Why is everyone's encounter with LEO's always bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    For the same reason that I always feel sick when I see the doctor. We tend to only see them when "needed" (like when we are sick, or get pulled over). Its not like LE randomly walks up to folks to just say "Hello".

That said, I suppose I had several dozen "good" encounters last week. Went to the Night Out Against Crime and carried OC. Pretty much the entire local police force was there. Talked to a few, and walked by the rest. No issues.

As a matter of fact, I haven't had a negative encounter with law enforcement in forever. Haven't had a speeding ticket in decades. Was involved in a collision a few years ago, and the two responding guys did a great job. I've never once been asked for my LTCH. Being a "law abiding" citizen has its upside, I guess.

Dr Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Never had a bad encounter with LEO re: guns
    1 positive with Highland PD, I informed I was carrying ( wouldn't do voluntarily now ) and was a non issue.

Did have a bad encounter with Georgia Police about a plate cover, told it was a felony and could be arrested for concealing the identity of a vehicle.
    Took it off and he ONLY wrote me for a plate cover. Went home and looked it up. Law he quoted had to do with altering VIN #'s.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Over the last week I had to pull my weapon in self defense 3 times. We don't always run into nice people. Twice this summer I ran into card carrying ltch owners. One was on his way to "have words" with a person who was seeing his "girlfriend". The second time was a guy in a white malibu with Kentucky plates. Just 5 minutes before a guy was shot. The description was a white malibu with Kentucky plates. We stopped the car only 8 blocks away. How will these two guys tell their stories to their friends? The first guy will not have anything positive to say aboutt his police encounter.

You're doing the same thing here that we are talking about in this thread. Only telling enough of the story to justify "your" side of it. So, carrying a gun while being irritated and seeking to solve issues is in itself is a crime?!? You're not guilty of a crime before it happens. I've been very irritated while carrying and yet I've never had more than a rare speeding ticket on my record while I've carried a sidearm since I was 18.

I understand your reasoning though. Indeed, there are those who complain about everything and fail to see the error in their own ways. Given the nature of many of the people LEO's encounter it's difficult to not assume them all to be the same. That however doesn't make it "right." Passing every occurance off as such though does not help to keep a department efficient and improving.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    This.

All my encounters were fine. But good encounters don't garner ten pages at INGO with a plethora of sidetracks, LOLcats, Printcraft jokes, etc.

That's not fair. :(

life20is20not20fair20unfair_xlarge.jpeg

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    You're doing the same thing here that we are talking about in this thread. Only telling enough of the story to justify "your" side of it. So, carrying a gun while being irritated and seeking to solve issues is in itself is a crime?!? You're not guilty of a crime before it happens. I've been very irritated while carrying and yet I've never had more than a rare speeding ticket on my record while I've carried a sidearm since I was 18.

I understand your reasoning though. Indeed, there are those who complain about everything and fail to see the error in their own ways. Given the nature of many of the people LEO's encounter it's difficult to not assume them all to be the same. That however doesn't make it "right." Passing every occurance off as such though does not help to keep a department efficient and improving.

Oh, my mistake ... he was holding it while walking down the street.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I've had two encounters with LEOs telling them I had a firearm with me and a LTCH in my possession. Neither cared, but just asked me to keep it holstered. No problem. No request to see my license. I even got the caliber I carry (.40) on the recommendation of a police officer when I asked one about getting a LTCH.
    I guess good stories just aren't interesting.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Netsecurity brings up a good point in that chances are, when you and a LEO have contact it is usually not for a good reason.

Maybe but all the LE encounters I've had have involved me not breaking the law.

The last one I had was not a problem. Young ISP trooper took my deer call a couple of years ago. He asked for my pink card, I gave it to him, he scampered back to his commission (ISP term) and called me in as I dragged the deer off I-65.

No muss, no fuss. Now Wheatfield and Broad Ripple are entirely different matters.:D

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson

Just curious. In Indiana? I believe the law here is 21 to legally carry a sidearm unless you're talking about somewhere else. (or were carrying when you weren't supposed to.)

My mistake--just looked it up. Sorry.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Maybe but all the LE encounters I've had have involved me not breaking the law.

The last one I had was not a problem. Young ISP trooper took my deer call a couple of years ago. He asked for my pink card, I gave it to him, he scampered back to his commission (ISP term) and called me in as I dragged the deer off I-65.

No muss, no fuss. Now Wheatfield and Broad Ripple are entirely different matters.:D
    Wheatfield and Broad Ripple?? I don't know that I'm familiar with the reasoning behind the reference???

You're always soo......"leading" :D:):

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    I've only had TWO LEO encounters regarding my firearm. One was absolutely NOT positive. The other wasn't necessarily "good", but it wasn't really too bad either (at least when comparing it to the other). Cop came up behind me, unannounced and placed their hand on my weapon. Other than that they were friendly though.

Aside from that, I've had no firearms related run ins with LEO's.
    An officer coming up behind you and putting his hand on your weapon is just an idiot. What happens if you turned and fired your backup or something? Turned and assaulted him.....him touching you without identifying himself is assault.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    An officer coming up behind you and putting his hand on your weapon is just an idiot. What happens if you turned and fired your backup or something? Turned and assaulted him.....him touching you without identifying himself is assault.
    I've often wondered this. Especially since my friend had the same thing happen to him in Indianapolis.

I'm pretty sure I'd go to jail because I don't wear a badge. Law doesn't apply when media gets involved (Trayvon). I'd be a cop killer, even if I was in the right. The sad truth in today's society.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Just curious. In Indiana? I believe the law here is 21 to legally carry a sidearm unless you're talking about somewhere else. (or were carrying when you weren't supposed to.)

My mistake--just looked it up. Sorry.

21 to purchase a firearm from an FFL. 18 to get an LTCH and carry. You would just need provided a firearm from someone or purchased via a private sale.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Simple, it is because most chance encounters with LEO's involve the officer suspecting you as committing a crime, and seeking to punish you for it, right or wrong.

Sometimes our chance encounters with non-LEOs involve the officer talking with people about the law, the weather, guns, cars, etc. i've even had chance encounters where I played basketball, threw a football, and went sledding (in uniform) with kids in the 'hood. Not every chance encounter = enforcement action.

And you may not realize it, but LEOs don't punish people, the courts do.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Sometimes our chance encounters with non-LEOs involve the officer talking with people about the law, the weather, guns, cars, etc. i've even had chance encounters where I played basketball, threw a football, and went sledding (in uniform) with kids in the 'hood. Not every chance encounter = enforcement action.

More officers in the Indy area need to to learn from you:twocents:

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage

And you may not realize it, but LEOs don't punish people, the courts do.:

You may not realize it, but some try

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    to be honest, I can only think of 1 interaction with a LEO that was bad, and even that wasn't all that bad, I just think he made a bad decision, and I was a young kid at the time.

regardless, 99.9% of my LEO interactions are good. Hell, the local FFL I use most of the time is a city LEO!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

technically? Sure.

Realistically, if you pull someone over (for something illegal, not just to make quota), impound their car, and take them to jail (hey, either they REALLY broke the law, or you had a heck of a quota to meet), I would say that the punishment started right there. The courts may just hand out a tad more.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    technically? Sure.

Realistically, if you pull someone over (for something illegal, not just to make quota), impound their car, and take them to jail (hey, either they REALLY broke the law, or you had a heck of a quota to meet), I would say that the punishment started right there. The courts may just hand out a tad more.

I don't have a quota. And the process that leads to punishment may start with me (or any other LEO), but the final determination of what punishment "fits the crime" is up to the court.

Top Bottom