• ...and so much more!
  • 7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Umm, guys....I didn't mean blow the guys truck up. The way I heard it, and granted this was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth....if you put a ping pong ball into someone's gas tank, it floated and bobbed around. Since the gas in the tank isn't stationary, neither is the ball, so when they applied the breaks, the ball would float forward, stopping the flow of the gas to the engine, causing the car to stall out.

Once they finally got it to float backwards (still not knowing it was in there) the car would restart, and they'd drive off. This would happen every time the car came to a stop, and would frustrate the heck out of them.

When/if they finally figured out what was going on, they'd have to take it in to get the gas tank taken off to get the ping pong ball taken out, so it'd stop blocking the intake flow to the engine and let the car run normally. Scutter understands me! That's why he's a Mod!

Sheesh! I also heard (and I'm going to date myself again) that you can crack open an egg or three and put the insides down where you put the gas in, it would cook the eggs (or something like that) do something, making it not work right. I'm getting very confuzzled now!....I'm just going on VERY OLD memories of what kids used to do back in the dark ages when I was a kid.

Now, after saying that, I'm going to go take my Geratol and go to bed....something about "early to bed and early to rise...helps you get the early worm first? .....damn I feel old now! :fogey: Gezer...Not Young, Not Dead.....Somewhere in between.

You young whippersnappers hold down the fort while us "gezers" toddle off to bed. And don't do anything that would shame your mother! Or she'll tell your dad when he gets home, and he'll box your ears! (Now I KNOW I've got that one right.....right?)

Besides, if wishes were horses, frogs wouldn't bump their a**!

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Since the gas in the tank isn't stationary, neither is the ball, so when they applied the breaks, the ball would float forward, stopping the flow of the gas to the engine, causing the car to stall out.

I'm not an expert in engines, but wouldn't the fuel line be at the bottom of the tank?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've heard homemade thermite will burn right through an engine block. Anyone have a spare truck I could experiment on?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    They're not as good since they moved. Or is it just me?

The new location has much better access and seems to be getting
    more business but the downtown shop had more style.
    (dirt, atmosphere, what-have-you)
    Almost like you could taste the age or something. Or it could be just in my head.

You can get Lord Johns down at the Handlebar.
    Yogi's also sells them or their equivalent.
    They have an unfriendly competition going back and forth.
    Handlebar claiming they have the original..... :dunno:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    big tractor and a tow strap......oooops sorry about removing your front (rear) bumper

LOL..... I pulled a buddy out who had his truck buried to the doors in a rut.
    Wouldn't move so I took a running start...... peeled the bumper like a sardine can. :laugh:

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm not an expert in engines, but wouldn't the fuel line be at the bottom of the tank?

I haven't got a clue! I'm lucky if I can remember which side of the car the cap is on so I pull into the pump right! Why would the hose be at the bottom, then the ball'd have to sink to work. That makes less sense than I do!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If that guy fesses up in here, this could go down as the most epic INGO thread of all time.

***Fingers crossed***

How so?

(And I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but what did you do with the real sepe?)

BTW, how does a ping pong ball ruin an engine in the first place? I ask because I'm wondering if the ping pong ball blocks the gas from flowing or if it's when the plastic dissolves and messes stuff up...I can certainly get a ping pong ball into the tank, it just won't be round after it's in there.:):

Filler neck wouldn't allow a ping pong ball. The way most modern systems work, you'd have to be running almost empty for the ping pong ball to block the pickup. The gas would maybe dissolve the ping pong balls and maybe clog some filters. If you squeezed on in a modern car, filters and injectors would get clogged. IF it actually passed into the engine, it would just burn.

The real sepe says to firebomb the guy's house when he is at work and his wife and kids are at home. That'll teach him to get a truck stuck and be inconsiderate enough to not let you know. No jury in the world would convict you...just let them know INGO was behind you.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Fuel pickup is in the bottom of the tank. A floating ping pong ball will not work. Its a wad of rubber bands that clogs the jets in carbs or fuel injectors. The rubber will deteriorate and cant fit through the small micron rating parts. With that said, don't do it. The guy has seriously messed up. Have him make it right. If any legal action needs to be taken, so be it. Either way, still sounds like he just needs to man up, call you, kiss some serious arse and make it as right as it possibly can be. A truck with fuel issues can cost thousands of dollars to repair, no sense in getting yourself into a potential liability.

I guess 2 wrongs don't make a right, but I don't entirely believe that, either. Enjoy that brandy buzz.

D'oh. Too slow on the keyboard. sepe beat me to it.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just read all 16 pages of this thread and still don't know who the bum is that did this. :xmad: And no pics! :xmad:
    ;)

To the OP, very sorry to hear about your bad experience. Too bad not everyone has common courtesy or common sense these days. Best of luck getting this resolved.

:popcorn:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom