Why is everyone's encounter with LEO's always bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I personally have only had a couple LEO's ask for me LTCH and none of them asked for my firearm nor were they rude at all. In fact i recently got stopped on a country road by a Conservation officer for riding a unregistered 4-wheeler (Did not know that it is now a law to have ATV's registered) but anyway, I was OC'ing my Glock 19 while riding and the Officer clearly saw my firearm on my side and did not even ask if a had my LTCH, I had to say "Just in case you were wondering, I am a LTCH holder" he said "Alright" did not even ask to see my card. He did however write me a ticket :n00b: $125..... Expensive 4wheeler ride :(

But i was just curious to hear of anyone else's stories (positive story) about their encounters with LE. :ingo:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They're not, it's just that "good" interactions arent nearly a interesting as "bad" one.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've only had TWO LEO encounters regarding my firearm. One was absolutely NOT positive. The other wasn't necessarily "good", but it wasn't really too bad either (at least when comparing it to the other). Cop came up behind me, unannounced and placed their hand on my weapon. Other than that they were friendly though.

Aside from that, I've had no firearms related run ins with LEO's.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Just like in retail, if you have a good experience, you might tell one person,if you have a bad experience you wil tell at least 10 people.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I honestly would flip my lid if someone came up behind me and put their hand on my gun. That officer would have had a formal complaint filed against him.

I've only had TWO LEO encounters regarding my firearm. One was absolutely NOT positive. The other wasn't necessarily "good", but it wasn't really too bad either (at least when comparing it to the other). Cop came up behind me, unannounced and placed their hand on my weapon. Other than that they were friendly though.

Aside from that, I've had no firearms related run ins with LEO's.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I honestly would flip my lid if someone came up behind me and put their hand on my gun. That officer would have had a formal complaint filed against him.

I should have, but was younger at the time. The only reason I didn't react violently (assuming it was a threat) was because my friend who was walking with me happened to be walking a step or two ahead of me, turned around, and noticed them coming up just in time enough to give me a nod and a look while mouthing "don't do it." Luckily, I managed to process what he was doing fast enough because at that moment I felt the hand.

Looking back now, I really wished I had gotten their ID's and complained.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I think I posted one good LEO encounter at a gas station, but he didn't really confront me so I can't remember if I wrote about it or not.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Because ALL JBTs are LEOs.
    Plus it's human nature to write about a bad encounter than a good one.
    Look at reviews of products online. Sure you have a few "great product, does abc, zyx" but mainily the long reviews are all the negative ones while the good reviews just give it a 5 star rating and leave no comment.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground

When I have been disarmed my hands where behind my head and a few guns on me. Out of six encounters only one was good for me.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    In fact i recently got stopped on a country road by a Conservation officer...

The only OC interactions I've had have been with Game Wardens. None of them have freaked out, none of them have asked to see anything. Only one asked me if I had a license. Kind of went like this "do you have a license for these (looking at fish in my cooler)?" Me: Yep. GW: And do you have a license for that (looking at the 686 on my hip)?" Me: Yep. That's all it was to it.

I suspect that most Game Wardens grew up around firearms and a large percentage of people they come across have firearms on them, so it's just not a big deal. The ones I've met seem to be very common sense guys.

Seems like most of the bad LEO interactions we hear about come from city departments with cops that seem to have something to prove and believe their opinion weighs greater than law:dunno:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Over the last week I had to pull my weapon in self defense 3 times. We don't always run into nice people. Twice this summer I ran into card carrying ltch owners. One was on his way to "have words" with a person who was seeing his "girlfriend". The second time was a guy in a white malibu with Kentucky plates. Just 5 minutes before a guy was shot. The description was a white malibu with Kentucky plates. We stopped the car only 8 blocks away. How will these two guys tell their stories to their friends? The first guy will not have anything positive to say aboutt his police encounter.

purd002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    While all of my experiences with LE have been 100% positive, I still spend a lot of time reading this section and have definitely tweaked my approach based on others negative interactions.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Over the last week I had to pull my weapon in self defense 3 times. We don't always run into nice people. Twice this summer I ran into card carrying ltch owners. One was on his way to "have words" with a person who was seeing his "girlfriend". The second time was a guy in a white malibu with Kentucky plates. Just 5 minutes EARLIER a guy was shot. The description was a white malibu with Kentucky plates. We stopped the car only 8 blocks away. How will these two guys tell their stories to their friends? The first guy will not have anything positive to say aboutt his police encounter.

FIFY! It took me reading it twice to realize that you didn't stop this guy BEFORE the shooting.:)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    They're not, it's just that "good" interactions arent nearly a interesting as "bad" one.

Simple, it is because most chance encounters with LEO's involve the officer suspecting you as committing a crime, and seeking to punish you for it, right or wrong.

I'm going to go with both of these answers. Kut is correct in that many encounters are basic, do not violate anyone's rights and everyone goes about their day. Hardly worth reporting and even when they are they do not generate the interest of the bad encounters.

Netsecurity brings up a good point in that chances are, when you and a LEO have contact it is usually not for a good reason. This creates a better than likely chance there is an issue already and add firearms or ignorance to the equation and you get an epic thread on INGO.

Personally I have had good, neutral and very bad experiences. I have posted pretty much all of them so it would appear that while my initial posting reflects the proper ratio of good to bad experiences when having a LEO contact, the publicity and interest by the bad ones wash out the positive ones. I bet almost anyone here can name one or even two of my three negative experiences but unlikely that anyone can name a positive one.

Top Bottom