• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    The NRA has about 5 million numbers. The number of gun owners in the country is many, many times greater than that. I was just wondering why most gun owners aren't members of the NRA.
    Do some gun owners disagree with the NRA's position on some issues?
    Are some gun owners too lazy to join?
    Have some not even heard of the NRA?

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    There a a lot of reasons.

Some people don't like the fact that the NRA has gone from being more information/safety oriented organization to being more of a political lobbying/campaign finance group.

Some followed President Bush in resigning their memberships when the NRA called the ATF "jackbooted thugs".

I'm sure for many people it's just a matter of financial priority. Become an NRA member or put food on the table.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Initial cost, once your on the list they keep asking for more money, More focus on representing hunters than firearm owners as a whole so willing to compromise on many issues related to carry, generally focused on the law making and not taking issues to court. GOA alternative does exist. # of firearms sold doesn't correlate to # of firearm owners as most people own more than one gun.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Many people got butthurt in recent decades by the NRA's actions or lack there of.

Somehow this makes it a valid excuse to not contribute to the only organization which has any real power to levy in the capital. That part of it, I don't understand.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If the NRA spent as much money on efforts to repeal unconstitutional laws as they did mailings, they might get somewhere.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Well, my father in law and one of my buddies refuse to be on ANY list. Not sure if that's the real reason or if they're just too cheap to pay the $35.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have family that will no longer be members because of the persistant mailings and phone calls (I've never gotten phone calls?). I tried to convince them to sign up again during this current threat of bans and registrations and endure the monumental hassle of moving papers from the mailbox to the trashcan, but they wont. I almost gifted them memberships, but thought they might take offense to that...

I've not been a 100% fan of everything they've been or done (or not done like with Heller or when I was in MD fighting AWBs), but right now they and their membership numbers are representing a tide that congress cannot ignore... and I'm sure congress is taking note of the current increase in membership NRA is seeing.

-rvb

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    It's too bad we need this type of organization to protect our 2A rights. Personally, I looked past any differences I had with the NRA because they're in the best position to fight the anti-gun cowards who want to take away my rights for a false sense of security.

Now is the time to put up or shut up. I've encouraged all my friends and family to join the NRA or GOA. If we had as many members as gun owners, there would be no need for them to mail out solicitations for more support...when it's needed the most.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I can't believe how many people get butt hurt over NRA's mass mailings asking for money. They will stop if you ask.
    I am an Endowment Member and I have not gotten a mailing in over 15 years.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Well, my father in law and one of my buddies refuse to be on ANY list. Not sure if that's the real reason or if they're just too cheap to pay the $35.

That was my feeling until I started buying weapons again and was presented with that nice form we have to fill out every time we want to buy. Now, knowing my name is on a stack of forms relating to my purchasing firearms I figure WTH, they might as well find my name in the NRA files when those get hacked or somehow compromised.
    I communicate with my gubment reps but honestly don't believe my letters and calls, even combined with all the other individuals who do the same, make any difference in their decision making. I do believe the lobbying power of the NRA$ of the universe make ALL the difference. Dr. Ben Carson recently spoke of the 4 (yes, he said 4) branches of government: Executive, Legislative, Judicial and $pecial Intere$t.:coffee:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have never gotten a call from the NRA. I do get frequent mailings from them which I am free to deposit directly into the trash - not a whole lot of trouble. I still say a lot of folks are simply too cheap to pony up the measly $35 for a single year membership and have a laundry list of excuses.

GOA is OK too (do something for cryin out loud) and I have a membership there as well but what I see is the NRA does most of the heavy lifting as far as our 2A rights are concerned. I have never been in 100% agreement with everything in the past that they have done or with what every Board of Director member has said. If I used total agreement as a yardstick I wouldn't belong to ANY organization or group or even my own family. ON BALANCE the NRA is still THE MAIN organization fighting for our rights. Right now they need support from as many firearms owners as possible to be able to be effective at that.

The Obama Dems will do ANYTHING that advances their Gun(people) Control agenda including dividing us into factions so they can whittle away our rights one by one. ALL firearms owners, hunters, target shooters, action shooters, preppers and moms and pops had better stay together on this issue or we will lose it all. The ANYTHING includes using PAID writers on internet forums and social networking sites and Netbots to flood congressional inboxes with anti-gun propaganda that looks like grass roots support.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Did it ever occur to any of you that the NRA is the sharpton/Jackson of gun rights? If they actually accomplished their mission, there'd be a lot of people out of high paying jobs.

Top Bottom