• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's keeping you away from Appleseed?

• Total voters

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK, so for those of you who have not yet attended a full Appleseed, I'm curious to know why not.

There will be a poll on this thread momentarily, but if you have multiple answers or if the answer you would give is "other", please post a note and explain. We want the program to reach as many people as possible. If we're not reaching you, it would help to know why.

Thanks for your help and as always,

Blessings,
    Bill

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've been to an Appleseed! I'd go again in a second, except I don't play well in the heat. I've also been super-busy all summer. I have tentative plans to go again in the fall and possibly winter.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Mar 21, 2008
    Don't let lack of a rifle stop you. The Appleseed organizers will hook you up with a loaner if you let them know in advance. Just get to an event!

Brown

Sharpshooter
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I just signed up for an Appleseed in Clinton IL and taking my father for a birthday suprise and my son to make it a 3 generation event! really excited! this will be a first one for all 3 of us.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Aug 15, 2008
    I went to one on a Saturday. Don't know if it was a "full" one or not. Frankly, it was pretty basic. Fun, but basic. Nice folks. I went primarily so my daughter could have the experience. And yeah, it was HOT. My family isn't available for such activities on Sundays.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Sep 3, 2009
    Just got a rifle, I want to attend but I'm disabled and can't really get down on the ground, I want to do a mini first because I don't think I could do 2 days right now

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just got a rifle, I want to attend but I'm disabled and can't really get down on the ground, I want to do a mini first because I don't think I could do 2 days right now

The organizers have a habit of bending over backwards to accommodate any special needs anyone has. If you can't get on the ground, don't let that stop you from attending! They just want you out there.

indyjoe

Master
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

You also might want to come out to a mini-appleseed if they have any more of those, just a little west of Indy. That was about 4 hours and covers much of what an Appleseed is, but in a smaller group that can allow a little more personal attention.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Jan 15, 2010
    It seems kind of basic to me....just letting you know why I have not been to one.

If Im wrong, let me know and I will sign up for one.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The first one near me, I didn't know was happening until it was 3/4 over.
    The second one, I knew about...but was out of town the first day and even though it's OK to jump in for the second, I felt like if I did an AS I should do it from start to finish.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Sep 3, 2009
    You also might want to come out to a mini-appleseed if they have any more of those, just a little west of Indy. That was about 4 hours and covers much of what an Appleseed is, but in a smaller group that can allow a little more personal attention.

I wanted to go to the one at MCFG but that weekend was bad for me, once school starts and I have my kids on a regular schedule I hope to get to a mini

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2008
    amongst other things... I don't yet own a complete rifle with which to shoot in an Appleseed.

-J-

indyjoe

Master
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    It seems kind of basic to me....just letting you know why I have not been to one.

If Im wrong, let me know and I will sign up for one.

If you can lay down on the ground and make head shots with iron sights at 500 yards, then it might be basic for you. I learned a great deal at the two I attended.

It is the basics of rifle shooting. The problem is that not many people teach the basics. Just like Pro Football camp starts out with the basics. If that isn't down, you can never progress.

If you told me I could shoot 5 shots all inside a 1" square at 25 meters with iron sights before an Appleseed, I would have called you a liar. Go out and try it. Not with a scope. With iron sights. Try it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom