot whether its for fun or competition

anti gun groups:
    they hate them and that makes me smile

there are millions of types of rifles in this world its just a personal preference

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Overrated? I'd say the AR is underrated if anything. You can read all sorts of crap about the 5.56x45 being an underpowered cartridge unsuitable for killing small vermin. I've read guys claim that a 5.56x45 would not penetrate a standard car windshield. It's difficult to compare a bolt-action rifle that has an internal 5 round magazine to an AR. That's not to say that the Enfield can't serve a purpose, or would not be deadly in the hands of the right shooter, but the two rifles serve a different purpose in a modern combat scenario.

Back on subject, Why wouldn't you want an AR? Unless you're partial to another comparable semi-auto with detachable mags.

Actually the Enfield has a detachable 10rnd magazine and I made no comparison of that rifle and an AR. The story I mentioned was about confident, competent riflemen scaring the pi$$ out of a super power. (For the record) I own an AR, but yes I am partial to another. I've actually had more of these than any other EBR. Do you own one???????

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    The only reason I own ANY of my rifles is because they, as inanimate objects, are generally feared and hated. I guess I can be categorized with the post Obama panic buyers except most were purchased prior. However my reason for having them is the same.

Having grown up very much against guns, purchasing my first ebr was almost upsetting in that I bought it because I thought it was neat but I felt uneasy and wondered if I was becoming one of "them" I got over it and have learned to love that system. Its no different than a very expensive Lego set. Can do anything with it and when you've exhausted possible mods, you learnhow tobuild one and youstart from scratch.

I don't hunt, I don't even go to the range as much as I would like. But, I like to tinker and the AR system gives me that opportunity with little risk of error as opposed to my other interests. For the most part its all drop-in, bolt-on.

But like I said at first, my main reason is they look cool and antis hate them. Reason enough for me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    It is what my muscle memory knows the best. I can train my family to use it. It is wife friendly. I do not live in a sand box.

It is only wise to choose the weapon you are the most effective with. And yes, it sleeps next to my bed every night. It is difficult to effectively thump an intruder in the head with the muzzle of a glock.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own an M4 and an AK. My AK is my MBR, and it's accurate enough for me. I love my M4, but it's a range gun. I like that it is a bit more accurate then the AK, and it's a blast to shoot. If something happens to my AK, I then have a back up rifle. I may get a different upper with 20" barrel later on. That way I can have one upper for iron sights, and one for a scope.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I completely agree with this question "why own an AR". I have always wanted one but almost from the moment I got my first AR home, I started thinking "Why own an AR" - "I need another one". So now I have TWO. An LE6920 and a preban A2.

The answer to your question of "why own an AR" should be that "I am still saving up to get another".

AR's are totally cool, fun to shoot and fun to accessorize. If it's ever needed you will say "Thank God I am not just shopping for one of these right now".

Last edited:

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    OneBadV8 already stole my answer... but since he did, I'll try and come up with another one.

Every American productive citizen should own at least one of the following:

Pump Action Shotgun (your choice, but really your choice is only an 870 or a 500/590).

Combat Handgun (G19/17... kaboom, lulz; 1911; S&W M&P, etc.) :D

Owning a g19 & a mossberg 500a,I now feel 10% more productive....

rmoore911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    SE Indy
    haven't found a reason for me to buy one yet. . .outside of being relatively lite to carry, i just like AKs and other battle rifles better myself. . .now if I could find an affordle .308 AR style rifle, i might reconsider, but the cost increase between the .233/5.56 versus the .308 is too great for me to justify the purchase

jordyman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    Spencer
    Im not a fan, I think for half I can own an AK for the same purpose and not have to worry about ammo jams and the batteries on my 15 attachments going dead in the situation that I might actually need it. I just think its been flawed since it came out, they are a blast to shoot, but Ive seen too many times they crap out and it leaves me unimpressed.

swoobie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2011
    Im not a fan, I think for half I can own an AK for the same purpose and not have to worry about ammo jams and the batteries on my 15 attachments going dead in the situation that I might actually need it. I just think its been flawed since it came out, they are a blast to shoot, but Ive seen too many times they crap out and it leaves me unimpressed.

Haven't had any problems with jams... Haven't seen many AKs that can hit a paper plate consistently at 100 yards...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Haven't seen many AKs that can hit a paper plate consistently at 100 yards...

I have an M4 and love it. However, not all AK's are created equal, just like not all AR's are created equal. I have not tried so at 100 yards, but I know I'm just as accurate at 50 yards with my AK, as I'm with my M4. Most people do not even know how to properly site an AK in. Hell, I have seen a lot of people that can not even do so with an AR. Now, for distances past 100 yards, I would rather have my M4 or bolt action.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom