Why is everyone's encounter with LEO's always bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I don't have a quota. And the process that leads to punishment may start with me (or any other LEO), but the final determination of what punishment "fits the crime" is up to the court.
    I would argue, in theory this is assuming the officer knows the laws well enough to be arresting you for an actual crime rather than an assumption that you have committed one. :dunno:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I don't have a quota. And the process that leads to punishment may start with me (or any other LEO), but the final determination of what punishment "fits the crime" is up to the court.

Look, I know you have this need to crusade for all the wrongs that befall those in your profession but give us a break. There are plenty of cops that revel in "punishing" people with their police powers. It doesn't have to be a majority to be a fact, I've seen it myself. Sometimes they throw in a few extra charges to your ticket that they can't back up in court.

Speaking of, how many people actually go to court and fight their tickets vs just send them in witht their tax check, happily accepting extra points on their license, extra cost for insurance or to have the ticket removed from your record without a fight? And how many LEOs cry and whine when they have to go to court over a $20 ticket? That IS the process we all have a right to correct?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wow I feel left out. I have had a LTCH or equivalent for nearly 20 years. Never had a bad LEO interaction. In fact the only time I have ever been asked for my license was by a conservation officer at a public shooting range. I suppose that could have been a bad interaction. Went something like this:

Him: The range is closed at 5pm
    Me: Sorry I must have lost track of time (5:05 pm)
    Him: You are not supposed to shoot anything other then paper targets at this range. Is that your spinning rimfire target stuck in the ground.
    Me: Yes. I apoligize. Why can't I shoot that little spinning target.
    Him: Because people leave their trash laying around the range. (referring to the idiots shooting old TVs and such.)
    Me: OK so you don't want us leaving any garbage at the range
    Him: That right
    Me: So shouldn't you encourage people to bring targets such as this so that they will pick them up when the leave. Then there won't even be old paper or cardboard in the trash can.
    Him: :n00b:

Otherwise the few times that I have been pulled over or involved or in a fender bender the interaction went something like this:

Me: Good morning/evening (hands at 10 & 2, dome light on, window down, I hand them my pink and DL)
    Them: No comment, NADA, business as usual. Been in the city, in the country, even on a college campus.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Look, I know you have this need to crusade for all the wrongs that befall those in your profession but give us a break. There are plenty of cops that revel in "punishing" people with their police powers. It doesn't have to be a majority to be a fact, I've seen it myself. Sometimes they throw in a few extra charges to your ticket that they can't back up in court.

Just like there are LTCH holders and "honest" gun owners that have shot cops. It is not a majority but it is fact, and I have seen it myself. If there wasn't such a problem with authority and a need to make generalizations about the police by certain members of this site, I wouldn't feel the need to "crusade."

Speaking of, how many people actually go to court and fight their tickets vs just send them in witht their tax check, happily accepting extra points on their license, extra cost for insurance or to have the ticket removed from your record without a fight? And how many LEOs cry and whine when they have to go to court over a $20 ticket? That IS the process we all have a right to correct?

I don't know what the percentages are as to how many fight vs. how many pay, but I would guess its 10% or less that fight the tickets. I don't know why that is because it is a right of a person to confront their accuser and dispute the charges against them.

I also don't know the percentage of LEOs that "cry and whine" when they have to go to traffic court. Sure some don't like it, but that is usually solved by not issuing tickets.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Just like there are LTCH holders and "honest" gun owners that have shot cops. It is not a majority but it is fact, and I have seen it myself. If there wasn't such a problem with authority and a need to make generalizations about the police by certain members of this site, I wouldn't feel the need to "crusade."

I don't know what the percentages are as to how many fight vs. how many pay, but I would guess its 10% or less that fight the tickets. I don't know why that is because it is a right of a person to confront their accuser and dispute the charges against them.

I also don't know the percentage of LEOs that "cry and whine" when they have to go to traffic court. Sure some don't like it, but that is usually solved by not issuing tickets.

