• ...and so much more!
  • Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    NRA members

They are million and 1 as of this week. A buddy at work is a long time member and helped me sign up. Just getting more and more frustrated about the state of things. I want some person or group with clout (sp) lobbying for me. Maybe I am thinking this really matters.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What The NRA's Wayne Lapierre Gets Paid To Defend Guns - Forbes

If you’re a transparency fan like me, you appreciate knowing what kind of skin public people have in the game during episodes like this. So what did the NRA pay Lapierre to say that the best way to stop school shootings is to have the government put every mentally ill person in the nation on a watch list and arm school personnel to defend schools like banks?

Just under a million bucks.

That’s according to the most recent NRA filings with the IRS.

The numbers are a bit out of date. The last filing of a Form 990 from the NRA was in 2010. Still, if you’re interested in the numbers behind America’s most powerful gun lobby, it makes for interesting reading.

The organization’s mission is simply stated, right at the top: “To protect and defend the U.S. Constitution.” To accomplish this, in 2010 the NRA reported that it had 781 full time employees, 125,000 volunteers and generated revenues of $227.8 million.

Where does all that come from? In 2010, $71 million came from contributions and grants, $100 million from membership fees and $46 million from other revenue sources, like ad sales ($20 million) royalties, rents and subscriptions.

In 2010 that wasn’t enough to cover expenses. In total, they spent $243.5 million, leaving a $15 million shortfall, at least that year, which was cushioned by assets of $37.5 million.

Where did all the money go? About $33 million went to salaries and wages (not including the top brass), $28 million went to advertising and promotions. By far the biggest items were membership outreach: $57 million for membership communications, $24 million for printing and shipping, $16 million for educational programs. Just about $10 million went to the NRA’s lobbying arm, the Institute for Legislative Action.

More than $12.7 million went to Akron-Ohio based InfoCision, a huge telemarketing company that lists a broad spectrum of blue chip non-profits as clients– including Smile Train, the American Diabetes Association, Easter Seals and Unicef—as well as the College Republican National Committee and companies like Time Warner and AT&T.

As for salaries, fifty-six people in the organization earned more than $100,000 in 2010—and 10 made more than $250,000. Lapierre does not top the list. Kayne B. Robinson, the executive director of general operations does. He was paid just over $1 million. Lapierre was second, pulling in $970,000 in reportable and estimated comp.

Chris W. Cox, the executive director of the group’s lobbying efforts, was third. He earned just over $666,000.

-----------

Keep sending in those checks.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I don't join because they don't represent my interests anymore. Also, the way Wayne LaPierre has been handling interviews is disappointing at best.

I don't feel comfortable paying a large sum of money to have my interests underrepresented and compromised on. And I don't want to pay someone to see him fumble through interviews I could have done better myself.

If they changed their areas of focus to all gun owners and carry rights, and elected a new spokesman, I would probably join. Until then... I just see them as a blight with their hands out.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I've ways just thought of the NRA as a group that gives false hope to gun owners as it takes their money. They give the illusion of having the backs of the gun opening public while compromising the second amendment away. They really aren't doing anything different than any anti-gun group. They're just doing it at a slower pace.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I don't join because they don't represent my interests anymore. Also, the way Wayne LaPierre has been handling interviews is disappointing at best.

What interests do you wish them to represent?

I don't feel comfortable paying a large sum of money to have my interests underrepresented and compromised on. And I don't want to pay someone to see him fumble through interviews I could have done better myself.

Their standard membership dues is $30.00 which encludes the magazine. You can get a discounted membership by not getting the magazine.

Are you claiming $30.00 or whatever the discounted sum is, is a large sum of money to you?

REALLY?

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    What The NRA's Wayne Lapierre Gets Paid To Defend Guns - Forbes

If you’re a transparency fan like me, you appreciate knowing what kind of skin public people have in the game during episodes like this. So what did the NRA pay Lapierre to say that the best way to stop school shootings is to have the government put every mentally ill person in the nation on a watch list and arm school personnel to defend schools like banks?

Just under a million bucks.

That’s according to the most recent NRA filings with the IRS.

The numbers are a bit out of date. The last filing of a Form 990 from the NRA was in 2010. Still, if you’re interested in the numbers behind America’s most powerful gun lobby, it makes for interesting reading.

The organization’s mission is simply stated, right at the top: “To protect and defend the U.S. Constitution.” To accomplish this, in 2010 the NRA reported that it had 781 full time employees, 125,000 volunteers and generated revenues of $227.8 million.

Where does all that come from? In 2010, $71 million came from contributions and grants, $100 million from membership fees and $46 million from other revenue sources, like ad sales ($20 million) royalties, rents and subscriptions.

In 2010 that wasn’t enough to cover expenses. In total, they spent $243.5 million, leaving a $15 million shortfall, at least that year, which was cushioned by assets of $37.5 million.

Where did all the money go? About $33 million went to salaries and wages (not including the top brass), $28 million went to advertising and promotions. By far the biggest items were membership outreach: $57 million for membership communications, $24 million for printing and shipping, $16 million for educational programs. Just about $10 million went to the NRA’s lobbying arm, the Institute for Legislative Action.

More than $12.7 million went to Akron-Ohio based InfoCision, a huge telemarketing company that lists a broad spectrum of blue chip non-profits as clients– including Smile Train, the American Diabetes Association, Easter Seals and Unicef—as well as the College Republican National Committee and companies like Time Warner and AT&T.

As for salaries, fifty-six people in the organization earned more than $100,000 in 2010—and 10 made more than $250,000. Lapierre does not top the list. Kayne B. Robinson, the executive director of general operations does. He was paid just over $1 million. Lapierre was second, pulling in $970,000 in reportable and estimated comp.

Chris W. Cox, the executive director of the group’s lobbying efforts, was third. He earned just over $666,000.

-----------

Keep sending in those checks.

Would you rather they hire the homeless with no abilities at minimum wage, as if that will work well.

Good management costs bucks.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I am a member because the NRA, love them or hate them are the voice of gun owners in America. They are the strongest force for our side. I believe apathy is the reason the membership is not larger, the same reason we have such low voter turn out. People that I know, especially hunters don't think any legislation will ever really effect them. Sort of a not really my problem mindset.

Look at the last rally downtown. We had a good turn out but why didn't we have at least three times the numbers?

Apathy, it is becoming the American way. It's why we have a King and not a President.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

I've ways just thought of the NRA as a group that gives false hope to gun owners as it takes their money. They give the illusion of having the backs of the gun opening public while compromising the second amendment away. They really aren't doing anything different than any anti-gun group. They're just doing it at a slower pace.

I can only tell you, you've thought wrong.:(

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I am a member because the NRA, love them or hate them are the voice of gun owners in America. They are the strongest force for our side. I believe apathy is the reason the membership is not larger, the same reason we have such low voter turn out. People that I know, especially hunters don't think any legislation will ever really effect them. Sort of a not really my problem mindset.

Look at the last rally downtown. We had a good turn out but why didn't we have at least three times the numbers?

Apathy, it is becoming the American way. It's why we have a King and not a President.

Absolutly!! Pretty well says it all.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Would you rather they hire the homeless with no abilities at minimum wage, as if that will work well.

Of the nearly $230 million the NRA raised, $10 million went to lobbying. Over triple that went to salaries. Over 1/4 of that amount was spent on just 3 salaries. Keep sending those checks.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    So why is the political arena so afraid of the NRA then? Why do the anti-gun organizations protest the NRA so loudly. It's not all about money, it's about the clout the membership can wield.

So all you nonbelievers do nothing because you don't want to take a few bucks out of your pocket?

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Of the nearly $230 million the NRA raised, $10 million went to lobbying. Over triple that went to salaries. Over 1/4 of that amount was spent on just 3 salaries. Keep sending those checks.

I'll repeat myself, mayhap it'll sink in this time.

Ever see a successful company run by a bum?

They didn't get to where they are by hiring incompetent leaders.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'll repeat myself, mayhap it'll sink in this time.

Ever see a successful company run by a bum?

They didn't get to where they are by hiring incompetent leaders.

More than $12.7 million went to Akron-Ohio based InfoCision, a huge telemarketing company

They spent more on one telemarketing company than they did on lobbying. Keep sending those checks.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It usually doesn't occur to many people, because many are blinded by the light.:dunno:

Gentlemen, I will have to disagree with you. The NRA is important to gun rights. It is also important to the sports. Let me mention some other sevices that are available to NRA members that benefit the entire sport.

Here are some of the benefits which the NRA provides OTHER than Wayne arguing with the dirty politicians that directly steal thousands a year from each one here that pays taxes.

Sanctioning and standardization of competitions for rifle, pistol, and shotgun sports.

Posting and maintenance of the records. Awards, facilities and insurance to allow range use.

Training and public education, including range officer training, instructers for rifle, pistol and shotgun. Writing the curriculum for all the courses and maintaining certifications.

Doing all the legal work that keeps hunting allowed on public lands.

Legal help for those who are trying to exercise the right to build a shooting range

Engineering help for those who have legally won the battle to build a range, including EPA mandated compliancies.

Insurance brokerage for those who build and operate ranges.

Insurance brokerage for those individuals who want to insure their personal arms.

An automatic life insurance policy for the membership

Legal representation for those who have been illegally arrested relating to 2nd amendment rights.

A complete publishing division that not only prints NRA literature, but training manuals, rule books, hunting books, firearms repair books, legal books, history books, as well as the complete line of magazines that members elect to receive. Every one of these needs writers, photographers, editors, etc, just like the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition that you paid big money for.

The ILA division that fights bad laws in courts after they get voted on by congress or after some weird commie Judge puts his own perverted spin on it.

Every one of these departments has to be large enough to serve 4 MILLION members. How many people do you think that takes?

You can chose how to run your own house. If you are not leading, follow. If you are not leading or following, get out of the way. The battle is too great and the enemy is too strong to waste time with those who would block the efforts.

Not a one of us lunch box toting wage slaves can possibly influence a single national legislator, let alone repetedly go against the complete congress. We have a handful of fine lawyers on this site. If they all got together I doubt they could get an audience with the Senate. If they could, who is willing to write the checks to pay for it?

If the 96% of non participating gun owners would get on board, no one would need to prep, because anytime some chowerhead politician would attack the Constitution, those who protect the sencond amenment would end the guys political career.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Simple answer: Demographics

8514033029_925f422fc3_o.gif

Tough answer: Gun community unable to permeate urban population/culture with positive gun culture and tradition at the same time that it is on the demographic decline.

Answer: Take a new shooter to the range at every opportunity. More than one. In groups. And all of them from the cities.

When that happens, the NRA's numbers will take care of themselves.

Top Bottom