Fair enough but I wish you didn't feel the need to "crusade" because IMO it makes some of your very worthwhile and helpful comments get lost in the mix. I try to not make generalizations and hold my prejudices for simply covering my own ass just in case I DO come across a JBT... Again. If a LEO does his job and gives me respect while he is doing it he will get it in return.

And I agree with the second part completely.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

What is punishment? Some will say that placing handcuffs on a person is "punishment" in their eyes. Sending them to jail could be viewed as punishment. In Indy, my sending them to jail may be the only punishment a criminal will ever get since the courts don't like to give time to serve but rather time served and probation. Why would we want to throw made up charges on a ticket that we cannot defend? While I don't "revel" in it, I take solace in knowing that the person I arrested will be there for quite some time, I am using my police powers legally but it is a form of punishment. Sometimes they deserve it.

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    I have never honestly had a bad experience with a LEO. Every interaction with a LEO for me was because I did something stupid.

Bad News travels further and faster than Good news ever will. :twocents:

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I've only been carrying for a couple of years, and I usually CC, but on those rare occasions when I've made it known to a LEO that I was carrying, they didn't ask to see ID, LTCH or anything. They were always very friendly and casual about it.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    What is punishment? Some will say that placing handcuffs on a person is "punishment" in their eyes. Sending them to jail could be viewed as punishment. In Indy, my sending them to jail may be the only punishment a criminal will ever get since the courts don't like to give time to serve but rather time served and probation. Why would we want to throw made up charges on a ticket that we cannot defend? While I don't "revel" in it, I take solace in knowing that the person I arrested will be there for quite some time, I am using my police powers legally but it is a form of punishment. Sometimes they deserve it.

I would take that as a form of punishment sure. That's my point, that police DO and CAN punish people. It was in a response to someone saying police don't punish, the courts do.

And yes! Of course people need it, and the vast majority of the time the police do a great job of getting the right people, but sometimes they don't or they try to make a point to someone regardless. The example of lying on a ticket and not coming to court to defend the charge is an example that happened to me last summer.

In the spirit of this thread I feel the need to post a non-event LEO encounter that just happened. I was in Subway getting dinner for us tonight and there was an EPD officer getting his dinner as well. As soon as I came in he left without anything so I wondered if there was yet ANOTHER robbery at a Subway in Evansville (5 since April) but the guy behind the counter said there wasn't a problem. The officer returned to get his food and chat with a guy behind the counter before sitting down to eat. Never said a word to me. I was CCing with my Team INGO shirt on.

So, :+1: for not harassing me ;)

And :+1: for being at a Subway since they have had so many issues lately and actually protecting and serving the community regardless of what the SCOTUS says.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I've only had TWO LEO encounters regarding my firearm. One was absolutely NOT positive. The other wasn't necessarily "good", but it wasn't really too bad either (at least when comparing it to the other). Cop came up behind me, unannounced and placed their hand on my weapon. Other than that they were friendly though.

Aside from that, I've had no firearms related run ins with LEO's.

Dang! I think I would have clamped my hand down on my firearm and turned and done something before noticing it was LEO.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Never had a negative with LEO....

My most positive one was while I was sitting at a rendezvous point, which was a bank parking lot @ 4 am, blacked out.

LEO pulled up behind me, asked my business, wanted to see my drivers license, I mentioned I had to open my center console to get my wallet and that my weapon was also in there. He said just go ahead and grab my ID. I offered him the LTCH, he just said not necessary....

it was a ST. JOHN officer BTW.....

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Two interactions here.
    One was years ago when I worked uniformed, armed security at a night club on Western Avenue in South Bend. One Saturday evening after yet ANOTHER fight in the street/sidewalk area (that I had mostly broken up before the cops arrived), several LEOs were standing around with me on the sidewalk. One of guys asks to see my license. I'm thinking 'Dude, you've seen me out here for months and talked to me before'. Handed over my license-he looked at it and gave it back. The other Leos kept talking around us.
    The other one was a Taco Bell and involved in Mishawaka Leo. My son and were in line behind an officer that I knew. He definitely saw that I was carrying; he just smiled and nodded his head and look his tray and sat down (with his family).

Top Bottom